Sponsored

How many miles before brake replacement?

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
how many miles before I need new brakes. I have 26kmiles on y jeep now.
Sponsored

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
how many miles before I need new brakes. I have 26kmiles on y jeep now.
That depends entirely on how hard you are on the brakes. Brake replacement is predicated on wear of the pads to a given minimum thickness. A lot of brake pads have a metal piece that will rub on the disc when the brake pads get worn, making a squealing noise. Most German (and maybe other) cars have a wear sensor built into the pad that will tell you when they need replacing. And some have no kind of indicator and simply require a visual inspection.
That being said, I haven’t been into the brakes on mine yet so I’m not sure what they have. But if you pull the wheel, it’s pretty easy to see pad thickness.
Always change them before they are completely worn down. If you get to metal on metal, then you are likely replacing discs as well.

Last edited:

USMCBK1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
I have no idea, but all I know is that everytime I begin to drive my 2018 JLUR my brakes always squeak for the first few stops, and I only have 11000 miles on it, very frustrating and embarrassing considering what I paid for it.. and to be clear not just the first start up, every start up!! like going to the supermarket, they squeak the first few times going there, then the first few stops coming back.. :headbang: heavy duty brakes my ass...

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
It depends on how you drive, if you tow with/without trailer brakes, etc... but regular dealer maintenance should indicate when they're due for service. You don't want to see the brake system warning light.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Just changed the brakes on my DD after 100k miles, should have done them a year ago though. But I see morons driving with their foot resting on the brake. They will have to replace them much sooner.

Sponsored

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
Just changed the brakes on my DD after 100k miles, should have done them a year ago though. But I see morons driving with their foot resting on the brake. They will have to replace them much sooner.
Wow! 100k on a set of brakes? That's insane. I think the most I ever went on any car/truck/Jeep I've owned has been about 30k. The damn rotors are so cheaply made these days. They're all from China.

Pads should be replaced when they're at 1/4" thickness. Feel the rotors. Is there a pronounced lip on the outside edge? Then those need replaced as well.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Wow! 100k on a set of brakes? That's insane. I think the most I ever went on any car/truck/Jeep I've owned has been about 30k. The damn rotors are so cheaply made these days. They're all from China.

Pads should be replaced when they're at 1/4" thickness. Feel the rotors. Is there a pronounced lip on the outside edge? Then those need replaced as well.

Rotors were replaced too. After a certain amount of miles i swap the rotors no matter what. I personally don't like to have them turned, they just never are right after. My wifes car is going on about 70k for a set of brakes. She is about due for a new set.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I usually get about 70,000 miles out of a set of front brakes and about 100,000 miles out of rear brakes, but with that said, most of my commute when I worked was on the freeway. Now that I am retired, I expect that I will replace the brakes with less miles as my driving is now just fuck off kind of driving going here and there. Also I am not driving 40,000 mile a year either. More like 10,000.

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport; 2014 Grand Cherokee Ltd
There are far too many variables to predict the # of miles, such as hilly or flat terrain, city or highway driving, vehicle load, and personal driving habits.

I suggest getting them checked by a professional that you trust. Don't wait for the wear sensors to scream at you - you will need new rotors too usually by that point.

XCPirate

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S/2020 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
As other people have said that cant be directly answered. I went 26k on mine before changing them out to the American Power Brakes Big Brake kit. I am lifted with 35" tires and I flat tow the Jeep behind an RV. I mention that because I forgot to lube the external brake cable after mudding and on me trip to GSMJI it had the brakes applied for several miles. When I changed the brakes they were at about half of the usable life. I changed the kit out because Sports on 35's have terrible brakes.

bruiser_jlu_75576673_2539121669500979_9113239583302703150_n.jpg

Sponsored

Willys53

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1951 Willys CJ3A, all original, 1953 Willys CJ3B with V8 and mods , 2021 JLUR Diesel

1/4 of original thickness? I have never replaced any untill closer to 1/8". Maybe I am a tight wad ?!

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
1/4 of original thickness? I have never replaced any untill closer to 1/8". Maybe I am a tight wad ?!
You revived a year old thread.

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I am at 52k miles and havent changed mine. Thinking about doing it soon tho

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I’m at 53,000 and my mechanic inspected brakes last week. “Look like new.”

Note that I have a manual and use engine braking a lot. Also a two door, so lighter than the short bus.
Sponsored