Sponsored

How many members here wheel serious off road with stock size tires and OEM lift?

hockeynut258

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just finished taking 2.5 months off work and spent it mostly on trails in Colorado and Utah. 25+ days on the trails, 8 badge of honor trails. Several 6-7/10 difficulty trails. No lift JLUR, stock tires. I have skid plates and a front bumper (mainly for flat towing).

With a two door you’ll have no problems on most trails and skid plates will allow you to relax and enjoy the trail and not cringe whenever you rub or bump on a rock.
I’ve touched the stock rock rails 3 times, all very slight as it was planned. The underbelly skids get a work out but a two door has much better break over and shouldn’t be dragging as much.

steering stabilizer relocation would be nice but most won’t work without a lift. Double check before buying one. Or you could keep an OEM stabilizer as a spare. They’re only around $30.
Reguardless what you buy, get out and have fun! These jeeps are crazy capable out of the box!
Jeep Wrangler JL How many members here wheel serious off road with stock size tires and OEM lift? CCBF0841-C77A-4C32-A0B0-6BED92D166F8
Sponsored

OP
OP
OllieChristopher

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
steering stabilizer relocation would be nice but most won’t work without a lift.
That's good info to know. I assumed they would work. In fact some of the diff guards such as Metalcloak require it to be relocated in order to fit their guards.

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
I was thinking of what size tires I would get if I purchased a 2 door Rubicon. I have come to the conclusion to just leave it with stock size 285's and see what it can do. I am not putting down anyone who wants to go big.

I believe I would be much better served with skid plates, rock sliders, diff guards, etc. Along with replacing OEM chassis components with beefier aftermarket as they wear out/break on the trail. Maybe a nice set of shocks to compliment the OEM lift.
I agree. Your approach makes sense. Skids are the best insurance.

I bought a Rubicon so I'd have a baseline, and be positioned to figure out what (if any) changes I might need for where I live.

A winch, and eventually 35s with a gear swap is probably going to be the only thing I do to mine. I live at the beach, so no need for skids unless I plan to head inland.

The winch is definite though for me. Ill probably install it this spring.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I was thinking of what size tires I would get if I purchased a 2 door Rubicon. I have come to the conclusion to just leave it with stock size 285's and see what it can do. I am not putting down anyone who wants to go big.

Some background on myself: I have ridden/driven off highway desert since a kid. I've taken my XR600, 650R, KTM300, KFX700 (quad), and latest Beta 498 on some of the nastiest trails imaginable. I even raced District 37 desert for few seasons with my KTM300.

I do have a bunch of anecdotal experience of what I actually see on the hard core "black diamond" trails. Almost every time I see some Jeep Wrangler/truck with huge tires up to my chest broken with a line of rigs behind waiting for a repair.

With my lack of Jeep experience (having never owned a 4wd), I think It would be too easy to get myself over my head with a lift and large tires.

I believe I would be much better served with skid plates, rock sliders, diff guards, etc. Along with replacing OEM chassis components with beefier aftermarket as they wear out/break on the trail. Maybe a nice set of shocks to compliment the OEM lift.

For those of you experienced in wheeling what is your take on my thinking? Am I out of line in regards to being conservative? I honestly have no desire to beat the crap out of my rig on some of those outrageous King Of Hammer style trails. In fact I stopped riding those kind of trails when I got rid of my KTM300.

I would politely ask keep this thread on track: This is not about anyone who is lifting or going larger tires for looks. My opinion on the Jeep Wrangler is it's mostly a vehicle for it's function off highway!! I don't want this thread flooded with posts by those who are not going to actually use these rigs off road.
Huge fan of 315's on JLUR's as not a lot needed to make those work. Perhaps they will offer the XR package on 2 doors sometimes soon and then that option gets you all you need; plus a few aftermarket skids to protect stuff.

I am a huge fan of less-is-more these days. I find it far more enjoyable to do a tough trail in a near stock jeep as it's a mental game to find the line and make it work.

Trk3263

First Name
T2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I like your thoughts and hoping to do similar with my new Rubicon 4dr. Looking for a good budget bumper and winch and hope to run it stock unless I find a need to upgrade as I wheel. Watching this thread!

