Sponsored

How many people have already bought and traded in their Gladiators?

AmarilloJLU

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon on order
I bought a 2020 fully loaded Gladiator Rubicon in August of last year after trading in my 2014 JKU Sahara. I really loved it at first and then after about a month or two really started missing the enclosed cargo space of a 4 door wrangler. I know everyone says "Just put a cargo cover or topper on it to enclose it." I just prefer to have the enclosed space that is part of the enclosed part of the Jeep personally. I also was not a fan of how long the Gladiator was after coming from a JKU. So, I put an order in for a 2021 4Xe Rubicon and traded in the Gladiator. Glad those hold their value and dealerships are paying top dollar for used cars right now. It got me wondering how many Wrangler owners got a Gladiator only to regret it and are going back or went back to a Wrangler? I'm not saying they are bad, I'm just saying it wasn't for me.
Sponsored

gsyoung

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU North Edition
I bought a 2020 fully loaded Gladiator Rubicon in August of last year after trading in my 2014 JKU Sahara. I really loved it at first and then after about a month or two really started missing the enclosed cargo space of a 4 door wrangler. I know everyone says "Just put a cargo cover or topper on it to enclose it." I just prefer to have the enclosed space that is part of the enclosed part of the Jeep personally. I also was not a fan of how long the Gladiator was after coming from a JKU. So, I put an order in for a 2021 4Xe Rubicon and traded in the Gladiator. Glad those hold their value and dealerships are paying top dollar for used cars right now. It got me wondering how many Wrangler owners got a Gladiator only to regret it and are going back or went back to a Wrangler? I'm not saying they are bad, I'm just saying it wasn't for me.
I walked away from a Gladiator trade-in one month after purchasing a new 2020 JLU. I was having buyer's remorse cause the Glad was what I initially wanted but ended up walkng away with the JLU because of inventory. After a month of owning the JLU the "what-if's" were eating me up so I went back to talked to the sales rep and sure effort he now had a ton of Glad's on the lot. He made me a sweet offer and let me take one for 24 hrs... best thing I could have done. After driving it for 24 hrs doing daily stuff I started realizing I was gonna miss the same stuff you mentioned... enclosed bed and longer wheel base. I ended up backing out and still glad I've got my JLU.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I would buy a Gladiator if it was a two door with a bed...but I own a 2021 2dr Rubicon. I just don’t like navigating long vehicles on trails...
Same thought, here. It's just too long. I doubt it would even fit in my garage. But if they offered a 2 door, I'd have seriously considered it. The thing I miss most about my Taco is having the ability to haul stuff. But the Gladiator is just far too big as it stands now.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t written off the possibility of buying a Gladiator in the future. I was seriously considering one when they first came out but I wanted a diesel. Jeep took a long time in getting that to market and I eventually bought a Raptor.

If they offered a 392, I think I’d pull the trigger but it’s hard to deny that Jeep compromised this vehicle in the design phase. A bed that is too shallow and too short is a big handicap, as is the very long wheelbase (11 inches longer than a Ford Ranger).

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I’ve driven only pickups all my life. I thought hard about a gladiator but knew I wanted to do some harder trails, so I got a JLUR and love it for the same reasons as the op. I don’t know if I’ll ever get a pickup again.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I just never liked how a Gladiator looked. There must be at least 1/2 dozen at my dealers lot now and they have been sitting there for weeks.
Just not my cup of tea...
Yea, I get that. I’ve seen the same thing on our local dealer lots. The only way you can improve the looks is with a lift and 37s (or larger). The bigger tires really do help the proportions of the truck a lot. But it just doesn’t work with 33s.

Sponsored

carpendj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2019 GMC Sierra AT4
In my opinion, they are so expensive for a mid size truck. I see Rubicon's and Mojave's listed between $50k - $60k around Austin if you want one with a decent spec. In December 2019 I purchased a GMC Sierra AT4 for similar money. It has an incredible 6.2 V8 with the 10-speed and pretty much every package you could add. (heads up display, 360 cameras, heated/ventilated seats, BOSE audio, leather....and lots more). So much power and so refined. MSRP $65095 and I purchased for $55095. For sure, if I am going off road I would take my 2020 Wrangler instead of the AT4....but $55k for a Gladiator vs my AT4. AT4 every day of the week. (I just wish I could take the roof and doors off lol).
Sponsored