Sponsored

How many baseball caps have you lost with top and doors off?

Juni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
0, but 1 close call... my Daughter almost lost her favorite hat today and we only had the top off. Yipe.
Sponsored

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
My baseball caps are extremely precious to me. Should I flip them backwards like a baseball catcher? Would a beret be a safer choice? :whew:

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
Haha to funny seeing this now. I was driving yesterday and a gust of wind took mine off. Turned in to next parking lot and waited till traffic was finished running over it then ran out in the street to retrieve it.

mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software
So back in the mid 90's a friend of mine was riding in the back of my YJ on the Long Island Expressway, when he had to piss. So unknown the the passenger and I, he just stood up and started pissing out the back. The passenger, myself and the entire interior got misted in my buddies piss, which due to the vortex, only about 50% made it out of the vehicle.

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve lost my Motobilt cap and also had our movie blanket fly out from under the driver seat and go in front of the windshield while going down the highway good times lol.

Sponsored

Doug Huse

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, Fire Cracker Red, 2019 Winnie M/H, Kia
Never lost a hat out of any of the cars I've owned with their tops down, but I did lose two riding in boats on the river.

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
I use a soft safari hat with neck cinch for just that reason.

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
In all my years of Jeeps I have never lost a hat. I lost a cell phone once, (motorola flip phone) but I honestly don't know if it fell out somewhere or if someone snagged it when I ran into a gas station.

I wear a baseball cap pretty much every day, and often when I'm driving the Jeep. the one I currently have is old, worn in and a bit loose. If I feel any lift I have it tucked between the driver seat and parking brake lever. It stays there just fine. This mostly always works for me as my sunglasses are enough and I have short hair. If I'm going on a longer trip I tend to wear my tilley hat which doesn't move on my head at all. It has a chin strap as well that I could use if I ever thought it was going to fly away but I've never needed it in the Jeep. Tilley hats carry a lifetime warranty, I'm also pretty sure they still give you an offer to replace a lost Tilley hat at half price.

I've worn Tilley hats for several years and very seldom wear "ball caps" anymore, I have one winter and three summer Tilley hats that go with me just about everywhere. My favorite two are the Hiker's Hat and the TH5 Hemp Hat. They are expensive hats but worth it IMO. I keep a little cash in the stash pocket, because you never know.

The uninformed have a lot fun at my expense, but they are awesome hats.

Note: they should only be worn by married men, or by those who have no intention of chatting up the opposite sex. Consider it your topless Jeep birth control. Not to worry if you drive a Toyota or Lexus product, because you've already got the rolling birth control covered with those ugly front ends.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I feel like I should post this here. I’ve been taken aback by the wind buffeting in my JL when the doors are off. It’s far worse than I ever remember experiencing in my TJ or YJ and I’m still not quite sure if it’s entirely due to aerodynamics, I’m driving faster than I did in my other jeeps, or the winds in Texas are just that bad (I only drove my other jeeps in FL, GA and HI). I’ve almost lost my hat a few times and even had sunglasses fly off.

The other day on a whim I decided to move the passenger seat forward about 8” and straighten the seat back as far up as it goes. I immediately noticed that all the wind coming from the passenger side was now blocked by the seat, and driving on the highway was much more tolerable. There’s still a good amount of buffeting but nothing like before.

Sponsored

gonavy34

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Though my wife would be happy if I lost a few ballcaps...or 20...had to order something else I didn't know I needed until this thread. 3 hat clips on the way...

OP
OP
JeepU4IA

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I’ve been taken aback by the wind buffeting in my JL
Do you mean buffeting or turbulence? Buffeting happens sometimes when you only open one window in an otherwise airtight car. That choppy air is uncomfortable and actually hurts my ears. Turbulence, on the other hand, makes me feel I'm driving a Jeep! Now, if only my darn cap would stay on...

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
Lost a set of keys that were in my left pocket with the top and doors off, forgot to clip them to my belt loop. With the windshield down I take off my hat, I suppose if it were crazy glued to my head it might stay but otherwise forget it.

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
I wear my baseball cap backwards with the roof open and the doors off. Gives me more sky in my vision which is why I have the roof open in the first place. And yes, I do have sun screen on! No problem with it flying off!