Sponsored

How many of you frequently drive in 4 auto?

How often?

• Total voters

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
Looking for experience, how many of you like to set it and forget it? I know the 392 normally drives in 4 auto so the system should be robust. But I am coming from a JKU and Im stuck in the only touch that lever if you need it mindset.
Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Looking for experience, how many of you like to set it and forget it? I know the 392 normally drives in 4 auto so the system should be robust. But I am coming from a JKU and Im stuck in the only touch that lever if you need it mindset.
Only if I know there's going to be a chance of questionable conditions. I.e., rain/snow/etc. When I drove up to Utah in early March of this past year, we kept it in 4auto the way up there since there was some snow in the forecast, which proved pretty helpful when it would come/go based on elevation.

I don't think you'd hurt anything keeping it in 4 hi auto. I will say at idle it feels like it lugs the engine just the slightest bit though (4 cyl).

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I mostly set it and forget it from November through April. However, I live in an area where there is always snow at least on the side of the road all through these months. I could easily encounter patches of snow/ice on the road at any time. Especially my steep driveway because why clear the snow if you don't need to? I find a set and forget approach easier.

For PA you can certainly set it and forget it all winter. Nothing bad about that as far as your drivetrain is concerned. The only reason not to do that is you will get around 1 MPG less in 4WD Auto than 2WD. So weigh the pros & cons and do what's best for your conditions. I know conditions can vary quite a bit in PA depending on where in PA you are and/or how bad the winter is.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I pretty much leave it in 4 auto all the time so I have maximum power, the 4xe will limit power output when in 2wd. I haven't noticed a reduction in electric range using 4 auto over the 2wd, but I do notice a power output difference.
This is crazy to me. Not in a bad way really. I'm genuinely learning. My wife is very much the set it and forget it woman. I'm the one that loves all the settings and switches. Hmmm. Maybe I'll have her leave it in 4Auto.

Sponsored

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
This is crazy to me. Not in a bad way really. I'm genuinely learning. My wife is very much the set it and forget it woman. I'm the one that loves all the settings and switches. Hmmm. Maybe I'll have her leave it in 4Auto.
I like to test stuff and mess around with it too but for me in my basic testing I didn't notice a difference in efficiency. I think when I went to Moab that is a pretty much all hwy trip if I remember correctly I ran in 2wd. I only have a little under 1500 miles so I'm still learning how it all works and performs.

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mostly set it and forget it from November through April. However, I live in an area where there is always snow at least on the side of the road all through these months. I could easily encounter patches of snow/ice on the road at any time. Especially my steep driveway because why clear the snow if you don't need to? I find a set and forget approach easier.

For PA you can certainly set it and forget it all winter. Nothing bad about that as far as your drivetrain is concerned. The only reason not to do that is you will get around 1 MPG less in 4WD Auto than 2WD. So weigh the pros & cons and do what's best for your conditions. I know conditions can vary quite a bit in PA depending on where in PA you are and/or how bad the winter is.
Awesome, great info! Yeah I was driving on the highway this morning, through some rain storms. The rain was deep in places, which got me thinking about slowing down and pulling the lever. I've tried it on local roads, but I'm hesitant to pull for highway speeds. I'm sure Ill get used to it this winter driving over these mountains (hills to you guys).

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
The first while I had the 4xe I used exclusively 2H on the road, but I switched to 4H Auto one day so that I could access maximum power when pulling out of my neighborhood onto the busy road at rush hour, and then I just forgot to switch it back. So it runs in 4H Auto all the time now.

On one of the "Ask the Expert" videos, the expert says he runs his 4xe in 4H Auto all the time, and that the efficiency penalty is so slight that it matters more how you drive the vehicle than anything else. See (if the time code doesn't come through, it starts at 18:45):

OP
OP
sconrad24

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The first while I had the 4xe I used exclusively 2H on the road, but I switched to 4H Auto one day so that I could access maximum power when pulling out of my neighborhood onto the busy road at rush hour, and then I just forgot to switch it back. So it runs in 4H Auto all the time now.

