Sponsored

How many of you Manual JLs out there like your 6speed?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I would have to disagree. After 3rd gear, the spacing is very awkward. Driving around small town America at 35-40 miles an hour, 3rd gear seems to run to high for the speed and 4th gear to low causing weird stutters in the motor. You can only go into 6th above 70mph on flat ground. For me, it’s far from perfect.
How many miles do you have? As mine has broken-in, it has smoothed out at low rpms and can pull 6th gear just fine above 60mph. I'm at 16.5k miles. I'm running 35's, by the way, so with stock 33's, it would pull 6th gear even better.
Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
How many miles do you have? As mine has broken-in, it has smoothed out at low rpms and can pull 6th gear just fine above 60mph. I'm at 16.5k miles. I'm running 35's, by the way, so with stock 33's, it would pull 6th gear even better.
I’m at about 2,700 miles. I think the oem tune is part of the problem.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I would have to disagree. After 3rd gear, the spacing is very awkward. Driving around small town America at 35-40 miles an hour, 3rd gear seems to run to high for the speed and 4th gear to low causing weird stutters in the motor. You can only go into 6th above 70mph on flat ground. For me, it’s far from perfect.
I agree. I am mainly in third. 4th you have to be going pretty fast or it drops. anything under 2000 rpm it stutters.
Better than the manual transmissions of old, but still a bit awkward.

Atom44wat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
I love the 6 speed on my 37's. 6th gear is still good on the freeway and I have no issues using that gear. However, a reasonable incline in 6th will drop speed and a lower gear is needed. Regearing will be needed eventually.

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
Hey everyone, I currently own a 2018 JL RUBICON 6speed, and was wondering how many of you are out there ? Do you all have any issues with your tranny? love it? hate it? I test drove an automatic the other day and felt it was a bit faster than the manual , possibly due to no lag time between shifts, but I have been a manual person since I first started driving cars lolz, give me your feed back ! Thanks guys !
Really like the new manual. Huge improvement over the wobbly, jiggly, noisy, long throw 6-spd in my JK. JK box used to drive me nuts - too difficult to get into reverse when you wanted to and too easy to fall into the reverse gate on the 5-to-6 shift when you didn't want reverse.

It's true the manuals are a little trickier on the trail, but I wouldn't give up life with a manual for a little trail ease. Besides, with the 4:1 Rubicon transfer case, you can really just let the clutch out and crawl it in first gear quite easily in most situations.

Sponsored

dspilman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Door 3.6L Manual, 1997 TJ Sport 2-Door 4.0L Manual;
Occupation
Architect
Has anyone explored any ways to make the clutch stiffer? I love the 6-speed MT. The shifting is smooth, and I think the gearing on the Rubicon is pretty great. The one thing I hate is how soft the clutch is. I'm definitely used to the clutch on my TJ, and I love that clutch. Would welcome ideas for how to stiffen it up and give the clutch a bit more balls haha.

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
I really like it! I agree that it does seem to need a good break in period, and that third does like to catch from time to time (especially if I try to shift quickly).

That said, I still prefer the 5 speed in my old 95 XJ. Had more of a tough feel to it (and with over 400k on it right now, I'd say it proved it's toughness!)

But the JL's is pretty smooth, and other than the 3-4 ratio issue, which is easy to over come, I'd say it's one of the better manual transmissions I've driven.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love the 6 speed on my 37's. 6th gear is still good on the freeway and I have no issues using that gear. However, a reasonable incline in 6th will drop speed and a lower gear is needed. Regearing will be needed eventually.
How the heck are you running 37s on a manual?
Did you regear yet? I put 35s on and can’t stand the sluggish feeling.

Atom44wat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
Yup, we currently have 37's and yes it is more sluggish and a regear will be needed but it isn't overwhelming bad. Day to day to is perfectly fine. Going up into the mountains though to play can be a pain in the ass on the freeway. 5.13's to come soon.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup, we currently have 37's and yes it is more sluggish and a regear will be needed but it isn't overwhelming bad. Day to day to is perfectly fine. Going up into the mountains though to play can be a pain in the ass on the freeway. 5.13's to come soon.
I’m sure it will drive much better then. I don’t want to spend the money on regear so my tires are coming off.

Sponsored

Keeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Granite
Many of the forum members dislike the 6 speed transmission and they complain that they never use 6th gear......But the Rubicon is “Geared” much lower than the non-Rubicon Jeeps and as a result.....that 6 speed manual transmission is PERFECTLY suited to the 3.6 liter motor.....In the Rubicon. You will get full use of every gear in the Rubicon with a manual Transmission.
The transmission itself is great, but I agree. It felt geared too high before I got to 6th. Seemed slow and was drivable on the highway in 3rd. It occurred to me later that it had to be mated to Rubicon gearing. Larger wheels are probably not going to happen, but the manual is all good. I don't mind the light clutch.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I was wondering the same thing! If I end up keeping my JLR, I may regear mine to 4.56 with the stock 33s. First gear may be a little tricky with 4.56, but I think it would help me in 3rd through 5th gears.

David F.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I like that I can let off of the brake on a incline and for about 3 seconds there is no roll back. Its been years since I drove my last manual so this helped for the 1st 2K miles. When people ask about my jeep almost everyone asks if it is a manual. I like being able to say yes and it is a lot of fun to drive.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
I have a 6-Speed in my Challenger and love it, but in my Jeep I prefer my automatic.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I was a little uneasy with the manual offroad at first, but after our first few days in Moab I feel just as comfortable off-road in the manual as I would an automatic. Sure an automatic is a bit easier, but it takes some of the fun out of it. :beer:
Sponsored