How many of you Manual JLs out there like your 6speed?

Logger

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I hear a noise from time to time that’s more of a loud click noise like an A/C clutch kicking on. If I twist the front drive shaft back and forth with the Jeep not running it makes a similar noise so I’m wondering if that may be it just from a little bit of play in the system. Just a guess though, anybody else with better information feel free to correct me.
Thanks for the response. That makes sense, slight click as it engages. Any others have a similar experience?

Advertisement

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Or, people don't realy know how to drive a manual, which is common. Mine feels downright quick on 35's. It is a real kick in the pants in first gear.
I’m with ya Dan as to some people want the standard tranny but just can’t drive them. I saw a post from a female driver that was complaining that her car “shakes” when she slows down in a high gear until she steps on the clutch. I was gonna tell her “your’e just lugging your engine and that’s no good”. But I didn’t want to insult her.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I'd bet they wind up swapping in a new transmission. Bad synchros can cause everything you describe.
So can a broken tooth on the gear.

MFSTORMTROOPER

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
i have just over 13k on my '18 JLU, and i LOVE my 6 sp. its the best shifting manual ive ever driven, maybe with the exception of the miatas

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Disclaimer.. the first 'vehicle' I ever drove was a Ford 8n tractor (and it was not a collectible at the time); so I am very comfortable with a clutch, etc. I have only owned 1 automatic transmission vehicle in the past 50 years.

The '99 TJ I owned was just fine by me with the manual transmission (285,000 miles); the 2012 JK (165,000 miles) was finicky in reverse due to the drive by wire throttle/accelerator, but just fine otherwise; my 2019 JLUR is great from my perspective; I have no problem with acceleration for merging into traffic on Interstates (there is a lot of room on the tachometer before redline if you need it).

In the end, it comes down to what people are comfortable driving; but I prefer manual transmissions,
plus the ability to park it in the anti-theft mode.... (4Lo first gear ) :)
My story is so similar to yours BCH, I learned on my dads dump trucks before even knowing how to put an auto trans in “drive”. (40 years ago). I also had only one auto trans vehicle. I’m a plumber and had a Sprinter van. I only saw one person in these rooms bring up the “less brake wear” thing you get with a manual trans. I mentioned in another room my Sprinter needed brakes and rotors every 20,000 religiously and at $500.00 bucks a pop. I currently have an Isuzu NPR HD with a engine brake. Between that engine brake and downshifting 60,000 miles and still on my original brakes!

Shenanigunz

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
Tomorrow i will have had my Wrangler a week, put 400 miles on. As many have mentioned the first few days was all learning curve, the clutch is a hell of a lot lighter than my Mustang ever was. That said I am loving it so far. My dealer had to search to find a manual, and one that checked off my boxes, over 400 miles away in Ohio. I test drove the automatic, and had a JK that was auto, but the entire time I owned it I wished it were a manual.

ETM0dmU.jpg

Last edited:

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2008 Toyo FJ Cruiser, 2014 Acura MDX
After driving mine for about 5K miles now, I am mostly enjoying the MT on my Rubicon. However, I still get a grinding/tearing noise when letting the clutch out after a high RPM shift from 2nd to 3rd (entering the freeway for example).

And my number one complaint is how stupidly high geared reverse is! Have to slip the clutch constantly when using it, or I would shoot out of parking spaces at 40 MPH. And any kind of incline in reverse, forget it. The clutch is either going to be smoking, or I'm going to be backing up at 35 MPH.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
After driving mine for about 5K miles now, I am mostly enjoying the MT on my Rubicon. However, I still get a grinding/tearing noise when letting the clutch out after a high RPM shift from 2nd to 3rd (entering the freeway for example).

And my number one complaint is how stupidly high geared reverse is! Have to slip the clutch constantly when using it, or I would shoot out of parking spaces at 40 MPH. And any kind of incline in reverse, forget it. The clutch is either going to be smoking, or I'm going to be backing up at 35 MPH.
I’m surprised about the clutch slipping because they made the reverse gear bigger in this trans. I know where you’re coming from though because when I go to my brothers house his driveway is steep and the first time I backed up it I felt and smelled the clutch slip. Ever since, when I go there now I throw the Jeep in 4 low. Works like a charm.

Jeep Creep 87

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2-Door Stick
I like it but for when I go to downshift to 2nd above 40 mph and get an audible and visual warning shifting to First is not allowed at high speeds. LOL No duh!

Wish I could disable that chime at least.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
I like it but for when I go to downshift to 2nd above 40 mph and get an audible and visual warning shifting to First is not allowed at high speeds. LOL No duh!

Wish I could disable that chime at least.
Yeah, but just imagine how that warning chime came to be. Probably some idiot actually put it in first gear at 40 MPH, destroyed the tranny and sued FCA for not being warned against it! :facepalm:

Advertisement

Superchips Flashcal Programmer out for JL Wrangler

Advertisement