Sponsored

How many miles until your first windshield rock chip?

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Mine cracked at 900 miles. It's small now, a little less than half inch and has been stable for sometime (200 some miles). Does anyone know if there's a way to let it not spread?
Check Amazon for RainX windshield repair; good reviews and I'm going to try it tomorrow to prevent further spread.
Sponsored

Johnny2018

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021JLUD
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Vehicle Showcase
I had 3 repairs on same chip, keeps on running for some reason, just going to leave it alone, let it grow as much as it wants. lol
I found out i have a 50.00 deductible with Geico for a new replacement so not worried.

periopnurse

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
It was right at 500 miles here. Brought it to be filled at windshield shop since I attempted the Rain-X fix on my RV and could still see it. Turns out they were no better then my fix..... can still see it. Hopefully some stronger glass will come along for when I eventually do need to replace it.

Matt_35

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Check Amazon for RainX windshield repair; good reviews and I'm going to try it tomorrow to prevent further spread.
Thanks Joe, will give it a shot and keep everyone posted. While I was searching for it I also looked at Permatex but will try the RainX first.

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
It was right at 500 miles here. Brought it to be filled at windshield shop since I attempted the Rain-X fix on my RV and could still see it. Turns out they were no better then my fix..... can still see it. Hopefully some stronger glass will come along for when I eventually do need to replace it.
I still see mine after the repair, but it hid the small hole very well. The only thing visible is the crack which looks hairline. It sealed well.

Sponsored

Matt_35

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Finally no rain and I could try it out. This is what I bought as it had everything and fairly priced. I'm 85% satisfied with it. :)
Similar results as Joe mentioned, I still see it but very minimal and I feel the crack won't spread.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H9ZG2BM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The first picture is before. 2nd is after, 3rd is after putting the strip and 4th after removing the strip. I know the 3rd picture looks quite big of a crack but it's zoomed to full on my phone and with a naked eye hard for anyone notice it. It's indeed hairline or less.

before.jpg

after.jpg

hairline.jpg

gone.jpg

Onthego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Sahara Wrangler towed behind Motorhome
Yeah the worst part was I don't even know where it came from because there wasn't a car within at least 50 feet of me
It's been 20+ years since I had to replace a windshield. I had to replace the one on my Toyota last August, then the Jeep in October (~8,000 miles). The Jeep then got a star chip in January. Like cball508, there wasn't another car around for over 150' on the highway. Safelite repaired that one and the motorhome last year. I had to lower the deductible on my GEICO, as they barely covered the Toyota and Jeep replaced windshields.

Allan winters

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
I have had my 2018 Jeep Safari and so far I had to replace my windshield six times for rock chips. My insurance has subsutural increased and other auto insurances does not want to quote me because if all my claims. Its not like I'm standing out in the road throwing rocks at my jeep it the design of the windshield. Anyone else in this situation?