Sponsored

How many of you Manual JLs out there like your 6speed?

LoganDzwon

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I've always had standard transmissions in my non-alt-fuel cars. Personally I don't really like automatic transmission on an ICE engine. As for Jeeps before the JL I had an 14' JKUR. I also have an 04' TJR. Compared to them I like my JL's shifter the best, but it did take a little getting use to.

The transmission itself the same as my JKs, however the shifter is now cabled instead of just a stick coming through the floorboard. On the older models I could actually feel the transmission/engine with my hand on the shifter. I always considered this a plus. However, now that I'm use to it, the cabled approach feels much more solid, planted, and confident. I rely more on the electronics and the instrumentation to make sure the Jeep is doing what I'm asking, vs feel from from the drivetrain through the shifter. I do think I drive the JL better because I go to know the JK first though.
Sponsored

Wrangles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 6sp Billet
Love it, I would have paid the same as an automatic and even probably more for the manual. It’s my daily driver and I have not stalled yet. Love the brake assist as well.

Highonlyfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2011 JKU
Its a joy to drive with the man pedal.

Driving should be enjoyable as much as possible, and with an auto vehicle i get bored relatively easily.

Plus, i really do really believe driving a manual vehicle is a dying past time. People are to lazy, and believe it or not, some think a manual is to much work.

I have read somewhere that only 3% of vehicles produced in the US have a manual transmission, and most of those are special order.

Beleive it or not, when i went to pick up my '18 JLUR it was parked in the back of the delivery lot. The salesman came and got me to drive it up to the dealerships main building because he didnt know how to drive stick:jk:.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Extremely pleased with my 6MT JLUR. Still have my '12 JK, which is also a 6MT, and I can't believe how much better the JL 6MT is. It's strictly a personal preference, though I'd never buy a Wrangler that wasn't a manual transmission.

Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Manual + ESS: I actually look forward to when I’m at a red light. It gets quiet and still. By the time I push in the clutch it’s running and away I go. ESS actually makes sense with the manual. No complaints at all.

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
I absolutely love the manual in my JLUR. One of the best manual's I've driven.

My only complaint is that the shifter knob absorbs the cold temperatures up here where it's already -20. The heated steering wheel is great but my right hand is always cold while in stop-and-go traffic.

Yes, I'm definitely nit picking but that's how good the manual is. :like:

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I love the feel of the manual. Much better than the manual in the JK. But as I have said before, I don’t like the gear ratios along with the oem tune. Simple tweaks by FCA could have brilliant results. Although they probably won’t do them due to epa requirements.

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
I've always owned vehicles w/manual transmissions. You not only have better vehicle control w/them, but you get better gas mileage, plus, and most important, their reliability vs. automatics.

With that said, over all, I like the JL's manual transmission. It shifts very smoothly. ;)

But, driving in stop and go traffic on my home from the dealer yesterday, either in 1st or 2nd, I'm not sure which one, I should of paid closer attention, I noticed a lot of play. A click, click noise when moving and stopping. I don't know if there is a lot of play in the transmission relative to the gears, or the ring and pinion gear in the rear is too loose. Of course if it were the rear, putting it in reverse, you would hear it there, but I don't.

Has anyone noticed this issue in their manual transmissions on their JL's?

Update: Studying it closer, it is in 1st, when doing any stop and go in traffic, that I hear this clicking noise between gears, if that's the proper word for it. It sounds like a lot of play someplace in the powertrain. Other than that, there's no issues. It shifts very smoothly. I especially like the fact that reverse is in the upper left, vs. the lower right in the JK's. With the JK transmissions, you had to be careful not to shift too far to the lower right, when going into 6th. Until you got use to it, there'd be a little grind. Putting that grab handle in order to go into reverse, is nice to have on the JL. My Ford Focus ST had it on its 6 spd. M/T.

Last edited:

Sponsored

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
I love the feel of the manual. Much better than the manual in the JK. But as I have said before, I don’t like the gear ratios along with the oem tune. Simple tweaks by FCA could have brilliant results. Although they probably won’t do them due to epa requirements.
I've driven JK's w/the standard 3.21's, and own them w/the 3.73 on a Willys, and the 4.10 on a Rubicon, all w/manual transmissions. I have to say, from my experience, the 3.73 is the best overall, for both highway driving and off road. The 3.21 is fine for strictly highway, to a certain point, "but w/the stock tires", while the 4.10 is more for strictly off road.

When it comes to the 3.45 on the JL, I'm not very impressed with it, so hopefully a 3.73 will, or is available out there, for it's replacement.

Of course this is my own personal opinion, and others may think differently.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't have bought a JL if a manual wasn't available. The 3rd pedal is a dying breed and aren't as available as they once were & I've always wanted a Jeep, so I got the best of both worlds. I won't do paddle-shifters...it feels like playing a video game. I've been rowing my own for 23+ years and even stop-&-go driving in it doesn't bother me. This is the first vehicle I've owned with a hydraulic clutch & it's taken me some time to get used to, but I still love it. It's a fun drive.

There are some good opinions here... https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/the-clutch-gang.7373/

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I've always owned vehicles w/manual transmissions. You not only have better vehicle control w/them, but you get better gas mileage, plus, and most important, their reliability vs. automatics.

With that said, over all, I like the JL's manual transmission. It shifts very smoothly. ;)

But, driving in stop and go traffic on my home from the dealer yesterday, either in 1st or 2nd, I'm not sure which one, I should of paid closer attention, I noticed a lot of play. A click, click noise when moving and stopping. I don't know if there is a lot of play in the transmission relative to the gears, or the ring and pinion gear in the rear is too loose. Of course if it were the rear, putting it in reverse, you would hear it there, but I don't.

Has anyone noticed this issue in their manual transmissions on their JL's?
No clicking or play with mine.

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
the manual I drove was fast as shit, you could whine it out better than the auto on road. Off-road I massively prefer an auto fwiw. I’ll also pass on the 4/1 tcase in the rubi. I’m a strange bird that I prefer the manual for a daily and the auto for its off-road control.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
the manual I drove was fast as shit, you could whine it out better than the auto on road. Off-road I massively prefer an auto fwiw. I’ll also pass on the 4/1 tcase in the rubi. I’m a strange bird that I prefer the manual for a daily and the auto for its off-road control.
Wait, are you referring to a manual wrangler being fast or were you talking about another car you use to own? The only wrangler I have ever thought was halfway fast was one I helped build that had a 502 motor with a 100 shot on it.
Sponsored