On one of the "Ask the Expert" videos, the expert says he runs his 4xe in 4H Auto all the time, and that the efficiency penalty is so slight that it matters more how you drive the vehicle than anything else. See (if the time code doesn't come through, it starts at 18:45):

Thanks! I will watch. Dumb question, so you just turn it off in 4auto, not even switch back to 2wd beforehand?

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Going all electric:

On my 10.4 mile (5.2 each way) loop to my favorite gym, the efficiency loss on a typical Auto 4H is only six percent charge or about two miles. Actual efficiency loss is probably 15-20%. I’m curious to what that would be in gas or hybrid mode - haven’t tested that yet.

That’s driving in a mixed hilly environment, with Auto 4H engaged in very wet situations only. Out of habit from driving other selectable systems, I only use Auto 4H if I need a waterproof or snow jacket.

Sponsored

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Thanks! I will watch. Dumb question, so you just turn it off in 4auto, not even switch back to 2wd beforehand?
Yep. And every time I notice it's still in 4H Auto I am at highway speeds, and the manual says not to shift above 45? I think? And then I promptly forget, usually because I'm having to pay attention to the idiot drivers in my neck of the woods.

Anecdotally I haven't observed any range loss from 4HAuto. Still get 26-30 depending on whether I take the freeway or the city roads, and depending on whether I'm in a hurry (and therefore subconsciously accelerate more aggressively, which 4HAuto lets you do).

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome, great info! Yeah I was driving on the highway this morning, through some rain storms. The rain was deep in places, which got me thinking about slowing down and pulling the lever. I've tried it on local roads, but I'm hesitant to pull for highway speeds. I'm sure Ill get used to it this winter driving over these mountains (hills to you guys).
A thing to know is that 4WD Auto is 2WD, except when the rear wheels slip in acceleration. Then the front is engaged. Your JL can live in 4WD Auto year round if you want it to.

So 4WD Auto will kick in 4WD and be very helpful when accelerating in slippery winter conditions or when taking off like a bat out of hell, burning rubber on dry pavement. In both cases it will return to 2WD when you are no longer accelerating enough to break the rear tires loose.

Here's where that "only use it if you need it" approach comes from.
Part-Time 4WD HI is detrimental to traction in higher speed turns. You should not use 4WD HI over 30 MPH in slippery road conditions. At those speeds 4WD HI can cause sudden severe oversteer or understeer in turns and send you sliding off the road. But 4WD Auto is the exception to that rule because it automatically follows the rule for you. It only engages 4WD when you need it and disengages it when it is detrimental.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Part-Time 4WD HI is detrimental to traction in higher speed turns.
What do you mean by part-time 4WD HI?

I've seen this phrase a couple times off and on these past months, but it doesn't make sense to me.

2WD = only the rear output shaft is getting power.
4WD = both the front and rear output shafts are getting power.
4WD LO = A whole new gear within the transfer is engaged, both the front and rear output shafts are getting power.
4Auto = ? I'm guessing a clutch pack of some kind? I could Google, but technically I'm working...

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I've seen this phrase a couple times off and on these past months, but it doesn't make sense to me.

4WD LO = A whole new gear within the transfer is engaged, both the front and rear output shafts are getting power.
4Auto = ? I'm guessing a clutch pack of some kind? I could Google, but technically I'm working...
Part-Time 4WD HI is the full term for what you are calling 4WD. Part-Time because it cannot be used at all times. HI because it's a high gear ratio (higher speeds, lower torque to wheels) as opposed to a low gear ratio (lower speeds, higher torque to wheels).

4WD Auto involves a clutch pack in the transfer case that engages quickly when the rear wheels slip.

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe

Think of 4 Auto like AWD (all wheel drive) 4 wheel drive that can be used on any surface wet or dry. It doesn't lock the front and rear axles together like 4 Low and 4 High do.
Sponsored