First Name
Sho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder how many on here have the “Safety Package”. My Japan version Jeep has a ugly looking front bumper, it actually looks like a melted US plastic bumper with the smooth top (no hooks). All the models sold here come with “safety package”, so I have the parking sensors on the bumper. As I am considering to have one of my friends ship a Rubicon version of plastic bumper, I want to make sure if the parking sensors does exit and where they are located on the bumper.

been looking at many pics on here, but only found a few Sport model with the sensors on their bumpers.

Please show the photos if your Rubicon or Sahara got those.
Sponsored

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I have the safety package. In the US only the rear bumper has sensors, the front bumper does not. For the front, there is sensor in a box at the top center of the windshield.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
There are two types of Safety Packages: the Safety Package, and the Advanced Safety Package.

The Safety Package only includes rear sensors, in addition to blind spot monitors and LED tail lights. The Advanced Safety Package includes forward collision warning, adaptive cruise control, and a bunch of other stuff I despise.

As indicated above, the front bumper do not have sensors built into it. Here’s a view of my rear bumper with Safety Package. You can see the sensors built into it.
nc_oc=AQmm4II-7L4BfMJky0Qy-ajV8145qKVxBNMYWQ8r_BAe2g1r2_FxjP9gUCSK69MBWEo&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
Mine is a 19 Rubicon with plastic bumper and safety package and no sensors in bumper.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
There are two types of Safety Packages: the Safety Package, and the Advanced Safety Package.

The Safety Package only includes rear sensors, in addition to blind spot monitors and LED tail lights. The Advanced Safety Package includes forward collision warning, adaptive cruise control, and a bunch of other stuff I despise.

As indicated above, the front bumper do not have sensors built into it. Here’s a view of my rear bumper with Safety Package. You can see the sensors built into it.
nc_oc=AQmm4II-7L4BfMJky0Qy-ajV8145qKVxBNMYWQ8r_BAe2g1r2_FxjP9gUCSK69MBWEo&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg
Mine is a 19 Rubicon with plastic bumper and safety package and no sensors in bumper.
He's in Japan. He makes it sound like in Japan, they have the sensors in the front bumper.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Advanced Safety Package on my Rubicon. Only the rear bumper has sensors. It is my assumption the rearview mirror housing contains the forward collision alert system. Overall, it works pretty well, but I can say it has false positives at times and if you have active braking turned on, it WILL brake unexpectedly. I turned off active braking and have it set to only alert me.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
He's in Japan. He makes it sound like in Japan, they have the sensors in the front bumper.
As I read it, yes he is in Japan, where all JL come with the “Safety Package” —which level we don’t really know. He doesn’t like the bumpers they get there and he would like to get the bumpers we get here. So he is asking what ours look like, in particular regarding “sensors.”

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
As I read it, yes he is in Japan, where all JL come with the “Safety Package” —which level we don’t really know. He doesn’t like the bumpers they get there and he would like to get the bumpers we get here. So he is asking what ours look like, in particular regarding “sensors.”
Gotcha. I misread his intent. I would be reluctant to switch to a bumper without front sensor provisions in his case, which North American models don't have. I guess depending on his fabrication skills anything is possible. I would worry about them always going off, but hopefully there is a way to disable them, like I do in other cars if they get snowed or iced over.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Advanced Safety Package on my Rubicon. Only the rear bumper has sensors. It is my assumption the rearview mirror housing contains the forward collision alert system. Overall, it works pretty well, but I can say it has false positives at times and if you have active braking turned on, it WILL brake unexpectedly. I turned off active braking and have it set to only alert me.
FYI: the rear sensors are mounted inside the rear bumper; the blind spot monitors are mounted inside the LED tail lights, which come standard with the “Safety Package.”

I don’t have the Advanced Safety Package, but is my understanding that the forward sensors are mounted in the forward-facing section of the rearview mirror. It is for this reason that Jeep developed a new rearview mirror that attaches to the roll cage instead of the windshield glass, so that it stays in place even when the windshield is folded down.

In my experience, it is normal for forward sensors to freak out unintendedly. It is for this reason that I don’t like them. That, and the fact that adaptive cruise control encourages mindless driving behaviors...

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
FYI: the rear sensors are mounted inside the rear bumper; the blind spot monitors are mounted inside the LED tail lights, which come standard with the “Safety Package.”

I don’t have the Advanced Safety Package, but is my understanding that the forward sensors are mounted in the forward-facing section of the rearview mirror. It is for this reason that Jeep developed a new rearview mirror that attaches to the roll cage instead of the windshield glass, so that it stays in place even when the windshield is folded down.
Actually it's the box with the sensor that mounts to the "roll cage" the mirror is mounted to this box. With the advanced safety feature, you get a cover for the front of the box for when you fold your windshield to protect the sensors.

Also If I remember correctly, I believe the UK JL has sensors in the front bumper as well.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

In my experience, it is normal for forward sensors to freak out unintendedly. It is for this reason that I don’t like them. That, and the fact that adaptive cruise control encourages mindless driving behaviors...
Yes; this is exactly it--both in locations of sensors and overall performance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KananagaS

KananagaS

First Name
Sho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
All your responses making sense. We get the advanced safety package as standard equipment here on all Wrangler models here is Japan. The sensor for forward collision prevention is inside of the box by the interior rear view mirror. But we also have the parking sensors mounts on both front and rear bumpers... see my attached photo.

I have seen a few Japanese aftermarket sites selling steel bumpers with the holes drilled, but they want too much for it. This leads me to consider if I can have my friends to ship me stock US bumpers from the States, it would probably be cheaper even after the freight cost.

Some of you may think.. why not get the steel bumper? Well, per my understanding it is a violation of the Law here. And I may lose my plates if change to the steel bumpers. I don’t quite understand their Law as only been living here since 2017.

B7DC9E1B-5C63-4BD8-95C9-2D1CFF6AD1EA.jpeg

ABAD6336-B8F7-4D4F-BA2F-976F80483F03.jpeg

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
wow and i thought the plastic bumper on my jeep was ugly you jeep owners in Japan get even uglier ones.
Sponsored