Sponsored

How Many Miles on Your Manual Transmission/Clutch?

The_Irish_Weaver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S - 2-door - Manual
ive driven manuals for decades....never once had to replace a clutch. Maybe its how i drive but thats like asking how long brake pads will last.....all user dependent

But as i sit here and wait for my manual Wrangler order to be shipped.....what recall are you guys speaking of? Was this in prior year JLs or is this something brand new?
Sponsored

sck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2016 JK, 1960 CJ5
ive driven manuals for decades....never once had to replace a clutch. Maybe its how i drive but thats like asking how long brake pads will last.....all user dependent

But as i sit here and wait for my manual Wrangler order to be shipped.....what recall are you guys speaking of? Was this in prior year JLs or is this something brand new?
I think it is just older JLs (2018-2019 timeframe) it is not a user issue as Jeep has done 2 recalls trying to cover up an issue with the clutches overheating and either slipping or completely coming apart. see here for 130+ pages about the issue Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] | 2018+ Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, 4xe, 392 - JLwranglerforums.com

I have been driving manuals for 40 years and only replaced the one on my 1960 CJ and that was because of a rear main oil seal issue not a "clutch" issue.

Last edited:

The_Irish_Weaver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S - 2-door - Manual
I think it is just older JLs (2018-2019 timeframe) it is not a user issue as Jeep has done 2 recalls trying to cover up an issue with the clutches overheating and either slipping or completely coming apart. I have been driving manuals for 40 years and only replaced the one on my 1960 CJ and that was because of a rear main oil seal issue not a "clutch" issue.
ahhhhhhh thanks for the info....yeah maybe the clutches (parts) they were putting in just were poor quality - that would definitely not be a user error

nothing is made well anymore it sucks

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
ahhhhhhh thanks for the info....yeah maybe the clutches (parts) they were putting in just were poor quality - that would definitely not be a user error

The reality is most of us have had 0 issues with the factory clutch. yours should already have all the recall procedures performed. I wouldn't sweat it too much. If I ever have to replace it I'll look into aftermarket options.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

No, they weren't. My 2018 one of the first batch of manual JL's off the production line. It's been perfectly fine. I've driven it hard (it is fun) and towed quite a bit with it, too. The issue was in assembly procedures at the factory. The second recall was an insurance policy for those not fixed properly by the dealerships, whose tech's abilities appear to vary a bit. If it was a substandard part or design, mine would have failed a long time ago.

I'm at about 54k miles and its closing in on 4 years old.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
No, they weren't. My 2018 one of the first batch of manual JL's off the production line. It's been perfectly fine. I've driven it hard (it is fun) and towed quite a bit with it, too. The issue was in assembly procedures at the factory. The second recall was an insurance policy for those not fixed properly by the dealerships, whose tech's abilities appear to vary a bit. If it was a substandard part or design, mine would have failed a long time ago.

I'm at about 54k miles and its closing in on 4 years old.
It sounds like there could also be an alignment issue between the transmission and motor on some Jeeps that gets exacerbated by the fact that there is no pilot bushing/bearing. That would go a long way to explaining some of the pressure plates coming apart. But I agree, the majority work great.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It sounds like there could also be an alignment issue between the transmission and motor on some Jeeps that gets exacerbated by the fact that there is no pilot bushing/bearing. That would go a long way to explaining some of the pressure plates coming apart. But I agree, the majority work great.
And some cases may be driver error. I sold my YJ to the owner of a local transmission shop with decades of experience. He will tell you all about some of the best manual transmission/clutches ever made that have been damaged or worn out every which way, and at very short mileage, more by poor driver technique than by any other cause. I'm not saying every case with these has been due to driver error, but I guarantee you some of them were. But nobody thinks they are doing anything wrong, ever. The nice thing about the second recall (new program) is that it provides insurance for poor clutching practices, too.

Take a guess why the now have a gear indicator in the dash. There was good reason for it.

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
I too have been driving manual for years but curious about improper technique? Any videos or websites you can provide? I'd like to compare my driving style!

csoles24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
81,267 miles and no issues at all. Definitely feel like most of these issues are user related...

Sponsored

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
9,900 miles in 17 months and no issues. Noticed no changes in behavior after the clutch software update thing that everyone was panicking about, and I really do like the gear indicator on the dash. It's not necessary by any means, but for some reason I like it hah.

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
68,000 miles on one of the first 2 door MT made (JLR ordered April 2018 & took delivery July 2018) with zero clutch issues.

Had the Y07 recall done yesterday and can see the gear on the display now, not sure I like that.....

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
68,000 miles on one of the first 2 door MT made (JLR ordered April 2018 & took delivery July 2018) with zero clutch issues.

Had the Y07 recall done yesterday and can see the gear on the display now, not sure I like that.....
Nice! I'm creeping up on 57k right now and it feels perfect, as always. I've come to love the dash display mainly because my wife no longer smokes the clutch trying to start out in 3rd gear! LOL. She has commented several times that the indicator is a big help to her. She's got a fear of going to reverse, which was the cause of her winding up in 3rd sometimes.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Nice! I'm creeping up on 57k right now and it feels perfect, as always. I've come to love the dash display mainly because my wife no longer smokes the clutch trying to start out in 3rd gear! LOL. She has commented several times that the indicator is a big help to her. She's got a fear of going to reverse, which was the cause of her winding up in 3rd sometimes.
Iā€™m a permanent WFH employee since COVID started so my mileage has not moved much in two yearsā€¦ even so Iā€™m at 47,000 and have had zero issues.

Like Dan, I like the new display for *other* drivers. Iā€™ve just started teaching my second teenagerā€¦ this summer my final kid turns 16 which will make for three newbies abusing my Jeep. Well, four if you count the way my wife drives it, but Iā€™d never say anything to her face! šŸ˜‚

The display is a useful tool, and I donā€™t even notice itā€™s there aymore.

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m a permanent WFH employee since COVID started so my mileage has not moved much in two yearsā€¦ even so Iā€™m at 47,000 and have had zero issues.
Same here, mine is my daily driver and started WFH in March of '20. Was putting on 20K/year first two years and last two years combined just 28K which includes 2 trips (from WI) to Moab for EJS :rock:
Sponsored