Sponsored

How many bikes are safe to load on a spare tire bike rack? I don't want to overload the tail gate/spare tire carrier.

erickdiaz019

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
How many bikes are safe to load on a spare tire bike rack? I don't want to overload the tail gate/spare tire carrier.
Sponsored

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Nobody knows what you have, so only you can provide an accurate answer for your usage. The forum could probably help with a maximum load if you know:

The type of tire bike-rack, or weight and capacity.

If you have any sort of tailgate reinforcement.

Weight of spare.

Weight of the bikes.

Stock everything, standard adult/children bikes, and random carrier, I'd do a short trip with maybe three bikes; long trip, max two. This is probably over the stock tailgate weight limit, so don't quote me on that.

OP
OP

erickdiaz019

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Nobody knows what you have, so only you can provide an accurate answer for your usage. The forum could probably help with a maximum load if you know:

The type of tire bike-rack, or weight and capacity.

If you have any sort of tailgate reinforcement.

Weight of spare.

Weight of the bikes.

Stock everything, standard adult/children bikes, and random carrier, I'd do a short trip with maybe three bikes; long trip, max two. This is probably over the stock tailgate weight limit, so don't quote me on that.

I have the Allen Sports Deluxe spare tire rack. My spare is stock wheels and tires (JLU sport). My bike is 30 lbs, and was wondering if it's safe to carry another 30 lb bike (2 bikes total)

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I have the Allen Sports Deluxe spare tire rack. My spare is stock wheels and tires (JLU sport). My bike is 30 lbs, and was wondering if it's safe to carry another 30 lb bike (2 bikes total)
Like what @Jeepney Johnny implied above, once you start adding weight to a lever pulling on the spare, the forces add up quickly.

I agree that a hitch rack is definitely the way to go, but it seems you already have the tire mount. Those are slightly heavy bikes, but I'd be comfortable with one going down country roads. I would definitely try to avoid bouncy roads with two.

Trips to the park or something with two bikes should be fine. It might twist the tailgate a bit, and add some squeaks and leaks somewhere down the road if you do two up often, or travel far.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert, and haven't ridden a bicycle in years.

If you attached those bottom straps differently, you could still access the rear.

FairMcG

First Name
Frank McGuire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Renegade
I'd like to see how it looks. Does anybody knows, is it possible to load 3 bikes on a rake somehow? Got 2 mtb and 1 gravel bike XL sizes(30 lbs each, like this)
Sponsored

Last edited: