Sponsored

How many miles/kms before your first windshield chip or break?

john_cal

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Willys
2 different hits in under 2000 miles. Second hit shattered it. Have the Gorilla Glass and replaced it with Gorilla Glass.

Jeep Wrangler JL How many miles/kms before your first windshield chip or break? 02DCEA92-CE1C-49B2-BB2C-196911ADA9A4
Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
16,500 miles. picked it up in a construction zone rolling into Moab. thanks, UDOT!
was just a chip initially, but in less than 20 miles it had spread past what shows in this pic.

apparently happens so often the local glass dudes know the P/N by memory and keep multiples in stock.

Jeep Wrangler JL How many miles/kms before your first windshield chip or break? IMG_3018.JPG

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
YJ, JKU, another JKU, JLU, JT, JT EcoDiesel... countless miles, interstates, state roads, rural roads, gravel roads, off road trails... never one single crack or chip in a windshield. Not even once.

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
17 months and 18,500 miles and I finally got a crack. Jackass in a truck coming at me couldn't stay off the shoulder and zinged me with a rock. :mad:

Storey21

First Name
Trish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4 door
19 months, 42,000 kms and not a single ding. Had some hard hits that I thought for sure we’re gonna crack it. I probably shouldn’t have said anything, as I probably jinxed myself

Sponsored

InVinoVeritasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLU Willys and JLU Rubicon
Less than 800 miles. Broke in a complete circle. Right in the middle of the windshield. No truck or car ahead of me. Sounded like a "boom" and delaminated the two sheets of glass. Never seen/heard anything like it.

Jeep Wrangler JL How many miles/kms before your first windshield chip or break? IMG_3261

Last edited:

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
41500 miles over 39 months and still on my original. I even had a direct hit with a bird... blood and feathers every where, but the windshield survived.

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
My first windshield was only 1000 miles in before I broke it!

So with the replacement, I installed one of the protection film kits from these guys: www.grab-gard.com and so far so good. It's only been a few months so far, so I haven't fully tested it out yet. I've had a few big rock hits though, I think at least one of them would have broken the windshield without it.

Jeepalady17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wragler Sport S
I had mine replaced in June and wouldn't you know it 2 weeks ago here we go again and unbeknownst to me State Farm cancelled my glass coverage without my permission.. They said they thought I didn't want it anymore so now I have to pay $700 out of pocket. Needless to say I canceled State Farm today

Sponsored

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I had mine replaced in June and wouldn't you know it 2 weeks ago here we go again and unbeknownst to me State Farm cancelled my glass coverage without my permission.. They said they thought I didn't want it anymore so now I have to pay $700 out of pocket. Needless to say I canceled State Farm today
That's infuriating! How much was the glass coverage? Where I'm at, I was getting really high quotes for glass coverage, so I am trying out a kit I bought at www.grab-gard.com instead.

I'm hoping it ends up cheaper over time than glass coverage would be. Fingers crossed.

Jeepalady17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was only 4.00/mo well worth and now they want to raise my premium from $700.00 every 6 months to $900.00/every 6 months because I complained about. it.... Never had an accident, never had a claim except glass so what gives? So I talked to "Flo" (Progressive) and got their insurance with more coverage AND glass (with $100 deductible) for $500.00 every 6 months

Jeepalady17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's infuriating! How much was the glass coverage? Where I'm at, I was getting really high quotes for glass coverage, so I am trying out a kit I bought at www.grab-gard.com instead.

I'm hoping it ends up cheaper over time than glass coverage would be. Fingers crossed.
Oh thanks too,, I forgot to say that in my last reply to you.. I will definnitely look into the Grab-gard.. Sounds like a great solution
Sponsored