Sponsored

How long to wait to order to avoid first year blues?

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
All these dead JL horror stories are terrifying me!
Sponsored

JayO

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2021 JL Sport S, 2015 RR Sport
How long to wait to order to avoid first year blues?

I suppose until the second year. ;)

JayO

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2021 JL Sport S, 2015 RR Sport
I ordered mine at the end of February then kept seeing posts about excessive wind noise, this issue, that issue, etc... I started to get nervous thinking what a pain it's going to be to sort all these things out. Then I took delivery last week, and forgot all about that stuff. No issues out of the gate, and I couldn't be happier with the purchase.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I was going to wait until August or early September anyway so it only makes sense for me to wait a few more weeks until the 2019 year model production starts. Given current production delays I don't expect to be in a Wrangler until the first of next year. But hopefully a lot more of the issues, both minor and major, will have been worked out before '19 production starts.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was manufactured in Mid December 2017, very early in the production. I haven't had any issues with mine except for trying to get the electrical connector to the hard top disconnected smoothly, but that was probably from the lack of my experience with jeeps more than anything. While there is a risk of a Lemon, you're probably just as likely to get a lemon JK as you would a lemon JL.

Four Flusher

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray, auto
I've read that you won't be able to order a '19 until late Oct, too long to wait, plus surely they'll be a price increase

Stale

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
The most unreliable car I've ever owned was a late fourth generation Camaro. Fourth gen ran from 1993-2002, car was a model year 2000. I had that car for over 100K miles, and it never ran for more than 5K miles without a failure (in hind site I don't know why I kept it that long, though it was fun while it was running). I have never seen a car burn through four catalytic converters in a four year period since. :surprised:

I currently have a 2013 Honda Civic SI (ninth gen ran from 2011-2015). Car came brand new with a problem where the engine grinds on cold starts, which turns out to be an unfix-able VTEC design flaw... This isn't even specific to the SI or a specific generation, google "vtec cold start grinding" to get an idea of how much of Honda's portfolio is affected by this. Honda simply has no real fix (new type-R changed the engine design to eliminate the flawed part, go figure) though they are quick to point out that their working on one (going on 5 years now for my car); Honda's handling of it has really pissed me off.

Thus, it's time for a change to something else. Now if only my JLRU would get here... :like:

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I got mine in March, it's under warranty and I'm getting the maxcare lifetime unlimited mileage warranty with a $100 deductible. I ain't sweating owning the first model year I'm glad I bought it.

Sponsored

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
I was going to wait until August or early September anyway so it only makes sense for me to wait a few more weeks until the 2019 year model production starts. Given current production delays I don't expect to be in a Wrangler until the first of next year. But hopefully a lot more of the issues, both minor and major, will have been worked out before '19 production starts.
There will undoubtedly be changes made from 18 to 19, but in the end it will have growing pains as well. There will be 2 new power trains, a new model JT- which could split the work force that use to work on the JL line. All kinds of things. At the end of the day if you are worried about reliability or "issues" do not by an FCA product. I ordered mine in January and I am picking up mine today. The price increased by $1250 on March 1st and Jeep is still selling these things in records amounts. The 2019 will surely have another price increase as Jeep figures out the sweet spot of milking their profit cash cow.

redhook98

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I got mine in January. No real issues other than a few UConnect items. The rest of the Jeep has been near perfect. 5k miles and counting.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
For all you guys with anecdotal stories of how trouble free (so far) your JLs have been, and how you have had or heard of issues with other vehicles late in a production cycle, thanks. I'm very glad that the majority of owners haven't had trouble. IMO that should be a basic expectation of any consumer on any new car, not an anomaly. I believe that I mentioned in my earlier post that my planned purchase date was August/early September, right? Why would I buy a 2018 if waiting another month or so gets me a 2019? What would I gain by buying the 2018 other than avoiding a possible, though not confirmed, price increase? What do I lose by waiting about 1 month for the 2019s? If the price increase is the only argument to jump on a late production 2018 JL that's not enough to sway me. Obviously I'd rather pay less than more, but any incremental year over year MSRP increase will not price the vehicle out of my ability to buy it. There will be a lot more aftermarket products available to choose from by the end of this year than there are now. I don't know what improvements or features will be added to the 2019 but I'm guessing I'd rather have them than not have them. Like off road pages! :cwl:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
For all you guys with anecdotal stories of how trouble free (so far) your JLs have been, and how you have had or heard of issues with other vehicles late in a production cycle, thanks. I'm very glad that the majority of owners haven't had trouble. IMO that should be a basic expectation of any consumer on any new car, not an anomaly. I believe that I mentioned in my earlier post that my planned purchase date was August/early September, right? Why would I buy a 2018 if waiting another month or so gets me a 2019? What would I gain by buying the 2018 other than avoiding a possible, though not confirmed, price increase? What do I lose by waiting about 1 month for the 2019s? If the price increase is the only argument to jump on a late production 2018 JL that's not enough to sway me. Obviously I'd rather pay less than more, but any incremental year over year MSRP increase will not price the vehicle out of my ability to buy it. There will be a lot more aftermarket products available to choose from by the end of this year than there are now. I don't know what improvements or features will be added to the 2019 but I'm guessing I'd rather have them than not have them. Like off road pages! :cwl:
lol, the aforementioned offroad pages, the bane of BillyHW's existance.

I'd also expect the different engines to at least be available by 2019 MY. You should get a Diesel Rubicon and show off your off road pages to everyone.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
lol, the aforementioned offroad pages, the bane of BillyHW's existance.

I'd also expect the different engines to at least be available by 2019 MY. You should get a Diesel Rubicon and show off your off road pages to everyone.
I don't want a diesel, but it might be worth it just for the jealousy factor of some of the impatient first year buyers!
SelfassuredBrightHalibut-max-1mb.gif
Sponsored