Sponsored

How many of you Manual JLs out there like your 6speed?

WranglerBane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Hey everyone, I currently own a 2018 JL RUBICON 6speed, and was wondering how many of you are out there ? Do you all have any issues with your tranny? love it? hate it? I test drove an automatic the other day and felt it was a bit faster than the manual , possibly due to no lag time between shifts, but I have been a manual person since I first started driving cars lolz, give me your feed back ! Thanks guys !
Sponsored

Edorand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have a 6mt JLUR and love it..I've had 10+ vehicles and at least 5 of them were manual. Aside from my 92 C-pkg MX-5, this is the best-shifting manual I've owned. There are days when I wish I got the auto [because it is faster and easier to just pop it in D and cruise] but shifting manually in this enthusiast vehicle ticks all the right boxes for me

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
+1000 for the MT and itā€™s a great one. Jeep did well. Itā€™s a lot More fun to play.
$2k less to boot.

Now for a daily driver I might be more inclined to go auto.

Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I agree guys, manual is the way to go in a Jeep Wrangler !
The clutch and shifting is fantastic. The gearing ratios a bit odd, not very linear to me, but overall a great transmission. I would buy it again.
Iā€™m sure the Auto is great too, but I like to spin the tires now and then lol.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Mine should arrive within the next couple weeks and I canā€™t wait. I was only able to test drive a Sahara with manual as none of the rubicons locally were a stick. My current JKU is a stick and I wouldnā€™t buy one any other way.

Was wanting the diesel but would not give up a manual to get one. Still bummed about them not offering that combo.

Last edited:

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
The clutch and shifting is fantastic. The gearing ratios a bit odd, not very linear to me, but overall a great transmission. I would buy it again.
Iā€™m sure the Auto is great too, but I like to spin the tires now and then lol.
I couldn't agree more about how non linear it feels. I love manuals and have had many even in my 3500. I daily mine, and it just makes the jeep feel heavy and slow. I get it's not a race car, but it doesn't feel as light as the 8 speed.

Sponsored

MartyParty

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport, Ocean Blue
JLU sport here...short answer is manual-absolutely! But I think weā€™re all on that side.
What I have noticed is during these past 3 months and almost 6,000 miles is the vehicle has become easier to drive. When it was new, the clutch was so powder puff lite that I just hoped it didnā€™t stall (and stall it did, with great ease). 6th gear became fantasy-land and I found myself never allowing the engine below 2,000 rpm. It would simply not accelerate. Comparatively, my previous vehicle, a ā€˜14 Mazda 3 HB had zero need for a 4th gear, and cruised in 6th easily at 45 along these flat Arizona mesaways.
But! Now with some actual break-in miles of just about everything a Jeep does, the vehicle has come into itā€™s own. Clutch take-up has an actual point, I am stalling less often and, dare I say, the 3.6 is getting loose and power has evened itself out nicely. This engine wants you to juice it up to 4,500 and even beyond, and I do abide lol. 6th gear is even a thing!
One thing I have noticed is during a rip in 2nd gear, going to 3rd it kinda catches...the Mazda did the same thing so maybe itā€™s a cable shifter thing. Yes, the JL stick is a cable-shift.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

sjl136

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Willys 2dr, ā€˜90 YJ, '22 4Runner
12,000 miles in and still loving my manual JLUR! It is my daily driver and I still prefer the manual for most on and off-road scenarios, but there are the occasional hill climbs that Iā€™d like to see what an automatic does in 4Lo when with the manual you either have to choose to lose some momentum and make a gear change, or with the automatic Iā€™m assuming itā€™s far more seamless. The only thing even approaching an issue for my manual is in 4Lo, shifting into 3rd gear grinds unless I really wait to feel it is ready to accept the shift, which leads to momentum loss, even with the clutch to the floor. Iā€™m not sure if that is to be expected with the synchros or what, so any thoughts on that would be appreciated.
Sponsored