Sponsored

How Many Miles on Your Manual Transmission/Clutch?

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
WOW I am amazed at some of the problems in this thread.

I started out driving on a Ford 9N tractor and IIRC I don't think it was fully synchronized trans. I just bought a JLR and first time in my life my Jeep has an auto trans only because the wife demanded it in CASE she drove it in lieu of her 21 Glad.

Truthfully: I was buying a 2004 Jeep TJ Rubicon with 39XX miles on it, all original OEM. Guy bought it and had a stroke before it arrived and he drove around the neighborhood about 1 or 2 x a month till he died and it was an estate sale and first guy to show up with $44,000 got it. I was on the way and they called and said somebody else from Ohio has shown up and got, I was driving from Naples FL to Miami where it at...and that is how I ordered a JLR

I have come to the conclusion on the forum that I should have found another TJ. I had about 100k miles on my TJR 2003 vintage and I WHEELED IT and I had retired and wheeled it all over the SW US from Tx to Cali. My clutch never failed or faltered.

My Clutch in my 64 Corvette did not fail but the throwout bearing did at 103k miles, so I replaced the clutch and PP anyhow.

My 69 Corvette 427/435 hp, throwout bearing failed at 13X,XXX miles, clutch still good, but replaced in and the PP anyhow.

Of all the Jeeps and Corvettes I have owned since '64 never replaced needed to replace a clutch but did due to the bearing failure.

Takeaway: Clutches will outlast throwout bearings.

If your clutch does not last at least 100k miles you might want to look at your left foot and shoe size.

Centerforce clutches: YEP, GREAT product, made for the track and you spend $3k on it in a heartbeat. I recommend them but skip on the trick clutch setups (meant for racers), you just need a solid HD clutch & PP and maybe your new Flywheel. If you have heat cracks on the face of your flywheel REPLACE IT. Always replace as a PACKAGE meaning the Pressure Plate, Throwout bearing, Clutch plate and flywheel all come from the same mfg as a matched set.

I ran Centerforce back in my racing days in the 60s. The guys that mixed parts from different mfg always had premature failures. From Blowing up on the line before they dumped the clutch to exploding on the 1 st > 2 nd power shift at 7000+ rpm.

Looking for a LOW mileage TJR, anyone got one in trade for a JLR...:like:;)
Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I'm at 58K miles on my 2018 Jeep JLU Sport S. I wheel it hard and often and need a new clutch. It's gotten so soft and is all the way to the floor most of the time. I'm looking at the Centerforce II.
Very interested in your thoughts on the CF clutch solution. I just called Centerforce since I tow a 2700 lb Off Grid Trailer with my Jeep. I am running 35s with 5.13s. I am planning on going to 37s when the 35s wear out and they recommended the dual friction kit.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed

I started out driving on a Ford 9N tractor and IIRC I don't think it was fully synchronized trans. I just bought a JLR and first time in my life my Jeep has an auto trans only because the wife demanded it in CASE she drove it in lieu of her 21 Glad.

Truthfully: I was buying a 2004 Jeep TJ Rubicon with 39XX miles on it, all original OEM. Guy bought it and had a stroke before it arrived and he drove around the neighborhood about 1 or 2 x a month till he died and it was an estate sale and first guy to show up with $44,000 got it. I was on the way and they called and said somebody else from Ohio has shown up and got, I was driving from Naples FL to Miami where it at...and that is how I ordered a JLR

I have come to the conclusion on the forum that I should have found another TJ. I had about 100k miles on my TJR 2003 vintage and I WHEELED IT and I had retired and wheeled it all over the SW US from Tx to Cali. My clutch never failed or faltered.

My Clutch in my 64 Corvette did not fail but the throwout bearing did at 103k miles, so I replaced the clutch and PP anyhow.

My 69 Corvette 427/435 hp, throwout bearing failed at 13X,XXX miles, clutch still good, but replaced in and the PP anyhow.

Of all the Jeeps and Corvettes I have owned since '64 never replaced needed to replace a clutch but did due to the bearing failure.

If your clutch does not last at least 100k miles you might want to look at your left foot and shoe size.

Centerforce clutches: YEP, GREAT product, made for the track and you spend $3k on it in a heartbeat. I recommend them but skip on the trick clutch setups (meant for racers), you just need a solid HD clutch & PP and maybe your new Flywheel. If you have heat cracks on the face of your flywheel REPLACE IT. Always replace as a PACKAGE meaning the Pressure Plate, Throwout bearing, Clutch plate and flywheel all come from the same mfg as a matched set.

I ran Centerforce back in my racing days in the 60s. The guys that mixed parts from different mfg always had premature failures. From Blowing up on the line before they dumped the clutch to exploding on the 1 st > 2 nd power shift at 7000+ rpm.

