First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I've been thinking about this problem and the so many people who report having it. This has to be a defect with the JL design. It appears that when there is little friction between the tires and the road, as the case may be with newer (and perhaps stiffer) tires that are inflated sufficiently to provide a smaller contact patch with the road, the Jeep steering geometry is not providing sufficient directional stability. That is the bottom line - the inherent directional stability of the steering system, regardless of tire friction.

As in my case, dropping the tire pressure to create a wider contact patch seems to improve stability, or perhaps just mask the natural instability of the Jeep. Perhaps as the tires ware out in the center they naturally create a wider contact patch even at higher pressures, which has the same end result. But this is just masking the problem - i.e. a band aid. The root problem is the poorly designed steering system and I'm not sure we can do anything about that. Not without spending a lot of money anyways.
I agree with statement about the steering geometry. The electric assist needs to go also.
Sponsored

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Just FYI, My 2020 2 door Rubicon is really nice, but if you think they have solved the problems,guess again. I finally took mine to the dealer and said put it on the alignment rack and give me a print out of the before and after specs. The first try at dealer was totally unacceptable. ie; they all drive that way etc.you have all heard the story before. The supervisor came back with the copies and said; you were right alignment was way off from the factory. Did an alignment and now is straight down the road with just a few small adjustments to the steering. A 1000 percent improvement,also lowered the tire pressure to 34 from 42 as it was shipped. Still addressing the no altitude or gps lat/long. Looks like a software rewrite coming around 15 November, to be done over the air. On start up, got a shot of hot air from the air conditioning system. for about 60 sec. Then on a 40 mile pleasure drive got another shot of hot air for a few minutes. I'm wondering if it's the automatic temp control system balancing to maintain the set temp. Any one got an idea? addressed this with dealer,got it on paper. I was told that the prior issues on the 2018,19 would not pertain to the 2020. That is a bunch of crap. It is still a great vehicle, FIAT has a problem. The steering could be fixed by going back to the full hydraulic system. By the way there were no fault codes detected.
The periodic hot air issue is probably by design, but it’s “fixable”. A few threads on this issue in this forum talk about it. We had a 2018 2dr. with the issue, now a brand new 2020 4dr with the same issue. Apparently Chrysler thinks after a few minutes on recirc, you need some fresh air so it opens the vent behind the glove box. Passenger feels it on hot days. Even happens without the recirc button pushed. Basically, unplug the vent behind the glove box when the vent is either fully open or closed. You will then be permanently on either recirc or fresh air, but no more random blasts of hot (or cold in the winter) air

Sponsored

WranglerAdvs

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JK Sahara, 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
We are on our third week with our 2020 JLUR. 600 miles on it and couldn't be happier. I can already tell its going to be a long road to get it to be as equipped as my 14' JK Sahara but I enjoy the process. Here goes a picture.

DSCF5338 1.jpg

D-Bone

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Wrangler.jpg
Just picked up my 2020 Turbo Altitude Sport with newly installed 20s and 33s and absolutely love it!
Typically haven't been a fan of 20"s on a wrangler, but dayum! Gotta say your rig (wheels, tires, color combo, etc) looks awesome! Congrats!

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '21 4R TRDP, '21 Supra, '13 LR4, '72 442
Vehicle Showcase
Picked up 2 weeks ago and so far so good! Put Nitto RG 35's on before it left the dealer. Really happy with the way it came out …
Jeep Rec Pic 1.jpg

Just_Devin

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I've had mine for all of 2 days. I owned a 2014 JKU previously that was totalled a few weeks back. Fast forward and here I am with my new manual 2020 JLUR. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The upgraded audio on the JL is lightyears better than the upgraded audio on the JK. I'm also enjoying the short shift on this model too.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Had our JLUR just short of a week. So far, steering is a bit "loose". Nothing like some of the reports I've seen here, just enough to be annoying. I'll be asking our dealer to check torque specs on all steering and axle/suspension components at the time of our first visit. Sometimes seems to idle a bit roughly.

Still need to get the front camera operational, a promise I made to my bride. Tomorrow's project is to upgrade the Tazer lite to a bit more robust version and pull the radio/nav head again to reposition the power leads. First wife centric mod was the installation of power steps. 5' with arthritic knees needed an assist.

Sponsored

JayPear5

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Placed an order for my 2020 Willy's on 10/14. Picked up from the dealer on 11/4. (Grear turnaround time.

PROS

First Wrangler, after wanting one for 20 years, and don't have much experience driving them but steering seems good,not great. (Have the 33 inch mud tires that come stock, so will try lowering PSI)

Hesitant on the Alpine speakers during ordering, but glad I did. They sound great.

CONS (Use that word loosely)

Surprised there is not a stock navigation app on uConnect (7in). I will be using Android Auto, but surprisingly nonetheless. Interface looks kind of bland.
20191104_155917.jpg

That's about it. Couldn't be happier about the Willys package. Almost everything I wanted cosmetically. Love my 2020!

Errick

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2020 Wrangler JL, Corvette
Occupation
Retired
Mine just arrived at the dealers today. Will be picking it up next week.

Happy days.

XCPirate

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S/2020 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
We got one of the first 2020's off the line. The build was complete on 8/2 and we picked it up on 8/16. The shame is it just crossed 1000 miles on 11/11 but it already has a new bumper and LED Headlights..

Kailani4.jpg
Sponsored