Sponsored

How many of you test drive your new build?

Martial Fartist

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So I’m not sure when my build will be completed/ delivered but I was wondering how many of you test drive your build.

Do you have a checklist that you go over or anything specific you look for when driving your new build or do you treat it like any other test drive?

Any input would be good, I don’t want to possibly miss something important.

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Martial Fartist

Martial Fartist

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is this a stupid question? Just read a few posts with people talking about test driving their build.

JeffCj7Jl

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
83 CJ7, 2015 4Runner, 2021 JLR
I test drived a manual before I ordered mine.. My decision was pretty much made, but felt like I had to do my “due diligence“. When I picked up my ordered JLR, my test drive was the 300+ mile drive home 😀

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I didn’t test drive my Jeep or any JL when purchasing. My only Jeep experience was a TJ when I was first learning to drive and a lifted 4 door JK a family member had a couple years ago.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I can't imagine buying a new vehicle without test driving it whether it was ordered or off the lot. But that's me.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I got mine off the lot, but still test drove a dozen JLs over a 2-to-3 week period.

Back then the wandering steering was still an issue without resolution; I didn’t want to get stuck with a JL that drove like crap.

I was coming out of a new 2019 Tacoma with an automatic transmission that drove like shit; didn’t want to be in a similar situation with the Jeep.

Haven’t had any steering issues, thankfully.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
So I’m not sure when my build will be completed/ delivered but I was wondering how many of you test drive your build.

Do you have a checklist that you go over or anything specific you look for when driving your new build or do you treat it like any other test drive?

Any input would be good, I don’t want to possibly miss something important.
I test drove my JLU the morning after it was off-loaded from the truck. I wasn't willing to sign any papers until I gave the vehicle my personal review, nor did I want the dealership to attend to any PDI. Just give me the two fobs and a full tank of Saudi Select (which the salesman did for me during our pre-delivery drive.)

As far as test driving a "build", I simply drove several new JLUs (lot inventory, all) with manual and automatic transmissions. It was those drives that allowed me to make an informed decision regarding my preference for the 2.0T engine in lieu of the V6. I'm interested in powertrains, and not things like heated ashtrays and leather-lined cupholders.

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I test drove my JLURD order before signing anything. The salesguy even suggested a route that included a variety of road speeds.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered a JLURD without ever driving a Wrangler. When it arrived at the dealer I pushed in the fuses, dropped the tire pressure, gave it the once over including the belly, drove it few miles down the road to fill it with diesel and verify the steering, signed, paid, and left.

Sponsored

The_Paper_Cut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport 2-Door
I wouldn’t purchase a vehicle without a test drive first. I test drove a 2.0 before I decided to order a JLUR with the 3.6, but I’d also been driving with the 3.6 for a while now so I know how that engine is. And before I purchase or sign the paperwork for the new Jeep I’ve ordered, I will test drive it for a good 20-30 minutes. I know somewhere on this forum is a checklist, one standard one and one that can be specified for whatever options you chose to have installed on your ordered Jeep. I’ll run through that as well to ensure everything is there and everything works and that nothings is broken or messed up.

OP
OP
Martial Fartist

Martial Fartist

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I drove a few to know that I 100% wanted a rubicon. Wasn’t sure if there was anything specific I needed to look for when my order comes in. In the past I have always drove the (new) vehicle before signing the papers but I have never ran across issues in a new car.

Sital

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys - Reign
I test drove mine before I signed the final papers. All I was checking for was if the steering was okay.
Sponsored