How much acceleration loss?

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
how much acceleration will I lose going to 35 inch Nittos in a manual tranny rubbicon?
Is it drastic?
Sponsored

Sponsored

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Yeap, so increase of
17x8.5 I believe.
The combination is probably 99 pounds
those rims are actually cool if it wasnt for the false beadlock. If acceleration is your main goal as far as maintaining go for lighter weight! Thestock rims are 21 the “33” inch ko2 stockers are 51lbs. Actually a super light combo. Not the best for durability but from a engineering standpoint pretty solid from a suspension reaction and acceleration standpoint. My advise- get the lightest weights possible. Off road crawling low speed weight is not much of an issue but if you are doing this for looks, that load range E tire is gonna get old really fast and definetly hop more on bumps being that youre adding 60lbs + of unsprung to the truck...

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Yeap, so increase of

those rims are actually cool if it wasnt for the false beadlock. If acceleration is your main goal as far as maintaining go for lighter weight! Thestock rims are 21 the “33” inch ko2 stockers are 51lbs. Actually a super light combo. Not the best for durability but from a engineering standpoint pretty solid from a suspension reaction and acceleration standpoint. My advise- get the lightest weights possible. Off road crawling low speed weight is not much of an issue but if you are doing this for looks, that load range E tire is gonna get old really fast and definetly hop more on bumps being that youre adding 60lbs + of unsprung to the truck...
I could get the 35 KO2 c range which is 63 pounds. That’s about the lightest. Or I just keep the stock tires and change the rims.
I just don’t want to compromise the acceleration. I feel the manual is a wee bit sluggish to begin with.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
I could get the 35 KO2 c range which is 63 pounds. That’s about the lightest. Or I just keep the stock tires and change the rims.
I just don’t want to compromise the acceleration. I feel the manual is a wee bit sluggish to begin with.
Ya its basic physics. Odds are someone will chime in and say its not that bad to justify their purchase , but reality is if you dont re-gear to 4.88’s it wont be as snappy.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the 315/70/17 KO2 and stock Rubi wheels for the weight. Around 85lbs per wheel/tire. I'm happy with my acceleration and yours would be peppier with 4.10 gears compared to my 3.45's.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
I went with the 315/70/17 KO2 and stock Rubi wheels for the weight. Around 85lbs per wheel/tire. I'm happy with my acceleration and yours would be peppier with 4.10 gears compared to my 3.45's.
This^^^

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
While weight is always a factor in acceleration, a major player in the effects is the fulcrum arm, or more plainly, the radius of the tire. The longer the fulcrum arm, the harder the engine has to work to rotate the tire, and the lower the accerleration, lower brakng, lower fuel economy. So unless you're lacking traction during acceleration, larger diameter tires will rob acceleration. Re-gearing will recover some of the loss from a taller tire, but not all.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Get the Pedal Commander.
The pedal commander does nothing to increase acceleration. It just changes the feel of the pedal. It does NOT make the jeep faster.

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
The pedal commander does nothing to increase acceleration. It just changes the feel of the pedal. It does NOT make the jeep faster.
It does not increase hp, but it does boosts throttle response. Which will make the Jeep feel less sluggish.

Lockheed

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 BMW X4
I have 17” Fuel Beast rims and Toyo 35x17x12.5 M/T’s with mopar lift
You will definatley feel a diference in rolling resistance right away, but you get used to it
Rubis hust dont look right withh 33’s
I’m wishing I went 37
Sponsored