Sponsored

How many people have already bought and traded in their Gladiators?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
It's actually based on max tyre increase size, so 7% max diameter increase. Since the biggest size we get here is 255/75R17 the largest legal size is 305/70R17 315's/35's are too big. So it's not actually a max size just max increase :( We were all hoping the JL would come here with the 285 then we could legally run 35's
Then what rigs come in a way that I've seen folks have 37s on YT vids of trails in Australia?
Sponsored

WemoVealot

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO, 2021 JLUR
I think that they just plain look silly being sooo long for no reason, bad for off roading. I know three people that bought and already traded them back in.
An interesting contribution to the post and the forums. I don't recall ever hearing anyone say an entire line of Jeeps was "bad for off roading."

Which trim Gladiator did you trade in for your Wrangler? And which trails did your Gladiator handle poorly on?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
If the Gladiator came as a 2-door (think Brute) I'd consider it, but the current one is too long, and I don't need rear seats.

EDIT: I hadn't read the existing post before I commented. It sounds like many share this opinion. I'm still getting used to the length of my Unlimited - I've always owned 2-door Wranglers.

Pingbling23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 3.6 eTorque
If they offered the gladiator sport s with max tow and a 5.7 hemi for 45k I would have one in my garage right now. I’m probably getting a 2022 silverado lt trailboss with 6.2 later this year when the updated one comes out (hoping I’ll get it around 52k). Will be selling my 2008 avalanche. Got it in oct. 2007 and only has 60k miles. Resale on them are great right now at around 20-22k. Paid 42k for it in 2007.

Dagny07

First Name
Dagny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2012 JKUR, 2020 Powerwagon, 1956 F-100
I sold my Launch Edition in January and bought another Wrangler. Nothing but bad luck with that rig. I know others have fared better. But when a rig is in the shop every week and lets you down on the trail in the middle of nowhere, its not worth it.

Sponsored

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
If they offered the gladiator sport s with max tow and a 5.7 hemi for 45k I would have one in my garage right now. I’m probably getting a 2022 silverado lt trailboss with 6.2 later this year when the updated one comes out (hoping I’ll get it around 52k). Will be selling my 2008 avalanche. Got it in oct. 2007 and only has 60k miles. Resale on them are great right now at around 20-22k. Paid 42k for it in 2007.
I have a 2020 AT4, with the Duramax 3.0, love the millage,34 mpg on highway.
I do whish for a 5.7 Hemi in a Jeep Willys

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
Then what rigs come in a way that I've seen folks have 37s on YT vids of trails in Australia?
I didn't say people don't do it, you can get engineering etc but most just take a chance and hope they don't get pinged ;) I am past all that, ran 35's on my XJ and 6" lift, just looking for legal and easy :)

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
So if Ford starts selling the Bronco over there with 35s you can potentially go up to 37s? (2.45” increase)

I say the Bronco because I’m convinced their Sasquatch package will force Jeep to offer 35s from the factory.
Yep, but no doubt if they do we won't get it with 35's, same as we don't get the Rubicon with 33's :(

Firestarter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon
Wow, interesting. Personally I thought the Gladiator looked goofy because all I saw were Sports and Willys trims. I've only seen 1 other Rubi trim and I live near Los Angeles and bought mine at the beach. Once I saw the Rubicon trim in person I thought it looked great. With 37s I think that's where it looks its best though.

I've always wanted another Jeep. In 2010 I was torn between a TuRD Taco, which is what it turned out to be, and a JKUR. Didn't like the 3.8, wanted a truck, and I don't go on difficult trails. Taco was great off road with 32s and a 2" lift. But I still had to live with it and it was just a terrible truck.

Now, the Gladiator really drops in perfectly with what I wanted. I'd prefer a shorter wheel base like the Taco and think Jeep could have done a lot better on engineering it, but It's much shorter wheel base than a full-size, can tow 7k pounds, is not excessively wide like a full-size, has a bed, and has 4 doors. (currently 2 seats for a camping trip).

Basically it is a mini power wagon. If I were Jeep designing this, I would have made a 4 door, 4 foot bed truck with the front axle approximately 6" rearward and the rear axle 6" forward. No need for an amazing approach angle with such bad breakover and departure imho. I'd also have combined the bed and cab like on the avalanche so that you can remove the partition and have a 6 foot bed space or massive sleeping area with bed topper.

But I don't work for FCA (Stellantis?) so they don't care about my singular wants. What I care about is a decent tow rating, 7000lbs is more than enough for my needs, and an amazing 4wd system that can pull a light camper through some bad conditions. I don't "need" the lockers for the trails I drive, but having them and the ultra low lo-range really should help not getting stuck with a high gross combined weight.

Wranglers are really cool, and if I were fortunate enough like TrailRecon to own both a Power Wagon and JLU, then I'd buy a 2 door JL (which is my initials so it seems meant to be) along with a 6.7 Tremor. But I am a normal person (ish/debatable) and have to choose a swiss army knife instead of a dedicated set of tools. Which is what I think the Gladiator is.

Plus I got it for 10.6% under invoice (dealer offered 6.8% under invoice due to it sitting on the lot for so long and I got Jeep's incentives on top) since there are over 200 Gladiator Rubicons in my area where there was only 1 TuRD Pro and 11 ZR2.

I will say this last thing though, the more I look at it, the more I drive it, the more it makes me smile and the more I like it more than the Wrangler. I still think the small tire Sports and Willys trims look ridiculous though.

Sponsored

Firestarter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon
I didn't say people don't do it, you can get engineering etc but most just take a chance and hope they don't get pinged ;) I am past all that, ran 35's on my XJ and 6" lift, just looking for legal and easy :)
Some 4x4 Australia channel on youtube said you can run larger tires, but they have to go through "engineering." His truck had a little plaque showing it went through "engineering" for his modifications. He also said it's dependent on the area. IDK Australia at all, so just relaying this hearsay.

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
Me! :P
You know how long it took me to find a reg cab, Hemi, 3.92 gears, tow package, and hand crank windows? Almost 2-years! Now Carvana wants to buy it back from me for more than I paid for it brand new 3yrs ago?! Crazy times.

RAM01.jpg
Yes, these types of trucks are currently hot. They are readily available in Mexico and oversees but are being phased out in the north American market because of CAFE regulations, not because no one wants to buy them.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Nobody wants two door regular cab trucks, just like nobody wants two door JLs just look at the sales numbers.

Thegrants82

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
An interesting contribution to the post and the forums. I don't recall ever hearing anyone say an entire line of Jeeps was "bad for off roading."

Which trim Gladiator did you trade in for your Wrangler? And which trails did your Gladiator handle poorly on?
Interesting comment from a renegade owner I take it?
Sponsored