How many 2020 owners out there now?

Do you own a 2020

• Total voters

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
I had the same smell- it will fade away as you put more miles on it and expose the engine compartment to sustained higher temps.

I took delivery of my 2020 JLU Sport on 9/11/19. The 2.0L engine has a surprising amount of power and the gas mileage so far has been pretty good (22 mpg combined). The only concern I have is with the steering on mine. Has a bit more play than I would have expected. Tires came with 41 PSI I dropped them to 36 but might try dropping them to 32 to see if it helps. I get a lot of wander between 50-75 MPH.

I am new to Wranglers, but it only took one drive in a friends with the top off to make me realize that I had found the vehicle for me!
I was hoping the steering on the 2020's would be normal.:swear:

Udi

First Name
Udi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR 2.0L, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
I was hoping the steering on the 2020's would be normal.:swear:
The steering is normal when the tire pressure is right. Mine was challenging to drive on the highway with 36 psi. I dropped the pressure to 31 cold and steering is now perfectly normal and the car feels stable. A chalk test shows this pressure is not too low. This is for a 2 door Rubicon.

IceIceBaybee

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Mojito!
The steering is normal when the tire pressure is right. Mine was challenging to drive on the highway with 36 psi. I dropped the pressure to 31 cold and steering is now perfectly normal and the car feels stable. A chalk test shows this pressure is not too low. This is for a 2 door Rubicon.
Took mine down to 32 psi cold last night and it drove the same this morning. The wander at highway speeds is pretty nerve wracking and there are moments where it is a challenge to keep it in lane. I might run it in to the dealer but I fully expect them to say it just drives like a Wrangler...

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Took mine down to 32 psi cold last night and it drove the same this morning. The wander at highway speeds is pretty nerve wracking and there are moments where it is a challenge to keep it in lane. I might run it in to the dealer but I fully expect them to say it just drives like a Wrangler...
I cant believe they havent gotten it right yet. Jeep should be fine at recommended tire pressure. I have a 2020 on order and I am skeptical at best. Watching Jen Carfagno on the weather channel, at the moment , makes the anxiety a little more bearable.

Sponsored

IceIceBaybee

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Mojito!
I cant believe they haven't gotten it right yet. Jeep should be fine at recommended tire pressure. I have a 2020 on order and I am skeptical at best. Watching Jen Carfagno on the weather channel, at the moment , makes the anxiety a little more bearable.
I am going to put more miles on it before I make any decisions. I have seen quite a few people comment on how things change at 500, 1,000, and 3,000 miles. Nobody knows if its the vehicle "breaking in" or them just getting used to it, but I will wait and see- I am close to 500 miles now. Otherwise, around town I am having an absolute blast!

Udi

First Name
Udi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is how I felt before I dropped the air pressure. I couldn't take my eyes off the road at highway speeds because it was so twitchy. Mine is a 2 door, which are more sensitive anyway, but it is fine now with a lower pressure. Try 29-30 psi and if that doesn't help your specific car may have a steering adjustment issue. If this continues you should definitely take it to the dealer. Don't compromise, it's not the nature of the Wranglers.

p.s. just read your last posting and my JLR has only 730 miles - I guess I should try going back to the factory recommended pressure in a couple hundred miles...

Udi

First Name
Udi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been thinking about this problem and the so many people who report having it. This has to be a defect with the JL design. It appears that when there is little friction between the tires and the road, as the case may be with newer (and perhaps stiffer) tires that are inflated sufficiently to provide a smaller contact patch with the road, the Jeep steering geometry is not providing sufficient directional stability. That is the bottom line - the inherent directional stability of the steering system, regardless of tire friction.

As in my case, dropping the tire pressure to create a wider contact patch seems to improve stability, or perhaps just mask the natural instability of the Jeep. Perhaps as the tires ware out in the center they naturally create a wider contact patch even at higher pressures, which has the same end result. But this is just masking the problem - i.e. a band aid. The root problem is the poorly designed steering system and I'm not sure we can do anything about that. Not without spending a lot of money anyways.