Sponsored

NewbieJon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I have a stock 2021 4 door Rubicon, which I upgraded to 34"x11" tires when my son needed new 33s on his Tacoma. I have already been on a couple difficult trails, Miller Jeep Trail and Rowher Flats, along with several of the difficult offshoots on Cleghorn, here in Southern California.

I am pleasantly surprised at how capable the stock Rubicon is, and how big a rock and deep a hole the stock Rubicon will crawl over and through.

The only reason to lift and get bigger tires is to crawl over even bigger boulders. You will soon find out if that's what you want to do.

I want to drive on more difficut trails, so I will be getting a 2.5" to 3.5" lift soon, along with more skids and real rock sliders.

Enjoy.

Some background on myself: I have ridden/driven off highway desert since a kid. I've taken my XR600, 650R, KTM300, KFX700 (quad), and latest Beta 498 on some of the nastiest trails imaginable. I even raced District 37 desert for few seasons with my KTM300.

I do have a bunch of anecdotal experience of what I actually see on the hard core "black diamond" trails. Almost every time I see some Jeep Wrangler/truck with huge tires up to my chest broken with a line of rigs behind waiting for a repair.

With my lack of Jeep experience (having never owned a 4wd), I think It would be too easy to get myself over my head with a lift and large tires.

For those of you experienced in wheeling what is your take on my thinking? Am I out of line in regards to being conservative? I honestly have no desire to beat the crap out of my rig on some of those outrageous King Of Hammer style trails. In fact I stopped riding those kind of trails when I got rid of my KTM300.

I would politely ask keep this thread on track: This is not about anyone who is lifting or going larger tires for looks. My opinion on the Jeep Wrangler is it's mostly a vehicle for it's function off highway!! I don't want this thread flooded with posts by those who are not going to actually use these rigs off road.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
OP, If you haven't wheeled much, your Jeep as is is way more competent than you are. Especially in a 2 door, you will be shocked at where it will go. Airing down is a key to both performance and comfort off road. Buy a good compressor, you'll use it every day. My Jeep is a 4 door and here in Yuma we wheel in rock. If your area is rocky as well, the first mod I'd do is the sliders. The rubi ones suck. You need something that sticks out further than the doors as well as protecting the rockers. Next is a good front bumper with a shield for the steering. I'm a big fan of RockHard but there are lots of others. Don't worry about the rear bumper until you rip the plastic off, then go to a metal one. You will eventually want to go up with both tires and lift. The bigger you go the worse the pavement ride and handling. You need to decide this one for yourself. For me, 35's are as big as I'm willing to go. KO2s are hard to beat. I wheel with another 4 door with the Mopar lift and 35s. I went with the RC 2.5 puck lift with full size Bilsteins. My Jeep rides and handles better both on and off road. Just saying. Winches look gnarly but a good recovery rope is first. Get that air compressor and some recovery gear and go have fun. Remember, if you aren't comfortable with the trail, you do have a reverse gear. Don't be afraid or ashamed to use it.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The JLR will easily get you in to places most won’t even try to go in stock form. 35’s fit with minimal/no mods and I’m not a fan of KO2’s anyway so if I were building a 2 door I’d probably bolt on a set of 35’s, skids, winch, and some shocks with more travel than the stockers and wheel it. As far as not getting in over your head, it boils down to knowing when it’s time to use the various tools that come with owning a rubicon. We wheel most easy to moderate trails in 2wd with the sway bar disconnected, both for ride comfort and maximum traction by keeping the rear tires on the ground. Get to an obstacle that needs it, switch to 4hi. If it’s really technical go to 4LO. Only use the lockers if we can’t make it without. Winching is the last resort. It pains me to watch some YouTube channels and for even the most mild “obstacles” they are in 4LO with both lockers on, completely unnecessary.

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
Jeep Wrangler JL How many members here wheel serious off road with stock size tires and OEM lift? DBA9BEAA-FE22-482A-8265-4ECDFCDF0868

2018 JL Sport-S. 6 speed manual, swaybar disconnected, Rubicon suspension and rubicon stock tires. I know this picture doesn’t look like much but it got way worse. Not a problem thanks to my rock rails and underbody skid plates (of which I hit every single one). I will also say I’m running a D44 rear w/ LSD and regeared to 4.56.

Start with skid plates and go from there.

