Sponsored

How many of you frequently drive in 4 auto?

How often?

• Total voters
OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
What do you mean by part-time 4WD HI?

I've seen this phrase a couple times off and on these past months, but it doesn't make sense to me.

2WD = only the rear output shaft is getting power.
4WD = both the front and rear output shafts are getting power.
4WD LO = A whole new gear within the transfer is engaged, both the front and rear output shafts are getting power.
4Auto = ? I'm guessing a clutch pack of some kind? I could Google, but technically I'm working...
It’s not great naming, but part time 4hi means 4wd. It’s what everyone thinks of as 4wd. You only one want to be in it part of the time ie. if conditions are bad.
Sponsored

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Part-Time 4WD HI is the full term for what you are calling 4WD. Part-Time because it cannot be used at all times.
Then why go through the exercise of calling it Part-Time 4WD HI if everyone knows it as 4WD?

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Then why go through the exercise of calling it Part-Time 4WD HI if everyone knows it as 4WD?
Um, because it's vague? There are three drivetrain modes that contain "4WD". Granted, the "Part-Time" portion of the name is really just a warning that can be omitted. But one does need to clarify HI/LO/AUTO.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Um, because it's vague? There are three drivetrain modes that contain "4WD". Granted, the "Part-Time" portion of the name is really just a warning that can be omitted. But one does need to clarify HI/LO/AUTO.
I suppose.

Ever since I can remember:
"Put it in 4!" = 4HI
"Put it in 4 low!" = 4LO
"4 auto should work." = 4Auto

I see where you're coming from, but that's what threw me off and why I asked. Thanks for clarifying.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Think of 4 Auto like AWD (all wheel drive) 4 wheel drive that can be used on any surface wet or dry. It doesn't lock the front and rear axles together like 4 Low and 4 High do.
I know that you're using this as a comparison, but wanted to state for the record that 4WD Auto is pretty significantly different, functionally, than AWD.

At a high level, yes, they both automatically switch between 2WD and ... NOT-2WD, but beyond that, they're very different mechanically.

Again, I *believe* you know that, just wanted to make sure others do.

Sponsored

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
So-

4 Auto = normally 2 wheel drive that switches to 4 wheel drive automatically when conditions are slippery

4 Part Time = Full time 4 wheel drive that should only be used part time.

Is that right?

I think for the 392 its recommended to run 4 auto all the time.

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So-

4 Auto = normally 2 wheel drive that switches to 4 wheel drive automatically when conditions are slippery

Is that right?

Yes 4 part time has both drive shafts turning at the same speed the whole time. If you used it all of the time it will lead to issues in the drivetrain. It’s what I had in the past and only used it when traction was an issue. It’s very bad naming. Should have been 4Auto, 4 hi, and 4 lo….. The 392 default setting is 4auto because the rear tires cannot hold traction alone all of the time.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So-

Is that right?

That's only because the 392 is a power beast and you can often break the rear tires loose at will. If you're not used to being able to do that it can be rather dangerous if you stomp on the gas at the wrong time.

My brother owns a Corvette shop and there's been many times where he built monster Vettes and the owners crashed them on the way home, not knowing how to handle the power. The 392 can venture into that zone so they recommend 4WD Auto as a precaution against lesser skilled drivers.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know that you're using this as a comparison, but wanted to state for the record that 4WD Auto is pretty significantly different, functionally, than AWD.

At a high level, yes, they both automatically switch between 2WD and ... NOT-2WD, but beyond that, they're very different mechanically.

Again, I *believe* you know that, just wanted to make sure others do.
Not to mention that in slick on-road conditions AWD is superior to all forms of 4WD. So on that snowy winter road, don't assume you can do whatever that Subaru in front of you can do. You can't.

But even though you do need to take things a little slower than the AWDs, you're far less likely to become outright stuck.

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not to mention that in slick on-road conditions AWD is superior to all forms of 4WD. So on that snowy winter road, don't assume you can do whatever that Subaru in front of you can do. You can't.

But even though you do need to take things a little slower than the AWDs, you're far less likely to become outright stuck.
Yep don't follow the Subaru, you have no idea the condition of their tires lol.

Sponsored

CJ SCION

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUD Hardtop, 2016 JK 2-door Ragtop
Occupation
Tired Again
Statistics can be fun. When the total percentage is 9.1% over 100 . 33 total voters and 36 votes cast..............

Jeep Wrangler JL How many of you frequently drive in 4 auto? tutle.JPG

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Statistics can be fun. When the total percentage is 9.1% over 100 . 33 total voters and 36 votes cast..............

Jeep Wrangler JL How many of you frequently drive in 4 auto? tutle.JPG
It probably lets you select more than one option when voting because... reasons?

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

tutle.JPG
Yes they are and so are polls. I added in just for fun because I wanted more than 2 options and I didn’t think anyone would put never. It is kind of 4xe specific, idk if a non 4xe owner would see any benefits. I think the always is the interesting choice.

CJ SCION

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUD Hardtop, 2016 JK 2-door Ragtop
Occupation
Tired Again
I have only been through one full battery and have the transfer case selector in 2-hi. I will give 4-auto a try to see if there is a little more gitty-up than 2-hi.

2-hi with the 4 cylinder plus battery output is way cool, right back in the seat you go!

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep don't follow the Subaru, you have no idea the condition of their tires lol.
In my experience, Subarus are significantly more likely to have Winter Tires than Jeeps. Jeep people love their ATs too much in winter. If the Subaru has winter tires and the Jeep is on KO2s, the Jeep will never keep up with it without crashing.
Sponsored