Sponsored

How many miles is enough to begin modifications?

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
Just for fun, what are your opinions on the amount of miles that need to be put on a Wrangler before you sink a bunch of money in modifications into it?

I have a 2021 JLUR that I ordered last October and picked up in November. It has the Hurricane 4 with the automatic (so no eTorque System). I got caught in a snowstorm at around 500 miles so I know the 4wd works as well as the lockers. It has been flawless other than the airbag light that I caused to go on. I am about to sink a lot (to me) of money into it on things like a power top, lift, tires/wheels/rails and so on... When do you think is "enough" miles so you know you have a solid Jeep to begin with and will not be sinking money into a nightmare?

THANKS!
Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
-1 miles.. LOL

Drive it for a couple of thousand miles so you get used to all the sounds and noises your rig makes while stock.. also.. so you get used to how your suspension works ... how rough or smooth it is and how it tracks and how good the steering system works on the highway .. if you don't and install a bunch or suspension components and other parts right away you are not going to have a baseline to compare "before and after" then possibly blame bad steering / roughness or noise to the new components while in reality your new rig already had those issues from factory

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Just for fun, what are your opinions on the amount of miles that need to be put on a Wrangler before you sink a bunch of money in modifications into it?

I have a 2021 JLUR that I ordered last October and picked up in November. It has the Hurricane 4 with the automatic (so no eTorque System). I got caught in a snowstorm at around 500 miles so I know the 4wd works as well as the lockers. It has been flawless other than the airbag light that I caused to go on. I am about to sink a lot (to me) of money into it on things like a power top, lift, tires/wheels/rails and so on... When do you think is "enough" miles so you know you have a solid Jeep to begin with and will not be sinking money into a nightmare?

THANKS!
I think I had 500 miles on mine when I moved to 35's and then 700 when I put the Mopar lift on it. I would have done it sooner if the lift had been available a little quicker. I had also bought my winch on Black Friday of 2017, a month a half before I took delivery. My wife thought I was silly but I got a heck of a deal on that winch!

On my JK, it took awhile. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, so I wheeled it stock for probably 40k miles or so. I did add an oil pan skid and evap canister skid early on, though, along with lights. Probably around 60k I put 33's and a 2" lift on it, after the original 32's were worn enough that I wanted to replace them.

On the JL, the dealer gave me a deal on the installation and it was a Mopar lift, so no warranty concerns. They never bothered me about warranty coverage with the JK's 2" lift and 33's, either.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

THANKS!
I guess 36, since that’s how far it was from my dealership to home where I started replacing suspension parts, still had window sticker in...........me.....:clap:.......the wife.....:facepalm:......:)

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
had 50 miles on my sport before i changed to larger tires, and had the windows tinted. did sliders, and differential skid plates the following winter after realizing i had scraped a few times.

coldstart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps are shit. Like their owners.
Occupation
Space Cadet
I don’t get modding. I’m sure the vendors are appreciative of the easy profit.

OP
OP
bigfoot21075

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
I don’t get modding. I’m sure the vendors are appreciative of the easy profit.
This is my 118th vehicle (not including motorcycles). I LIVE modding. Everything from street rods to 4x4's to muscle cars. I have never owned a vehicle, old or new, that I DIDN'T modify.

Sponsored

coldstart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps are shit. Like their owners.
Occupation
Space Cadet
This is my 118th vehicle (not including motorcycles). I LIVE modding. Everything from street rods to 4x4's to muscle cars. I have never owned a vehicle, old or new, that I DIDN'T modify.
Wow. Then why are you asking us?

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
I think I had 300 miles on my 2012 Rubicon before I began extensively modifying it.

I wouldn’t suggest it, but it’s an option lol.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
There was 93 miles on my JLUR. The dealer was about 70 miles from my house and then I ran my wife to the store starting the mods. Lift tires, front bumper, winch, and rock rails.

My buds. JLUR had 63 miles on it when we added the lift and 37s.

My other buds JLUR had 116 miles when the lift and 37s were put on it.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
1000 miles on the clock when I put on a lift and 37's. Another 500 and the RSE sliders went on.
Sponsored