Photo is Gumby’s Rocks at Iron Range offroad park in Gilbert, MN. I don’t recall the difficulty level but it’s a lot of iron ore waste rocks. I’m guessing like a 6 out of 10.

Donevan.Ausborn

First Name
Donevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangle JLU Sport S 2.0, 03 VTX 1800 C
Jeep Wrangler JL How many members here wheel serious off road with stock size tires and OEM lift? DBA9BEAA-FE22-482A-8265-4ECDFCDF0868

2018 JL Sport-S. 6 speed manual, swaybar disconnected, Rubicon suspension and rubicon stock tires. I know this picture doesn’t look like much but it got way worse. Not a problem thanks to my rock rails and underbody skid plates (of which I hit every single one). I will also say I’m running a D44 rear w/ LSD and regeared to 4.56.

Start with skid plates and go from there.

Photo is Gumby’s Rocks at Iron Range offroad park in Gilbert, MN. I don’t recall the difficulty level but it’s a lot of iron ore waste rocks. I’m guessing like a 6 out of 10.
What skid plates did you end up going with, I'm a huge advocate for doing everything stock showing off some of these other guys with crazy mods and loss of money. Buuuut i do tent to scrape and klunk a little more, and i havent found a good set of skids for the sport, and i have the same as you. So what did you get lol.

Sponsored

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
I learned how to do some trail driving back as an Airman stationed at Cannon AFB way back in the 70’s. My first Jeep was just a basic CJ5 with what I thought were HUGE 31 inch tires on white wagon wheels. A few of us were trail riders down there searching for abandoned Cars and trucks to get parts off of.

All of my Jeeps (4 total) I have or will be taking off road at some point. Even my 2003 WJ went off road and it was a Joy.

Even my 2020 Subaru Outback I have pressed into service off road at my brother’s Camp. While not a terrible rock strung trail, it takes good effort to get up and over the hills and washouts.
Yep, I have scrapes on the sides and on the bottom galore. My vehicles may not be 100% stock because I always up grade to a better tire, dependent on the vehicle and it’s main use.

Bottom line, if you don’t try, you can’t get better.

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
What skid plates did you end up going with, I'm a huge advocate for doing everything stock showing off some of these other guys with crazy mods and loss of money. Buuuut i do tent to scrape and klunk a little more, and i havent found a good set of skids for the sport, and i have the same as you. So what did you get lol.
I have Engine, transmission, and gas aluminum skid plates from M.O.R.E. (https://mountainoffroad.com). I went with them for two reasons: 1. It’s less weight and 2. It’s made in America. Yes they are not cheap but they do 20% off sales about every holiday so I’d just wait until then and get it.

My LCA and FAD skid plates from rockhard4x4. I also went with them because they are made in America.

Rock rails are ROAM. Reason: Made in America. These are the only items I would consider changing. My ROAM rails are nice, but the “rhino” coating I got was pure shit. I’m actually about to get the rails sand blasted and powder coated. I’ve pretty much ripped off all the coating because they did a shit job prepping the rails. I like the company, but I’d probably look to see what other American made companies are out there.

Why go with all American made companies? Because these are typically small companies who have to go by word of mouth and the quality of their product. Yes they cost more, but you have to pay to get American made. M.O.R.E. Has been a great company to buy from and I would 100% do that again. Example: When they sent my gas skid plate they forgot to add some specialty bolts. I had an upcoming trip. They made sure I got what I needed in time to install the skid plate before my trip. Upstanding people.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I just got back from Moab with my stock JLR and had a blast. Ran quite a few trails and just a few scrapes. Your lines are key.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Drive your Rubi stock-unless you are into seriously nasty stuff it’ll do anything you will want. I’ve ran trails for years with far less capable Jeeps than a stock Rubicon. My S on Rubi wheels and KO2’s , with a Smiitybilt winch and Rockhard Patriot bumpers has been in some nasty places and always gets me home. I highly recommend a good winch, self recovery and basic survival gear anytime you go very far off the beaten track. If you find yourself getting into situation where you need to self rescue you can. If that situation occurs with any regularity then you can look at whatever mods may be needed for YOUR type of exploring. Good luck, stay safe, and as the BoyScouts used to say “Be Prepared”
Sponsored