I have not had any issues with the clutch and am at 89,000 miles. I off-road and tow a trailer. I do think the OEM design is lacking and was the result of the EPA cafe standards. Obviously Stellantis needs more Prius type vehicles to offset the Jeeps, Ram trucks and Dodge Challengers.

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have not had any issues with the clutch and am at 89,000 miles. I off-road and tow a trailer. I do think the OEM design is lacking and was the result of the EPA cafe standards. Obviously Stellantis needs more Prius type vehicles to offset the Jeeps, Ram trucks and Dodge Challengers.
X2

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
Update: My JL just crossed the 70,000 mile mark. Still no issues and it feels like it did when new.

Has anyone crossed the 100k threshold yet?
Thanks for the update. So good to hear good news about our clutch for a change.

Sponsored

Canjeeper

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Update: My JL just crossed the 70,000 mile mark. Still no issues and it feels like it did when new.

Has anyone crossed the 100k threshold yet?
Is that with stock gearing ? and mainly highway miles?

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Is that with stock gearing ? and mainly highway miles?
I had 4.10 gears and 35's from new until about 46k miles, if I recall correctly. I then swapped them for 4.56 gears. I do plenty of towing of a fishing boat and utility trailer, probably 1500 to 2k lbs with a typical load. LOTS of off-roading.

I drive an 36 mile round-trip commute every day that is mostly stop and go, so combined with some big trips I'd say it is a good mix of city/highway.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

You were going to pay $44k for a TJ?

6th Floor Mule

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6MT
29K miles on my ‘18 Sahara with zero issues. Been driving sticks since ‘79 and would like to think I’ve been cognizant of the limitations of each. I've abused plenty of clutches, but I have not experienced what other members of this forum have experienced. I’ll chalk it up to being a “Jeep thing” and the luck of the draw.

Last edited:

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You were going to pay $44k for a TJ?
Old TJs bring big DUST$$. why? You won't find a better rock crawler. The LACK OF Electrics vs the post-2006 Jeeps

I paid $21k for my '03 Rubicon and I would have no prob getting more than I paid for it and a Rubi with 3,9xx miles on it, always garaged, never off-roaded, $44k was a great buy! Wish I had got there first.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Old TJs bring big DUST$$. why? You won't find a better rock crawler. The LACK OF Electrics vs the post-2006 Jeeps

I paid $21k for my '03 Rubicon and I would have no prob getting more than I paid for it and a Rubi with 3,9xx miles on it, always garaged, never off-roaded, $44k was a great buy! Wish I had got there first.
Yeah sorry, there are plenty of better rock crawlers. Even with a stretch the TJ wheelbase is too short for climbing extreme terrain. I’d just build a buggy before I’d spend that kind of money on a TJ.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

That works well in Texas, but around the upper midwest, the TJ's have a serious frame rust problem. Hard to find one that's not in very rough shape.

But you are right. They are badass rock crawlers, for sure.

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah sorry, there are plenty of better rock crawlers. Even with a stretch the TJ wheelbase is too short for climbing extreme terrain. I’d just build a buggy before I’d spend that kind of money on a TJ.
EXTREME terrain, LOL been doing that since I started driving Jeeps.

Next time you head out of Dallas on the way to Moab for a couple of weeks driving only the 7> trails and then scoot over to Death Valley for a couple of weeks, then over to the Rubicon for round 3 of your trip in your buggy and then drive back to Dallas in your buggy, send me some pics. ;):like:

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
EXTREME terrain, LOL been doing that since I started driving Jeeps.

Next time you head out of Dallas on the way to Moab for a couple of weeks driving only the 7> trails and then scoot over to Death Valley for a couple of weeks, then over to the Rubicon for round 3 of your trip in your buggy and then drive back to Dallas in your buggy, send me some pics. ;):like:
Nah I’ll just do all that in my JLU. My point was if I were going to build a dedicated crawler, I certainly wouldn’t start with a $44k TJ. I had a TJ. They were groundbreaking for their time, but paying that kind of money for one is just silly.

Mandalorian

First Name
MANDALORIAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT
Clubs

30k miles on mine. I have two different CF clutches in it. This was after OEM would burn after minimal input, for example backing up a driveway.

My shifter engagement stinks. It will hang in gears or not engage. I'll have to rock it back to a different gear to get the gear I want to engage. Strangely, the bottom of the H (2, 4, 6) seem fine, but gets hung up in 1 and 3. If I jog into 2 or 4 it then goes smoothly into 1 and 3.

Either way, a PITA.

I'm over 40 and have been driving manuals since my first car...
I started having this same issue with my CF clutch about a year after installation. I got one of the earliest editions, it seems they have added a few parts to the kit. The clutch is going on 40k and is starting to slip. I am very hard on it with a good amount of those miles on rocks, but I’m sure the shifter engagement didn’t help me out any in extending its life.
Sponsored