Sponsored

How Many Miles on Your Manual Transmission/Clutch?

Mandalorian

First Name
MANDALORIAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT
Clubs

30k miles on mine. I have two different CF clutches in it. This was after OEM would burn after minimal input, for example backing up a driveway.

My shifter engagement stinks. It will hang in gears or not engage. I'll have to rock it back to a different gear to get the gear I want to engage. Strangely, the bottom of the H (2, 4, 6) seem fine, but gets hung up in 1 and 3. If I jog into 2 or 4 it then goes smoothly into 1 and 3.

Either way, a PITA.

I'm over 40 and have been driving manuals since my first car...
This is my experience also. 20k is all it took to burn up my OEM clutch. I installed CF clutch and it worked great till yesterday when I fell into a couple v notches and gave her more than she could give. Driving home I had to force it into 1st but once rolling could engage 2, 3, 4 with a little extra effort
Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
56K on my 26 month old 2019 JLUR and no issues. Recall #1 done and waiting on #2. Plan to go to centerforce if they have resolved the issues they had initially.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
This is my experience also. 20k is all it took to burn up my OEM clutch. I installed CF clutch and it worked great till yesterday when I fell into a couple v notches and gave her more than she could give. Driving home I had to force it into 1st but once rolling could engage 2, 3, 4 with a little extra effort
That may be a strong indicator the problem is not the clutch.

Sponsored

SteveFinn

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting-Gray Sport S, former TJ owner
51,000 mi so far

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
24.5K on mine over 38 months. Both recalls completed. Never had an issue with this clutch, but I certainly don't drive it enough it seems!

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just completed another off-road trip down to Turkey Bay ORV area at Land Between the Lakes, Kentucky. The Jeep has passed 51k and still no issues. I've also taught two teens to drive a manual on it since my last post to the thread. It didn't fall out or burn up, in spite of their best efforts.

Hopefully those having trouble will get it resolved so they can enjoy their Jeeps.

mjnexus30a

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2918 JLU
Mine just gave out at 41,000 miles. Clutch plate got too hot and the clutch failed.
Jeep is refusing to pay for a new clutch. $2100, it’s ridiculous! The dealership told Jeep that the clutch plate overheated because of the software issue and caused the failure like the recall states! This is my 4th and last Jeep!

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
30k miles on mine. I have two different CF clutches in it. This was after OEM would burn after minimal input, for example backing up a driveway.

My shifter engagement stinks. It will hang in gears or not engage. I'll have to rock it back to a different gear to get the gear I want to engage. Strangely, the bottom of the H (2, 4, 6) seem fine, but gets hung up in 1 and 3. If I jog into 2 or 4 it then goes smoothly into 1 and 3.

Either way, a PITA.

I'm over 40 and have been driving manuals since my first car...
This sounds like a shift cable adjustment issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They don't have cables as I understand it - they use rods that aren't adjustable.
The shifter itself IS cable actuated. That's why it doesn't vibrate at all when running.

The JK did not have cable actuated shifting, but the JL does. That's why the JK's shifter bounces around like a dump truck, Lol!

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just rolled 90k miles on my 18 JLUS with 33s - no problems thus far. About 90% highway and 10% VERY hard use in mud or beach sand.
Come on, you must be joking. That clutch has to have been replaced 3 times by 90k!

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
42k here on ‘18 Rubicon. No issues other than I don’t like the clutch. Too light for my preference, and mine sticks too frequently when trying to get rolling. Makes me feel like I haven’t been driving stick as long as I have been. Kind of annoying, but no real issues. Love driving manual.
Sponsored