Sponsored

How May Miles on Your 3.6?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think gear oils have changed much since that report. There are no API "upgrades" for gear oil. Also since Red Line had not disputed the data and had been for sale and bought by Phillips 66, I doubt the formulation has been improved much. If you read the report, there is more than a split hair difference in performance.
I will not get into a discussion that went off the rails as the other thread did, I will only say that ALL oils (including gear oils) have improved since 2007 as have testing methodologies and it would be short-sighted to assume otherwise.
Sponsored

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport 2 door Bikini Pearl
I will only say that ALL oils (including gear oils) have improved since 2007 as have testing methodologies and it would be short-sighted to assume otherwise.
Any proof?

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Here's what I'll do. When I get to 25k on the JK's rear diff gear lube, I'll sample it and send it to Blackstone for analysis. That's a cheap synthetic 75w140 and we'll see where it lands with viscosity and we'll see the shape it is in. If it shears down from a 140, it won't necessarily mean it isn't protecting. We'll see what kind of shape it is in overall. My money says it will be fine. It will have had a mix of driving, but mostly city, with a bit of towing my fishing boat.

I'd bet most of the brand names are probably a bit better than the Supertech in there, so if it comes out looking decent, then I'd run about any of them with confidence. I have run Supertech as long as 50k and when it was drained out, it looked good, with no burnt smell or anything concerning. I am sure I could have run it longer.

Carbon, btw, sees the temps in real time on his dash under varying conditions, so I think any data he has gathered from that will be more applicable to our Jeeps than any test that tries to simulate it. His is real-world. That's what I'm interested in.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Any proof?
Any proof that they haven't? It goes both ways Tim--you stated that "I don't think gear oils have changed much since that report. " So in effect, you are stating that none of the oils in the list have improved since 2007. What proof do you have they have not?

Again, I will not get into the type of discussion that you seem to want to have in every post.

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport 2 door Bikini Pearl
Any proof that they haven't? It goes both ways Tim--you stated that "I don't think gear oils have changed much since that report. " So in effect, you are stating that none of the oils in the list have improved since 2007. What proof do you have they have not?

Again, I will not get into the type of discussion that you seem to want to have in every post.
I said "much". I showed Red Line's gear oil tech paper is dated 2002. Specs and typical properties haven't seem to have changed. The label looks the same. API GL-5 has been around for decades. You said they've changed but offer no proof. You said ALL gear oils have improved since 2007 and yet have shown no proof. Still waiting... Here is more proof that 2 gear oils did not improve. In fact, the Mobil 1 and Valvoline now have worse Brookfield viscosity numbers than they did in 2007 https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/lit/databulletins/g2043.pdf?zo=1181889

Last edited:

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I said "much". I showed Red Line's gear oil tech paper is dated 2002. Specs and typical properties haven't seem to have changed. The label looks the same. API GL-5 has been around for decades. You said they've changed but offer no proof. You said all gear oils have improved since 2007 and yet have shown no proof. Still waiting...
Not going to engage...

JtwJL

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
We were talking about TRANSMISSION fluid. I've changed the axle and t-case fluid multiple times already.
No we weren't, my initial question that started the conversation was in regards to axle fluid, not transmission fluid.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I said "much". I showed Red Line's gear oil tech paper is dated 2002. Specs and typical properties haven't seem to have changed. The label looks the same. API GL-5 has been around for decades. You said they've changed but offer no proof. You said ALL gear oils have improved since 2007 and yet have shown no proof. Still waiting... Here is more proof that 2 gear oils did not improve. In fact, the Mobil 1 and Valvoline now have worse Brookfield viscosity numbers than they did in 2007 https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/lit/databulletins/g2043.pdf?zo=1181889
"Much" is pretty vague. Kinda splitting hairs a bit there?

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Up until I ran Supertech, I ran Mobil 1 or Valvoline and never had an issue. I've always towed fairly light loads on the Jeeps and heavy loads on Suburbans/Tahoes/pickups over the years. Never a problem. The only problem I've ever had was caused by water intrusion as I described above, with my 93 YJ, that took care of the rings/pinions. No gear lube made by man would have protected those gears in that situation.

For my use, even if a 140 sheared down significantly, it would still wind up heavier than a 90 weight and would handle any load I put on it.

For the record, my first run of Supertech in the JK came at a time I felt it needed changed and I was tight on cash. I also talked to a farmer that had run it for years in heavy equipment and said it served him very well at a great savings. I'm curious and looking forward to the UOA on it. I've got 10k to go, I think.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Up until I ran Supertech, I ran Mobil 1 or Valvoline and never had an issue. I've always towed fairly light loads on the Jeeps and heavy loads on Suburbans/Tahoes/pickups over the years. Never a problem. The only problem I've ever had was caused by water intrusion as I described above, with my 93 YJ, that took care of the rings/pinions. No gear lube made by man would have protected those gears in that situation.

For my use, even if a 140 sheared down significantly, it would still wind up heavier than a 90 weight and would handle any load I put on it.

For the record, my first run of Supertech in the JK came at a time I felt it needed changed and I was tight on cash. I also talked to a farmer that had run it for years in heavy equipment and said it served him very well at a great savings. I'm curious and looking forward to the UOA on it. I've got 10k to go, I think.
Typically my take on this as well--there is **usually** enough safety factor in a 75W-140 oil that even with shearing and oxidation, you are still well in the acceptable range unless you are towing extremely heavy (e.g. near the limits of the vehicle) and even then a sample will tell you where you are.

Far too many axles that run 100K++ miles with no OC for any of the mainstream oils to have the suggested issues. I am seriously thinking about trying Red Line on my next OC simply due to the ester base (Group V) that it has and that group's ability to handle higher heat.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I dont get some of you guys. Why keep testing your Differential Oils. Just change them every 15-20 thousand miles, with high quality synthetic, and stop worrying.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I dont get some of you guys. Why keep testing your Differential Oils. Just change them every 15-20 thousand miles, with high quality synthetic, and stop worrying.
Who said they were worrying? I'm in this for entertainment. I enjoy maintaining my vehicles. If it ain't your bag, no biggie. It is mine, though. I don't smoke or drink. I blow money on good oil, filters, and UOAs. Just a hobby.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Who said they were worrying? I'm in this for entertainment. I enjoy maintaining my vehicles. If it ain't your bag, no biggie. It is mine, though. I don't smoke or drink. I blow money on good oil, filters, and UOAs. Just a hobby.
i understand. Really. I restore, hone, and shave with straight razors for a hobby.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
i understand. Really. I restore, hone, and shave with straight razors for a hobby.

Now that is a skill! I've always imagined that one of those things done right could give a better shave than thes 4 blade modern wonders I use now, which don't do nearly as well as their 4 blade marketing promises. The worry of slipping with a sharp straight razor and cutting the jugular is the only hangup, Lol!

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Though somewhat anecdotal, it also adds to the knowledge and collects data about the axles and how they operate with various oils which can help everyone make a decision about oil brand, viscosity, and oil change intervals.
Sponsored