Sponsored

How long to wait to order to avoid first year blues?

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I had a 08 JK (bought as a leftover going into 09, making it about 1-2 years into the new generation). It had no shock bushings installed from the factory, needed a new steering column, 2 transfer cases, a drive shaft, a steering stabilizer, a throw out bearing at 45k, and the top leaked so bad off the lot I had to pull carpet out of it anytime it was above freezing out.

I also had a 15 challenger (first year of the refresh). It had no refrigerant in it from the factory, none of the steering wheel controls worked, lots of uconnect issues, and a driveshaft that would clunk at every stop.

Now.....I'm 5000mi into this early production (received mid January) first model year of an all new Wrangler.......not one issue. Everything is working as it should. No noises, no leaks, no glitches.

While buying a new model is a gamble, the JL seems to be done right from my experience. Even if you wait a year or two, there could still be issues. The JK wasn't touched by engineers until after its second year, and then refreshed not too long after that. I used to work at a Cessna dealer, the 172 has been on sale and (for the most part) unchanged in SIXTY YEARS, and new ones still had issues enough to the point we had a term for it. "Infant mortality".

It's just a fact of buying anything as complex as a car new. This is why warranties exist.
Sponsored

Sloxkhart98

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangjer JL Rubicon
I’ve had no issues with mine. Bought it Feb 2. Well, that’s not 100% true, there is actually one major issue, I can’t stop buying things for it. :)

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Just get one now who could wait that long
I believe that I can. I’m not a 6 year old that needs instant gratification. I don’t have any issue with the folks who want to be first in line to get their shiny new toy. But I just don’t have the desire to be that guy. Anything wrong with that? I’m pretty sure that they’ll keep on making them so it’s not like they’re going to run out of Jeeps before I get mine. :)

As far as all the stories of people who have defect free Jeeps, or the stories of later production cycle purchases that are full of defects, that doesn’t sway me one way or the other. Jeep seems to have plenty of issues to go around. I now realize from reading experiences of others that the build quality snafus aren’t something that’ll go away. So maybe I’ll get lucky and get one built like it should be or maybe I’ll get one that’s a nightmare. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. The chances are better that it’ll be OK than that it’ll be a piece of junk. I guess.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I tried to dig up the odometer thread. I'm curious if anyone has pulled 10,000 miles yet.

In my mind, I've somehow convinced myself that a 6-7 months into production build will be better than a "first month" build. Who knows!

Sponsored

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
I still maintain that all the issues people had with getting deliveries on time was FCA catching loads of hosed up vehicles, and fixing them instead of just shipping as is. By this point, we can say that, while there's always a chance for a lemon, you're more likely late enough into the production run that errors have been caught and fixed.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I still maintain that all the issues people had with getting deliveries on time was FCA catching loads of hosed up vehicles, and fixing them instead of just shipping as is. By this point, we can say that, while there's always a chance for a lemon, you're more likely late enough into the production run that errors have been caught and fixed.
That's what I'm hoping for. Many early builds here had bad rusting frames and welds. One of the first 2 door owners took pictures of his frame and it was immaculate/perfect. Hopefully the same happens for the steering issues.

Being a 2 door shopper, I had no chance of a first few months JL build!

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door
You only have to wait 1 year to avoid first year blues, after that they are called "Second Year Blues" ;)

jamotn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT500,'15 Mustang GT, '14 Juke.'12 HD,'18 Indian Scout
Every new vehicle has warranty, but I prefer to avoid the hassle of dealer service. After hearing about the wind noise and seeing flashing displays, I canceled my Sahara order and decided to wait and see what changes will be implemented for MY2019. Also quietly hoping for some power seats on this $50k+ vehicle.
A friend of mine took a 4 door JL,hardtop, for a ride a couple days ago and the thing was whistling away. The sales person said"thats the way they all are." My friend said he could see daylight through the upper driver door when closed. I am waiting for 2019.

Sponsored

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
I got mine at the end of January and, knock on wood, no issues yet! VERY happy I did because no chance I could have waited, I LOVE it!

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
Had mine for over 2 weeks... about 500 miles. I have 4 other vehicles, but this one makes me smile like no other. It's weird. AND I have no desire to go fast. Even more weird.

No issues to date...

NOMAD-0311

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scat Pack Challenger
I’m waiting for next year for a few reasons: I want to see the truck just to be sure, I want to see the Diesel engine info, and I do t want to go through the hassle of buying a new car again while we are stationed in Puerto Rico. But, just before we come back next year, I will be placing my order to, hopefully, be ready when we get back stateside
Sponsored