Sponsored

How many of you Manual JLs out there like your 6speed?

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Or, people don't realy know how to drive a manual, which is common. Mine feels downright quick on 35's. It is a real kick in the pants in first gear.
I’m with ya Dan as to some people want the standard tranny but just can’t drive them. I saw a post from a female driver that was complaining that her car “shakes” when she slows down in a high gear until she steps on the clutch. I was gonna tell her “your’e just lugging your engine and that’s no good”. But I didn’t want to insult her.
Sponsored

MFSTORMTROOPER

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
i have just over 13k on my '18 JLU, and i LOVE my 6 sp. its the best shifting manual ive ever driven, maybe with the exception of the miatas

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Disclaimer.. the first 'vehicle' I ever drove was a Ford 8n tractor (and it was not a collectible at the time); so I am very comfortable with a clutch, etc. I have only owned 1 automatic transmission vehicle in the past 50 years.

The '99 TJ I owned was just fine by me with the manual transmission (285,000 miles); the 2012 JK (165,000 miles) was finicky in reverse due to the drive by wire throttle/accelerator, but just fine otherwise; my 2019 JLUR is great from my perspective; I have no problem with acceleration for merging into traffic on Interstates (there is a lot of room on the tachometer before redline if you need it).

In the end, it comes down to what people are comfortable driving; but I prefer manual transmissions,
plus the ability to park it in the anti-theft mode.... (4Lo first gear ) :)
My story is so similar to yours BCH, I learned on my dads dump trucks before even knowing how to put an auto trans in “drive”. (40 years ago). I also had only one auto trans vehicle. I’m a plumber and had a Sprinter van. I only saw one person in these rooms bring up the “less brake wear” thing you get with a manual trans. I mentioned in another room my Sprinter needed brakes and rotors every 20,000 religiously and at $500.00 bucks a pop. I currently have an Isuzu NPR HD with a engine brake. Between that engine brake and downshifting 60,000 miles and still on my original brakes!

Shenanigunz

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
Tomorrow i will have had my Wrangler a week, put 400 miles on. As many have mentioned the first few days was all learning curve, the clutch is a hell of a lot lighter than my Mustang ever was. That said I am loving it so far. My dealer had to search to find a manual, and one that checked off my boxes, over 400 miles away in Ohio. I test drove the automatic, and had a JK that was auto, but the entire time I owned it I wished it were a manual.

ETM0dmU.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
After driving mine for about 5K miles now, I am mostly enjoying the MT on my Rubicon. However, I still get a grinding/tearing noise when letting the clutch out after a high RPM shift from 2nd to 3rd (entering the freeway for example).

And my number one complaint is how stupidly high geared reverse is! Have to slip the clutch constantly when using it, or I would shoot out of parking spaces at 40 MPH. And any kind of incline in reverse, forget it. The clutch is either going to be smoking, or I'm going to be backing up at 35 MPH.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
After driving mine for about 5K miles now, I am mostly enjoying the MT on my Rubicon. However, I still get a grinding/tearing noise when letting the clutch out after a high RPM shift from 2nd to 3rd (entering the freeway for example).

And my number one complaint is how stupidly high geared reverse is! Have to slip the clutch constantly when using it, or I would shoot out of parking spaces at 40 MPH. And any kind of incline in reverse, forget it. The clutch is either going to be smoking, or I'm going to be backing up at 35 MPH.
I’m surprised about the clutch slipping because they made the reverse gear bigger in this trans. I know where you’re coming from though because when I go to my brothers house his driveway is steep and the first time I backed up it I felt and smelled the clutch slip. Ever since, when I go there now I throw the Jeep in 4 low. Works like a charm.

Jeep Creep 87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2-Door Stick
I like it but for when I go to downshift to 2nd above 40 mph and get an audible and visual warning shifting to First is not allowed at high speeds. LOL No duh!

Wish I could disable that chime at least.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I like it but for when I go to downshift to 2nd above 40 mph and get an audible and visual warning shifting to First is not allowed at high speeds. LOL No duh!

Wish I could disable that chime at least.
Yeah, but just imagine how that warning chime came to be. Probably some idiot actually put it in first gear at 40 MPH, destroyed the tranny and sued FCA for not being warned against it! :facepalm:

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
I bought a 8 speed Jeep JLU Sport a year ago. Regretted it.. Traded it in for a custom ordered JLUR 6-speed 2monhs ago. (Super financially responsible I know) Couldn't be happier.

Clutch took some getting used too but now it's pretty much second nature. Its almost like a two step,, first engagement to feel the bite then when it's rolling second engagement to fully bite..

Maybe because it's the Rubicon with 4.10s, 4th is fine at 1500rpm on a slight grade, I drop into 5th at 50mph if I'm cruising and 60 in sixth. Gearbox is great for a cable actuated unit and I came from t-5 equipped mustangs and t56 equipped GM products.

Ironically the Rubicon rides much better then the sport.

My wife loves I bought a stick Jeep and drives it regularly too.

Super happy that Jeep still offers a true manual.

Going to do Traill 11 at Rausch Creek on the 23rd with my neighbor who has an auto Moab. Will be interesting to see how each Jeep makes out.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I just got back from Easter Jeep Safari a week ago. That was my JL's second trip to Moab. Drove 22 hours there, then flogged the hell out of it for 5 straight days, then drove 22 hours home. Flawless. 45k miles on it now. The more I drive it, the more I love it. My son has been driving my JK with the six speed around quite a bit. He drove the JL this trip and kept smiling and commenting over and over about how smooth the clutch and the shifter are compared to the old JK, which is comparatively like a dump truck. (Still love that old dump truck, though!)

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door
Hey everyone, I currently own a 2018 JL RUBICON 6speed, and was wondering how many of you are out there ? Do you all have any issues with your tranny? love it? hate it? I test drove an automatic the other day and felt it was a bit faster than the manual , possibly due to no lag time between shifts, but I have been a manual person since I first started driving cars lolz, give me your feed back ! Thanks guys !
Shifts great - so far so good.

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Really enjoy my 2018 JLUS 6-speed. Would I buy another 6-speed again? YES.

kamal

First Name
kamal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys 21 JLU MT
I am on 3K now and going strong.
After getting my jeep, i added a cold air intake and replaced stock exhaust to a dual flow exhaust. I like to sound when taking off from a stop sign, that engine revving on each gear change, though i don't go beyond 4th in the city. Also when coming to a stop, i like to do engine breaking as far as possible (still trying to learn the rev match).
So every time i drive, its still a learning experience and i thoroughly enjoy that

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I am on 3K now and going strong.
After getting my jeep, i added a cold air intake and replaced stock exhaust to a dual flow exhaust. I like to sound when taking off from a stop sign, that engine revving on each gear change, though i don't go beyond 4th in the city. Also when coming to a stop, i like to do engine breaking as far as possible (still trying to learn the rev match).
So every time i drive, its still a learning experience and i thoroughly enjoy that
At 20k, it's the same experience. I like that the trans is made in Japan. The clutch is still very different from every other vehicle I've owned, but I love the manual.
Sponsored