Sponsored

How many people have already bought and traded in their Gladiators?

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
When they announced the Gladiator Concept back in 04/05 I swore I was going to get one. I had just replaced my TJ for a Ram Pickup. But when the production was green lighted over a decade later it had changed a lot. The side tire carrier, shorter bed and extra cab that opened up suicide door style were great touches that really had the right dimensions (for me). Don't get me wrong, I like the Gladiators. But to me they really needed to be lifted and have 37's to look right in my eye. When I bought my JLUR a couple months ago, I gave them another look. I'm happy with my decision, to each their own.

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 5.07.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 5.06.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 5.07.03 PM.png
I personally love the side spare tire mount. However, we all need to remember a couple of things.

* MPG and federal requirements. That thing is basically a big sail hanging off the side.

Hmmm. I’m in North Louisiana and searching on Car Fax JTR’s with around 20K miles within a 500 mile radius seem to be about $15-20K off what I can build one for on Jeep’s website. Disclaimer: I have been wrong before. A lot. :)
I had this in a previous response - sorry for the repeat

In Sept 2020 - I was intent on finding a used Gladiator with less than 10K miles. The used ones I could find were just about the same price that I could get a NEW Gladiator from the dealer with incentives
Sponsored

WemoVealot

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO, 2021 JLUR
Are you a Renegade owner? You lost me.

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
I'm not sure that really applies here.

People like 4 door pickups over 2 door pickups because the price increase makes sense from a capability standpoint.

4 door pickups offer more legroom than any cars, with the exception of stretched wheelbase sedans such as the long S Class. This means that they're great for driving a family or extra workers around.

4 door pickups also offer lockable storage space, in addition to the bed space.

In any case, the quotes in the article (from 2012) are bonkers and a classic case of fear mongering. Just check out this one:

But the reality is that Detroit’s car makers need trucks to be affordable to stay in business. CAFE compliance for full-size trucks is a major topic in the auto industry, with concerns about rising costs being a major bugaboo for the Big Three. Ford is said to be moving to an aluminum body for the next F-150, while various reports have claimed that compliance with CAFE 2025 standards could add as much as $15,000 to the cost of a full-size truck. This kind of financial burden would make pickup trucks unaffordable to a significant portion of its customer base, and erode a massive source of profits for American automakers. As Niedermeyer noted, full size trucks would “…become a purely professional purchase, bought only by those who use them for work or by the wealthy.” A European-style consumption tax based on emissions of fuel efficiency would be devastating for the full-sized truck market, and it’s hardly a coincidence that CAFE is structured in such a way that best protects these vehicles.
There isn't $15,000 in emissions equipment on a pickup.

Trucks didn't become a purchase only for the wealthy or tradesman.

Instead, we have the Big 3 building larger trucks and variants that have stupidly high horsepower and torque ratings. BTW, when I write "stupidly," I don't mean that the trucks are stupid, just that it is crazy how much output manufacturers can get out of engines these days - numbers that were only available on mid-6-figure supercars or race cars that had to be rebuilt after each race are now available in consumer pickups.

betsy

First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon 2dr ,2016 jk rubicon hard rock 2dr
I traded the 18 JL rubicon for my 20 JT rubicon, sold the 16 JK rubicon, bought the wife a used Renegade, 17 with 16k miles, we hated it, ordered a 21 JL rubicon, surprisingly only took 3 1/2 weeks , happy now, truck and 2dr rubicon , life is good, my retirement plan has come together.

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Thinking about selling my JLUR and buying a JT. What are the Pros and Cons considering the below?

Will be a Designated Driver and see light to moderate offroad use. I already have a truck for truck duties, I just like the idea of having a roof top tent level with the cab and the bed for muddy gear and miscellaneous. I've always used a ground tent etc. Install a mild lift and 37s, you know the deal

....didn't even read this thread, gimmie the cliffs (cliff notes)

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I bought a 2020 fully loaded Gladiator Rubicon in August of last year after trading in my 2014 JKU Sahara. I really loved it at first and then after about a month or two really started missing the enclosed cargo space of a 4 door wrangler. I know everyone says "Just put a cargo cover or topper on it to enclose it." I just prefer to have the enclosed space that is part of the enclosed part of the Jeep personally. I also was not a fan of how long the Gladiator was after coming from a JKU. So, I put an order in for a 2021 4Xe Rubicon and traded in the Gladiator. Glad those hold their value and dealerships are paying top dollar for used cars right now. It got me wondering how many Wrangler owners got a Gladiator only to regret it and are going back or went back to a Wrangler? I'm not saying they are bad, I'm just saying it wasn't for me.
Exactly I remember the Hummer was out a lot of people tried it in for the Hummer pickup and regretted it You can't haul much in the pickup bed That's long It's not that big of a bed You can't go everywhere cheap go The bed the it's a longer vehicle I've seen many people scraping the vehicle and like you said I use the enclosed back of my Jeep all the time I would hate like when I had my pickup truck which I love trucks had many pickup trucks when I had to use them for all of my trailers and boats but never could put anything except in the backseat right there I hated it I don't want to go back to that unless I have to have a truck in for towing I think the Jeep looks so much better that's my everyone's opinion and has a ride or whatever I know I'm just mumbling cuz I'm half asleep but nope I would never get glad to hear You did right

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Thinking about selling my JLUR and buying a JT. What are the Pros and Cons considering the below?

