Sponsored

How many of you Manual JLs out there like your 6speed?

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
:handsinair::like::)
Sponsored

biggprikk

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I never shift higher than 4th because 5th and 6th are for millennials

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Disclaimer.. the first 'vehicle' I ever drove was a Ford 8n tractor (and it was not a collectible at the time); so I am very comfortable with a clutch, etc. I have only owned 1 automatic transmission vehicle in the past 50 years.

The '99 TJ I owned was just fine by me with the manual transmission (285,000 miles); the 2012 JK (165,000 miles) was finicky in reverse due to the drive by wire throttle/accelerator, but just fine otherwise; my 2019 JLUR is great from my perspective; I have no problem with acceleration for merging into traffic on Interstates (there is a lot of room on the tachometer before redline if you need it).

In the end, it comes down to what people are comfortable driving; but I prefer manual transmissions,
plus the ability to park it in the anti-theft mode.... (4Lo first gear ) :)
How about this for anti-theft mode? Put the transfer case in neutral and engage the parking brake. I did that once to my brothers's YJ, then watched from a window, laughing my tail off, as he cursed and climbed underneath it to see what was wrong...while wearing a suit!

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
How about this for anti-theft mode? Put the transfer case in neutral and engage the parking brake. I did that once to my brothers's YJ, then watched from a window, laughing my tail off, as he cursed and climbed underneath it to see what was wrong...while wearing a suit!
Hilarious!

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Consesus on 6 speed manual with stock 3.45 gears and 35” tires?

Doable? Offroad performance?

I just don’t want to regear the front diff, rather save money till i can get a ultimate44 front with 4.88 and just redo the rear gears

Thanks

Sponsored

voland

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS M6
Vehicle Showcase
Driving manuals all my life, starting from Lada (if you know what I mean), I find the JL to deliver a very pleasant clutch/shift experience overall. One can argue for gears to be spaced a bit better. For on-road, a longer first, and a more usable sixth could be argued for, but I'm sure engineers were trying to find a compromise. As with any manual transmission, it takes time to get used to it, find shift point that engine likes, etc. especially if coming from a sports car.

xj884x4

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78CJ5, 88XJ, 97ZJ, 02WJ, 04WJ, 05TJ, 19JLUS
Manual in the 2019 JL 3.6L is nice. Still getting a little used to it after 3k miles b/c the transmission/clutch in my 3spd CJ5 is SOOOOOOOOOOOO different! I do find that if you are moving 1-3mph and need to get back into first sometimes it doesn't like to shift, and you have to very carefully thread the clutch in to keep it from clunking and jerking around. 2nd gear is a little too tall to start off in. Overall nice trans, driveline vibes are a little heavy when in 6th gear and below 1600rpm cruising on a light hill ascent, dropping into 5th doesn't do much at that point, usually skip down to 4th.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
6 spd is nice. Hate the f$&&@“”kng clutch. Ive never stalled a damn vehicle so many times in my life. Off road is fine. 6th is useless unless the road is flat

Inka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Like others have stated, I think it is geared a bit tall- it needs a bit more power down low including reverse. My pedal travel sometimes gets a “notchy” feeling where it isn’t smooth which can make modulation a bit of a challenge sometimes. That being said, I’m happy with my choice even though I commute around DCs horrible beltway traffic daily. I suppose that is either a testament to the overall goodness of the transmission despite its flaws or my idiotic adherence to a dying anachronism....

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Like others have stated, I think it is geared a bit tall- it needs a bit more power down low including reverse. My pedal travel sometimes gets a “notchy” feeling where it isn’t smooth which can make modulation a bit of a challenge sometimes. That being said, I’m happy with my choice even though I commute around DCs horrible beltway traffic daily. I suppose that is either a testament to the overall goodness of the transmission despite its flaws or my idiotic adherence to a dying anachronism....
I've been driving mine around today and I feel like even at 17k miles this engine is still breaking in and making more power. It pulls 6th gear nicely now and it also behaves better and smoother at sub 2000 rpm. The clutch and shifter are smooth and perfect, IMO. The clutch feels as good as my brother's Camaro ZL1 1LE, and the shifter is smoother, although not as precise or short.

Sponsored

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Does anyone else experience a strange grinding noise when letting the clutch out quickly after shifting from 2nd to 3rd?

It happens every time on mine, if I'm accelerating quickly and shift from 2nd to 3rd. It doesn't grind going into gear, but it does upon quickly releasing the clutch.

If I release slowly, them it's fine.

Last edited:

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Many of the forum members dislike the 6 speed transmission and they complain that they never use 6th gear......But the Rubicon is “Geared” much lower than the non-Rubicon Jeeps and as a result.....that 6 speed manual transmission is PERFECTLY suited to the 3.6 liter motor.....In the Rubicon. You will get full use of every gear in the Rubicon with a manual Transmission.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Many of the forum members dislike the 6 speed transmission and they complain that they never use 6th gear......But the Rubicon is “Geared” much lower than the non-Rubicon Jeeps and as a result.....that 6 speed manual transmission is PERFECTLY suited to the 3.6 liter motor.....In the Rubicon. You will get full use of every gear in the Rubicon with a manual Transmission.
I would have to disagree. After 3rd gear, the spacing is very awkward. Driving around small town America at 35-40 miles an hour, 3rd gear seems to run to high for the speed and 4th gear to low causing weird stutters in the motor. You can only go into 6th above 70mph on flat ground. For me, it’s far from perfect.

HendersonJL

First Name
Chinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray 2-door JL
I do like the 6 speed. I find myself shifting gear (to 6th) while driving on the highway ( a bit more work but I love it! :jk:
Sponsored