Sponsored

How Many Miles on Your Manual Transmission/Clutch?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Jeep is refusing to pay for a new clutch. $2100, it’s ridiculous! The dealership told Jeep that the clutch plate overheated because of the software issue and caused the failure like the recall states! This is my 4th and last Jeep!
Hi mjnexus30a,
We apologize for any dissatisfaction. Please follow up with us via PM to provide additional details regarding your concerns so we may determine how to best assist you.

Rob
Jeep Cares
Sponsored

sck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2016 JK, 1960 CJ5
same issue here. Had both recalls done shortly after receiving the notice and the clutch failed at 46K. Really started noticing an issue the week I took it in for the 2nd recall. Dealer is saying that Jeep will not cover the replacement so I am going to be out $2800 I just went back are reread the initial recall notice and it states that they would replace any additional parts needed

HOW DO I RESOLVE THIS IMPORTANT SAFETY ISSUE? FCA US will repair your vehicle [2] free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will install a protective hose sleeve, reroute a wire harness, inspect the clutch system, and replace components as needed. The estimated repair time is about one hour. However, if inspection determines additional components need to be replaced additional time may be necessary. In addition, your dealer will require your vehicle for proper check-in, preparation, and check-out during your visit, which may require more time. Your time is important to us, so we recommend that you schedule a service appointment to minimize your inconvenience. Please bring this letter with you to your dealership.

Guess if I had not had the initial recall done, they would have covered it. I am not happy that they are not willing to pay to fix something that is the result of an ongoing known issue. 2 recalls on the same issue says there is a design/engineering issue and it is not "normal wear and tear"

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
same issue here. Had both recalls done shortly after receiving the notice and the clutch failed at 46K. Really started noticing an issue the week I took it in for the 2nd recall. Dealer is saying that Jeep will not cover the replacement so I am going to be out $2800 I just went back are reread the initial recall notice and it states that they would replace any additional parts needed

HOW DO I RESOLVE THIS IMPORTANT SAFETY ISSUE? FCA US will repair your vehicle [2] free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will install a protective hose sleeve, reroute a wire harness, inspect the clutch system, and replace components as needed. The estimated repair time is about one hour. However, if inspection determines additional components need to be replaced additional time may be necessary. In addition, your dealer will require your vehicle for proper check-in, preparation, and check-out during your visit, which may require more time. Your time is important to us, so we recommend that you schedule a service appointment to minimize your inconvenience. Please bring this letter with you to your dealership.

Guess if I had not had the initial recall done, they would have covered it. I am not happy that they are not willing to pay to fix something that is the result of an ongoing known issue. 2 recalls on the same issue says there is a design/engineering issue and it is not "normal wear and tear"
Hi sck,
We’re very sorry to hear that. Please know that our team would be more than happy to provide assistance. Please follow up with us via DM to provide additional details regarding your concerns!

Rob
Jeep cares

TeleJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6sp M
42k here on ‘18 Rubicon. No issues other than I don’t like the clutch. Too light for my preference, and mine sticks too frequently when trying to get rolling. Makes me feel like I haven’t been driving stick as long as I have been. Kind of annoying, but no real issues. Love driving manual.
Try turning off the Hill Start Assist. It grabs onto the brakes for a split second to avoid rolling back. It may cause jerky starts. Settings>Safety and Driving Assistance > Hill Start Assist

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
28K miles and so far so good.

Sponsored

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Try turning off the Hill Start Assist. It grabs onto the brakes for a split second to avoid rolling back. It may cause jerky starts. Settings>Safety and Driving Assistance > Hill Start Assist
I think it’s off, but I’ll look at it to be sure. Thanks!

Stetson

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2014 Ford Raptor
Occupation
Project Manager
I have a 2018 JLUR with the 6MT and no issues to date. I am a little less than 36,000 miles. Seems to run just fine. All kinds of driving, some easy and moderate off road. I even taught my kids to drive a stick with it so…I am happy with it.

stetson

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
About 35.5k on mine. Still makes the creaking noise once warmed up but that seems to have not gotten any worse. That started at probably around 12k miles or less.

5.13 gears and 35’s or 37’s since 1k

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Mine just gave out at 41,000 miles. Clutch plate got too hot and the clutch failed.
Hi mjnexus30a,
We sent you a PM. Please take some time to review it and get back with us at your earliest convenience.

Rob
Jeep Cares

TeleJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6sp M
I have 30k miles on my 2018 JLU Sahara six-speed. Had sleeve recall and firmware done. So far no clutch problems 98% highway/city 2% easygoing off road. Never had slippage, chatter, etc. Consistent feel to clutch. Like having current gear displayed above odometer on center screen (new feature with firmware)

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have 30k miles on my 2018 JLU Sahara six-speed. Had sleeve recall and firmware done. So far no clutch problems 98% highway/city 2% easygoing off road. Never had slippage, chatter, etc. Consistent feel to clutch. Like having current gear displayed above odometer on center screen (new feature with firmware)
Hi Tele Jeep,
That is great to hear! Should any other concerns arise in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out!

Rob
Jeep Cares

linux_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 6-speed manual, 2011 Compass 5-speed manual
2020 JL 3.5K after 1.5 years.

mjnexus30a

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2918 JLU
They going to fix that for you under warranty?
After some discussion and disagreements Jeep stepped up and took care of the replacement and some of my rental cost. I’m happy to have my Jeep back and love the new clutch with the software update. I realize now that the old clutch never felt right. It was def torqued too high. Thank you @JeepCares for doing the right thing! I will continue to be a loyal Jeep customer!

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
After some discussion and disagreements Jeep stepped up and took care of the replacement and some of my rental cost. I’m happy to have my Jeep back and love the new clutch with the software update. I realize now that the old clutch never felt right. It was def torqued too high. Thank you @JeepCares for doing the right thing! I will continue to be a loyal Jeep customer!
That's great news! Now you get to enjoy that thing the way it was meant to be! Can't wait to hear more about it in the coming months!

sck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2016 JK, 1960 CJ5
As I have said, who pays (you or Jeep) is just a function of the dealership and who you talk to. was at 43K when mine went out just like mjnexus30a but my dealership was not willing to step up. 5 weeks and $2800 later, I got the Jeep back. Now the AutoStart/Stop warning light is on. Dealer said to just drive it because the reserve battery might just be low because it sat for 5 weeks. 2.5 hour drive didnt solve the issue.... Had them document that the light was on when I picked up the Jeep but doubt they will do anything to help me out. Was a little shocked they gave it back without noticing the warning light (or cleaning out the trash that they left in it) REALLY wishing there was a decent dealer near me. FCA really needs to drop this dealership as they have to be one of the worst in the country.

I own 4 Jeeps dating from a 1960 to a 2020 and love them but this experience has me looking elsewhere to replace my DD. Not happy with Jeep for not standing up and there is no way I would buy another car from the local dealer.
Sponsored