Will be a Designated Driver and see light to moderate offroad use. I already have a truck for truck duties, I just like the idea of having a roof top tent level with the cab and the bed for muddy gear and miscellaneous. I've always used a ground tent etc. Install a mild lift and 37s, you know the deal

Only you know what you really need Max, seems like all you've done in your epic JLUR is more than most of us could dream of. I'd keep your current Rubicon and maybe a little pup trailer if needed.

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None

I did read the thread either. But for your usage, I’d say pros outweigh the cons.
Some complain about the long wheelbase/breakover but I see folks doing just fine on trails. Look at the story till now channel. It for sure needs a lift and bigger tires but you’re already planning on that so good to go.
And with the current price cuts on JT’s, it doesn’t cost much to switch over.

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I think this is just another case of "get what you need/want" but with the caveat of "know what you really need/want before you buy in".
Ended up reading the whole thread and think above quote are cliffs for this one @moparcruiser

Only you know what you really need Max, seems like all you've done in your epic JLUR is more than most of us could dream of. I'd keep your current Rubicon and maybe a little pup trailer if needed.
I think a trailer is more than I'm willing to deal with. Trust me I've thought long and hard about going that route Brad but I just don't want the added complexity of route planning when it comes to that. A JT with a mild life and 37s sounds like the easy button. Bob the bed and throw on a high clearance rear bumper for better take-off, then add a rack in the bed with a RTT that isn't higher than the roof line...then maybe figure out a long range fuel tank....I was over on the JT Forums reading all day and had no idea fuel capacity was the same as the JL. What a bummer

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
When covid hit and work shut down, I received my tag and insurance renewals for my TJ, JK, and diesel pickup. Not sure of the future, I bought a new 2020 Gladiator Rubicon to replace all 3. Added some mods and 37s, but it just wasn't as fun and capable as a Wrangler. So, this year we are back in a JLUR. Glad to be back. Although very similar, the JL is like driving a Jeep again! The JT was just too long for me.
That was weird. Hope it never happens again!

20210710_104153.jpg

20230708_090206.jpg

Sponsored

Chance_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I ordered my JT Rubicon on day 1. Had it June of 2019 for $46,100. It was a great compromise between and Jeep and a full size truck.

In 2020 I moved to CO and found myself doing a LOT more wheeling. The gladiator definitely had its weaknesses due to its length. I moved up to 37s to try and compensate but it was just too large. The final straw was when we decided the RTT thing wasn't for us.

April of 2022 I traded the Gladiator for a used JLU sport. They gave me 53,000 for the gladiator (33k miles) and sold me the 2018 JLU for 31,000 (28k miles). The JLU is so much more capable in my opinion. I'm about 9k into my lift, tires, fully built rubi axles with 4.88s, bumpers, and skids. Almost everything I bought has been used except for my tires, bumpers, skids and sliders.

PXL_20230829_152258981.jpg

20220516_190445.jpg

20220409_115249.jpg

KevinC11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys, 2023 JT Mojave
Occupation
Gunsmith/EMT

I've been in your shoes.
Bought a 2020 JTR and it has been a very capable Jeep. I always was a tent camper and didn't want to tow a camper. This year I went and bought an Aliner (1500#), and now have the option with the JT.

A rack and roof top tent will still allow the whole truck bed for additional storage,, something you shouldn't overlook.

Yesterday I went and traded it in for a 2023 JTM. I just couldn't pass on the incentives going on.

Pros and Cons - I think in your case the Pros will prevail.

KevinC

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast

So, personally, my view of a JT is as a companion vehicle to a JL and not an outright replacement. JTs require much more height to do the same things off road as a JL, and require a lot of chopping to mitigate the size limitations, but you can't completely eradicate the limitations. If you leave it long, you then have to deal with the length on the trail.

However, as a companion vehicle, it shines IMO. This what my wife and I plan on doing - getting a JT that will be for milder trails/lines, can carry the camping equipment, tow in an extreme pinch if your JL/JLU is light enough (not a tow rig by any means, but can be pressed into service if needed), and act as a recovery vehicle/parts gofer if I break the JL. For times we want to do milder trails for the views and such the JT has more options for carrying things and will be more comfortable due to the wheelbase. But it will never wheel like a JL/JLU. It will always be either lower in breakover or much tippier if you lift high enough to achieve acceptable breakover. It will always be long, even with a bed chop.

CreepyCrepe

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge Green JLUWS, 20 Honda Pilot Elite
Clubs

My first Jeep was a 21 JT high altitude in black. Between all the painted panels and the black I was constantly washing it and didn't want to take it anywhere because it was "too nice" and "too expensive". I sold it when we found out we were having a second kid to free up some more income and drove a 2011 Toyota Avalon for a while.

The Avalon was a great car, but it was about as stimulating as wallpaper paste. Decided I wanted another Jeep, but a basic one this time. Soft top, plastic fenders and more off road oriented. Opted for a Willys Sport and have loved it for the last 8k miles. The soft top is great. I love running around in safari mode with the front doors off. I've taken it to the Gulches ORV Park and found it more capable than my confidence in my driving abilities. Can't wait to go to Uwharrie. It already has scratches on it and that's ok, it's a Jeep. It's supposed to go out and do. If I keep it long enough it'll probably end up with a truck bed liner exterior anyway. My only regret is not getting the XR package as it is such a good deal for the upgraded axles alone.

With the incentives and prices falling like rocks on 23 JTs I have considered trading in for a JTR, but I'm not that motivated to switch. They would have to give me a stellar deal.
Sponsored