SanDShovel

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sahara
wondering how many 2020 owners are out on the road now and what their thoughts are..

Im a week into owning mine and have enjoyed the crap out of it... having owned a 05 TJ and driven a 2016 JK this feels leaps n bounds smoother..

what are your thoughts and maybe pet peeves so far?
I'm in my 5th Wrangler and second factory order -- a 2020 Unlimited, SkyTop. I would have thought it would take forever. TEN DAYS! I ordered on 9/16 and was driving from the dealer on 9/26. Even the dealer was shocked at the turn-around.We think it was already in queue at Toledo and they tagged it as a SOLD. I love it!

Steven79

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting-Gray V6 Auto
ordered a 2020 8/31

should have it in a few more days, awaiting delivery from the rail yard to the dealership.

Sponsored

kacper244

First Name
Kacper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2016 VW Jetta, 1993 Wrangler YJ (Sold)
I joined this forum before even the 2018's were on the streets, but I held off and got the 2019. Now 2020's are on the road. Time flies!

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Turbo Unlimited Altitude Sport, 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio TI Sport, 2001 Audi TT 225 Roadster, 1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
Occupation
Jeep Sales
Wrangler.jpg
Just picked up my 2020 Turbo Altitude Sport with newly installed 20s and 33s and absolutely love it!

Markim37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I'm in my 5th Wrangler and second factory order -- a 2020 Unlimited, SkyTop. I would have thought it would take forever. TEN DAYS! I ordered on 9/16 and was driving from the dealer on 9/26. Even the dealer was shocked at the turn-around.We think it was already in queue at Toledo and they tagged it as a SOLD. I love it!
My order sheet from the dealer is tagged sold. I thought all ordered Wranglers were tagged that way. Does it make a difference during the build?

Weeb

First Name
Samantha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUS Bikini, BDS 2", Fox dual stabs, 35s', 4.88
This is how I felt before I dropped the air pressure. I couldn't take my eyes off the road at highway speeds because it was so twitchy. Mine is a 2 door, which are more sensitive anyway, but it is fine now with a lower pressure. Try 29-30 psi and if that doesn't help your specific car may have a steering adjustment issue. If this continues you should definitely take it to the dealer. Don't compromise, it's not the nature of the Wranglers.

p.s. just read your last posting and my JLR has only 730 miles - I guess I should try going back to the factory recommended pressure in a couple hundred miles...
Agreed. If you are staying stock for any significant amount of time get this all tracked in FCA's dealer system. We rolled the dice on our 2020 and luckily, new tires/wheels (aired down to 27 cold), lift, and steering stabilizers solved most, but not all of our wandering. Eventually we will do a track bar and lower/upper arms - and I think that should do it. Hopefully if it ends up being the steering box and is recalled, they won't be able to give us heat about the lift. :)

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Just FYI, My 2020 2 door Rubicon is really nice, but if you think they have solved the problems,guess again. I finally took mine to the dealer and said put it on the alignment rack and give me a print out of the before and after specs. The first try at dealer was totally unacceptable. ie; they all drive that way etc.you have all heard the story before. The supervisor came back with the copies and said; you were right alignment was way off from the factory. Did an alignment and now is straight down the road with just a few small adjustments to the steering. A 1000 percent improvement,also lowered the tire pressure to 34 from 42 as it was shipped. Still addressing the no altitude or gps lat/long. Looks like a software rewrite coming around 15 November, to be done over the air. On start up, got a shot of hot air from the air conditioning system. for about 60 sec. Then on a 40 mile pleasure drive got another shot of hot air for a few minutes. I'm wondering if it's the automatic temp control system balancing to maintain the set temp. Any one got an idea? addressed this with dealer,got it on paper. I was told that the prior issues on the 2018,19 would not pertain to the 2020. That is a bunch of crap. It is still a great vehicle, FIAT has a problem. The steering could be fixed by going back to the full hydraulic system. By the way there were no fault codes detected.
Sponsored