Sponsored

How Many Miles on Your Manual Transmission/Clutch?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
With so many worrying about the manual transmissions thanks to the recalls, I'm now hearing some worry about the longevity of the clutch or even transmission, so I thought we'd start thread on how many miles some are putting on these things.

My JLUR just turned 46,000 miles, trouble free. I've heard some fearing these clutches wouldn't last 40k. So I've passed that marker and am heading toward the 50k mark. I'd imagine there are some on here who have gone further.

I've driven it pretty hard because it is fun to drive, and I've taken it off road many times, including just completing its second trip to Moab. It has had recall #1 and I'm patiently waiting for the Y07 reprogram. No rush, as I've had no hint of trouble. It feels the same as when new. I also tow a fishing boat frequently from late April until mid-October and occasionally a utility trailer with my RZR 570 on it. I would not say it has been abused because I've been driving clutches since I learned at 15 years old. But as I said before, I have not babied it. My Pentastar sees many runs right up to the 6500 mile redline as I like to take what I'd call spirited drives on windy country roads in the summer with the doors off and top down. I do that several times a week in warmer months. I also commute 2 to 3 times a week in it and the route is full of stop lights, so my 46k is far from all highway miles. So you can see, this clutch gets a workout.

My Jeep was a very early order, I think the 2nd or 3rd day after they started taking them in late 2017. It was delivered in mid-January of 2018, so I'm pretty sure mine was in the first production batch. My dealer told me it was the first manual delivered in the state of Indiana, and probably a wider area than that.

It passed the first recall test where they go to 4000 rpms and dump the clutch in 3rd gear. (It makes me cringe to think about that.) and showed no sign of the slave cylinder improper bleed issue or clutch wear during the first recall.

So share what you've got and I'll update the original post with the high marks that are reported here, whenever I check back in. I'll also be quick to report back if I ever encounter any problems.
Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
If or when it fails during your ownership. Would you replace it with OEM or upgrade to aftermarket, such as Centerforce?

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If or when it fails during your ownership. Would you replace it with OEM or upgrade to aftermarket, such as Centerforce?
I like the OEM, so I'll probably go back to it. At this point, I fully expect this clutch will get at least to 100k and probably beyond, so it will just wear out. I'll replace it before it is completely worn.

I think Centerforce has either just come out with a new version or will be, so I'll watch feedback on that one closely, but I'm not into fixing what ain't broke. I really like the clutch as it is.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I like the OEM, so I'll probably go back to it. At this point, I fully expect this clutch will get at least to 100k and probably beyond, so it will just wear out. I'll replace it before it is completely worn.

I think Centerforce has either just come out with a new version or will be, so I'll watch feedback on that one closely, but I'm not into fixing what ain't broke. I really like the clutch as it is.
I like the transmission, took some time to get use to. My only mild complaint, is I feel the clutch is a little light for my taste. I bought it without knowing the recall, only noticed it when I was on the owner website and notice my new Jeep already had a recall done. Personally I am not worried about it, I wanted a manual.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
So share what you've got and I'll update the original post with the high marks that are reported here
36.200. Zero issues with clutch. Love how it drives from day one. If not for pandemic I’d have been at 50,000 miles by now.

Sponsored

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
47,000 miles and no issues. I wheel it and my 18 yo son learned to drive stick on it and now daily drives it. It has not had a pampered life, still holds strong.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I also love my manual! Have had all recalls done except latest, 29,6 on the odometer. Much like the op I really row the gears out and drive spirited ...very satisfied with it’s behavior and ability to keep me smiling... great engine and fun little rig.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
feb 2018 delivery 37k miles on it mix highway city hard trails no issues no signs of giving up

mjnexus30a

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2918 JLU
With so many worrying about the manual transmissions thanks to the recalls, I'm now hearing some worry about the longevity of the clutch or even transmission, so I thought we'd start thread on how many miles some are putting on these things.

My JLUR just turned 46,000 miles, trouble free. I've heard some fearing these clutches wouldn't last 40k. So I've passed that marker and am heading toward the 50k mark. I'd imagine there are some on here who have gone further.

I've driven it pretty hard because it is fun to drive, and I've taken it off road many times, including just completing its second trip to Moab. It has had recall #1 and I'm patiently waiting for the Y07 reprogram. No rush, as I've had no hint of trouble. It feels the same as when new. I also tow a fishing boat frequently from late April until mid-October and occasionally a utility trailer with my RZR 570 on it. I would not say it has been abused because I've been driving clutches since I learned at 15 years old. But as I said before, I have not babied it. My Pentastar sees many runs right up to the 6500 mile redline as I like to take what I'd call spirited drives on windy country roads in the summer with the doors off and top down. I do that several times a week in warmer months. I also commute 2 to 3 times a week in it and the route is full of stop lights, so my 46k is far from all highway miles. So you can see, this clutch gets a workout.

My Jeep was a very early order, I think the 2nd or 3rd day after they started taking them in late 2017. It was delivered in mid-January of 2018, so I'm pretty sure mine was in the first production batch. My dealer told me it was the first manual delivered in the state of Indiana, and probably a wider area than that.

It passed the first recall test where they go to 4000 rpms and dump the clutch in 3rd gear. (It makes me cringe to think about that.) and showed no sign of the slave cylinder improper bleed issue or clutch wear during the first recall.

So share what you've got and I'll update the original post with the high marks that are reported here, whenever I check back in. I'll also be quick to report back if I ever encounter any problems.
Mine just gave out at 41,000 miles. Clutch plate got too hot and the clutch failed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine just gave out at 41,000 miles. Clutch plate got too hot and the clutch failed.
They going to fix that for you under warranty?

MIKALE

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler sport 6spd
They going to fix that for you under warranty?
Same just happened with ours. No warranty. All out of pocket. Similar miles. If it goes again at 80k we will go with aftermarket. Just couldn’t wait that long to get aftermarket so had to go OEM.

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 20th Anniversary
Clubs

30k miles on mine. I have two different CF clutches in it. This was after OEM would burn after minimal input, for example backing up a driveway.

My shifter engagement stinks. It will hang in gears or not engage. I'll have to rock it back to a different gear to get the gear I want to engage. Strangely, the bottom of the H (2, 4, 6) seem fine, but gets hung up in 1 and 3. If I jog into 2 or 4 it then goes smoothly into 1 and 3.

Either way, a PITA.

I'm over 40 and have been driving manuals since my first car...

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 20th Anniversary
Clubs

I snaked through the 'Similar threads' below and found my way to trans fluid change thread. A few others posted same lock out issue. Fluid change helped some, not others. The one it didn't help also had a CF clutch...
Sponsored