Sponsored

How many miles on your 2.0t?

thrasher949

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Thanks I use Shell 91 all the way and have checked the Mishimoto catch can and found it hasn't produced any oil bypass yet. Time to do some research.
I want to point out 2 things so far in this thread....

1. A catch can is not catching really any oil
2. This engine has direct injection.

1. If there is no oil inside the catch can then there is very little oil in the intake manifold which means there is basically none hitting the intake valve.

2. No fuel system cleaner is going to clean intake valves when the vehicle has direct injection. Secondly, if there no oil entering the intake there should be no carbon build up or almost none in the combustion chamber. The only way to remove deposits on the intake valve would be walnut shell blasting which by these indications so far would never be needed.

These are the most import reasons why this engine will make the long haul. Should/Can fuel system cleaner be used? It wont hurt but is not necessary.

Sarge50

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins 2008 Mazdaspeed3
As far as Carbon build up. I plan to use a good turbo safe induction type cleaner(GDI or BG44,) every 15k or so as a precaution. As long as the carbon isn't allowed to build up shouldn't be a problem with large chunks coming loose and damaging valves, cylinder wall or turbo. I haven't researched it yet for my 2.0 JL but have done it in the past on my Mazda Speed3 with no problems as long as you go slow and do not let it suck to much in at once (Hydro lock). I guess I can go through the brake booster vacume line or PVC line where it connects to my oil catch can output.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
I want to point out 2 things so far in this thread....

1. A catch can is not catching really any oil
2. This engine has direct injection.

1. If there is no oil inside the catch can then there is very little oil in the intake manifold which means there is basically none hitting the intake valve.

2. No fuel system cleaner is going to clean intake valves when the vehicle has direct injection. Secondly, if there no oil entering the intake there should be no carbon build up or almost none in the combustion chamber. The only way to remove deposits on the intake valve would be walnut shell blasting which by these indications so far would never be needed.

These are the most import reasons why this engine will make the long haul. Should/Can fuel system cleaner be used? It wont hurt but is not necessary.
Spot on.. I installed a Misimoto can 5k miles ago, here's what was in there at todays oil change. A half dozen off road trips with mud and deep water crossings.
Jeep Wrangler JL How many miles on your 2.0t? 20200927_134703

Sponsored

HuskerJL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon XR - Black
Bought 9-22, 1900 miles. Took her to Breckenridge from Omaha this weekend, ave 19 mpg @ mostly 80 mph on the interstate. The wind killed the mpg on the way back today. I also had 4 passengers and a full trunk area, so more weight than normal. I am impressed with the 2.0T, very quiet and plenty of power. I had a 3.6L before and it was louder.

wellmane450

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S Unlimited
Looks like I'm the mileage leader so far. Haha. I have 46xxx miles on my 2018 2.0t. Its been perfect so far with no issues.

Did want to mention, when I was looking for my Jeep (used last year). I saw a 2018 2.0t with 180,000 miles for sale. Verified with dealer with pictures of the odometer. Crazy amount for a 2018 in the year 2019.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Looks like I'm the mileage leader so far. Haha. I have 46xxx miles on my 2018 2.0t. Its been perfect so far with no issues.

Did want to mention, when I was looking for my Jeep (used last year). I saw a 2018 2.0t with 180,000 miles for sale. Verified with dealer with pictures of the odometer. Crazy amount for a 2018 in the year 2019.
So I'm guessing that the "unproven" engine is doing OK. I love these folks thinking that one of the largest automotive manufacturers in the world put all their bank on a bad engine! Meanwhile I hear of all kinds of issues with the "tried and true" minivan engine...

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
So I'm guessing that the "unproven" engine is doing OK. I love these folks thinking that one of the largest automotive manufacturers in the world put all their bank on a bad engine! Meanwhile I hear of all kinds of issues with the "tried and true" minivan engine...
This is true.. more issues with my 'unproven' clutch and manual transmission. The 3.6 minivan motor has been good so far. Of course only 17k miles on my 2020. Most issues with drivetrain start around 50k+ (or under 10k).

I'd have purchased the 2l turbo if they offered it with the manual trans. Not offering it should have been a red flag.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
18k miles now on my 18’ 2.0 sport. No power train issues, had a couple of hiccups where in reverse the jeep stalled for whatever reason, and where it kinda froze and just sat in neutral before shifting into reverse.

I’ve had more things done with suspension or steering than power train.

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
First, I want to say I love my Turbo JLUR. 30k

Second, has it been trouble free? Nope!!! I have had multiple batteries fail and a low voltage issue. I’m on my third battery, second TIPM. I had a clicking noise when deceleration that has not been fixed with a new turbo as well as a timing belt tensioner replacement. The battery issue might just be a grounding issue somewhere. Dealership has no clue. It’s left me stranded twice on the trail and I’ve had it towed to the dealership 3 times. Mechanically it works fine but the electrical issues have been many.

My Jeep is a 2018 delivered in September 18. I feel Jeep has fixed many of these issues and they are contained to a lucky bunch of fellow Jeep owners.

I have a lifetime warranty so I’m not too worried!!!!

Jeep Wrangler JL How many miles on your 2.0t? E0FC56D8-D3C1-45EA-96B3-8D8A0EA8904C

E1BEEBC6-70F2-4864-A7A9-80C0CF33B8B5.jpeg

Last edited:

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Geez...that's nearly 500 miles per day if he had it for a year. Not impossible but I'd like to know who the original owner was and ask him why.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Geez...that's nearly 500 miles per day if he had it for a year. Not impossible but I'd like to know who the original owner was and ask him why.
I’m interested to know how those 180k miles went. I know the 2.0gme block isn’t super new but stuff like the oil pump etc i wonder about
Sponsored