How May Miles on Your 3.6?

JtwJL

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I saw that, thanks! I was mainly asking about his JK and what additional things he may have done down the road to help on-top of regular oil changes etc... Ceramic coating, Line-X for example.
Sponsored

JohnQSr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojito Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2 Dr.
Occupation
Retired Navy, Public Safety
I have a whopping 414 miles, yes, that was correct 414 on my 2020 Mojito JL Sport 2 Dr. Purchased, 2 weeks ago, have added a couple of items, such as Quadratec Side steps, flag tire cover and clothes hanger(thanks to this Forum). Waiting on neoprene seatcovers, which are on backorder.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
That's awesome to hear, the whole mindset of "Keeping it forever" is helping with the amount I am putting into mods. Any tips you learned for keeping it new for that long? I take it through a non-brush car wash typically once every week or two (Salty winters in Canada, also wash it after every trail), Synthetic oil changes ~5,000 miles... About to hit 60k KM so gonna change out the axle fluid soon.
Well, you are on the right track. It has never been in a touch car wash and only touchless in winter. The rest of the time it gets a microfiber mitt wash. it gets Turtle Wax Ice every 3 to 4 months, and it gets cleaned immediately when done off-roading. In the winter, I do a touchless wash with an underbody spray, every chance I get. I also spray Fluid Film inside the frame rails in the fall, and finally, I hit any rust spots, even the tiniest ones, with Rustoleum Rust Reformer and Sealer. That stuff has really been the key. The only places that have seen any measurable rust has been the gas tank skid plate and the rock rails. I'm probably still a few years away from replacing the skid plate, but I did replace the rock rails with a set off a guy's JK that only were on for 5k miles. He sold them to me for 50 bucks and I spent $250 having Line-X coated on them. The rest of it is mainly Mobil 1 oil, Fram Ultra filters, an air filter every 25k and new plugs every 40k. I change differential fluid at about 30k, ususally with Vavloline synthetic or Walmart Supertech synthetic.

I also put a set of new Quadratec rims on it and put the 33" BFG takeoffs from the JL on them. The JK was due for tires anyway, at that point.

Here she is....
PxZTOIG.jpg
OgzFj1g.jpg

JtwJL

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Well, you are on the right track. It has never been in a touch car wash and only touchless in winter. The rest of the time it gets a microfiber mitt wash. it gets Turtle Wax Ice every 3 to 4 months, and it gets cleaned immediately when done off-roading. In the winter, I do a touchless wash with an underbody spray, every chance I get. I also spray Fluid Film inside the frame rails in the fall, and finally, I hit any rust spots, even the tiniest ones, with Rustoleum Rust Reformer and Sealer. That stuff has really been the key. The only places that have seen any measurable rust has been the gas tank skid plate and the rock rails. I'm probably still a few years away from replacing the skid plate, but I did replace the rock rails with a set off a guy's JK that only were on for 5k miles. He sold them to me for 50 bucks and I spent $250 having Line-X coated on them. The rest of it is mainly Mobil 1 oil, Fram Ultra filters, an air filter every 25k and new plugs every 40k. I change differential fluid at about 30k, ususally with Vavloline synthetic or Walmart Supertech synthetic.

I also put a set of new Quadratec rims on it and put the 33" BFG takeoffs from the JL on them. The JK was due for tires anyway, at that point.

Here she is....
Jeep Wrangler JL How May Miles on Your 3.6? OgzFj1
Jeep Wrangler JL How May Miles on Your 3.6? OgzFj1
Damn she is clean! Thanks for the tips.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I honestly never heard of that claim until a couple days ago reading here, I was going off the Jeeps maintenance schedule and it says to change it out at 60,000 KM, to change it in the JL its unbelievably easy from the video I watched lol.
!!! 60,000KM... that's only 38k miles! I was going to do a tranny fluid change at 60k miles, where are you seeing that the fluid should be changed that soon at 38k miles?

BTW... speak english, I don't want to have to keep googling KM to Miles ;)

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
!!! 60,000KM... that's only 38k miles! I was going to do a tranny fluid change at 60k miles, where are you seeing that the fluid should be changed that soon at 38k miles?

I would think 70k miles would be about the right time based on my previous "sealed for life ATs"
Keep in mind the ZF8spd requires a new pan since the filter is integrated to the pan. Doing it more often would seem overkill. Maybe they'll come up with an aftermarket pan that will have a drain plug so you can do the more simple drain & fill every 30k miles, but until then IMO that 70k mark seems about right :)

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I would think 70k miles would be about the right time based on my previous "sealed for life ATs"
Keep in mind the ZF8spd requires a new pan since the filter is integrated to the pan. Doing it more often would seem overkill. Maybe they'll come up with an aftermarket pan that will have a drain plug so you can do the more simple drain & fill every 30k miles, but until then IMO that 70k mark seems about right :)
Integrated filter into the pan?! WTH... why do the Nazis need to over engineer everything?

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's
2018 JLUR took delivery January 2018
18K miles.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Integrated filter into the pan?! WTH... why do the Nazis need to over engineer everything?
I know, at least it's not welded to the transmission case, probably on the next generation builds though, lol

JtwJL

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS

"Change your front and rear axle fluid if you use your vehicle for police, taxi, fleet, off-road, or frequent trailer towing @ 64,000KM/40,000Miles"

Transfer case fluid change is at 96,000KM/60,000Miles.

Also "Speak English" pfft, U.S needs to change to KM like the rest of the world haha

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
"Change your front and rear axle fluid if you use your vehicle for police, taxi, fleet, off-road, or frequent trailer towing @ 64,000KM/40,000Miles"

Transfer case fluid change is at 96,000KM/60,000Miles.

Also "Speak English" pfft, U.S needs to change to KM like the rest of the world haha
Based upon what I saw when I dumped the axle fluid at 5,000 miles, I would never go to 40K before changing it.

Oil change and photos of internals:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...t-axle-temperature-gauges.41835/#post-1107279

Here are two UOAs (5,000 miles and 10,000 miles):

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/first-axle-oc-uoa-results.42567/

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Damn she is clean! Thanks for the tips.
Thanks! She has been well cared-for, but not babied. Plenty of off-roading, including the Easter Jeep Safari in 2015, trips to Windrock, Kentucky, Michigan, and local places.

I forgot to mention that the oil change intervals were 6k miles. I'd have gone further on Mobil 1 EP, but 6k is the limit for the lifetime powertrain warranty. No complaints, though, because she runs like new, so 6k has worked out well and several used oil analyses showed that the oil was in great shape when it was drained. She's got Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5w20 in the oil pan now due to a crazy deal where I not only got it free, but with a $10 rebate on top of that!

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I typically do the diffs around 25k. High quality gear oil is cheap and the drain/fill is easy. Even Walmart Supertech Synthetic is good, and the change is cheap insurance.

I also change it as a precaution if I've been through deep water. I lost rings/pinions in my 93 YJ after probably a teaspoon of water got into the axles through the seals and I didn't realize it. Lesson learned. It was an expensive rebuild at a time I wasn't making much money. A few bucks and and a little time would have spared me the agony of it.

JtwJL

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Based upon what I saw when I dumped the axle fluid at 5,000 miles, I would never go to 40K before changing it.

Oil change and photos of internals:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...t-axle-temperature-gauges.41835/#post-1107279

Here are two UOAs (5,000 miles and 10,000 miles):

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/first-axle-oc-uoa-results.42567/
I typically do the diffs around 25k. High quality gear oil is cheap and the drain/fill is easy. Even Walmart Supertech Synthetic is good, and the change is cheap insurance.

I also change it as a precaution if I've been through deep water. I lost rings/pinions in my 93 YJ after probably a teaspoon of water got into the axles through the seals and I didn't realize it. Lesson learned. It was an expensive rebuild at a time I wasn't making much money. A few bucks and and a little time would have spared me the agony of it.
Looks like I might do this the weekend, trying to take care of her as much as possible lol.

What synthetic oil would you guys recommend for the m186 front, m220 rear (Sahara with LSD)? New to a lot of this so i'll still do my research.
Sponsored