How long should I wait until I wash my new JL

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
How long should I wait until I wash my new jeep? It was a factory order so it's only been 7 days since it was painted then built. I am getting a lot of different length of time and how about waxing it seems I should do that after 30days.

IMG_20200209_180501.jpg
Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Today. That is just silly. The Jeeps don’t come off the line wet. The road grime your paint has on it from being on a transporter is far worse. Not to mention the dealer already probably sprayed it off. Go right ahead and give it a wash, wax, detail whatever you want.

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Go ahead. It got its first wash in Toledo before it left the factory.
Twenty plus years ago you did need to wait a few months to wax a brand new car. This is because the lacquer car paint needed time to cure properly before you washed and waxed it or you risked messing up the paint job. Newer paint and spraying advancements have made it so that your new Jeep arrives with that new coat of paint already cured in the factory. So if you bought a brand new Jeep today, you can wash and wax it as soon as you want. In fact, it’s encouraged that you wax your new car as soon as possible to start protecting it from the elements right away.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Car makers haven't used air drying solvent lacquer or enamels in many decades. I think the last time I recall a lacquer painted car was a mid 1960s car. Acrylic enamels (solvent based) came around about then. Around 15-20 years ago about every manufacturer switched to water based acrylic polyurethane paint, because of laws prohibiting putting tons of solvents into the air. They are catalyzed paints and are full cure by the time you sit in the driver seat or long before. Wash it, wax it, whatever.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I just clay bared mine too and man it took off a lot of contaminants. The clay was filthy when I was done.

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
If you spend the time claying your paint you should definitely spend time polishing it after as well to remove any micro marring. Then after for protection of the paint it is whatever you prefer like a wax, sealant or a paint coating.

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
If your dealer "prep'd" it before you picked it up, your paint is already damaged. They put all sorts of swirls in it that you will be able to see in the direct sun or under a bright light. It happens to every single new delivery unless you tell them to deliver it off the transport truck...which basically never happens.

Good news is that this can easily be corrected by you or have someone do it.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
I've washed my JLUR twice in almost two years, once for road salt, the other for sewer effluent that ran across the road. I'll admit mine is not a daily driver.

My son reports that he has washed his daily driver, 2-year old 2018 JLUR never. Of course he lives in NC, where they rarely use salt.

"It's a Jeep."

Sponsored

Gibbage

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue Sport S
Occupation
3D Artist
Lol....so your not supposed to take care of the paint because "its a Jeep"?
As they say, "to each their own". Personally, I love the way my Ocean Blue looks, and wash it almost every week. Right now with the trees dumping pollen on my Jeep its driving me insane! Dont get me wrong, jeeps gonna get dirty, but thats not excuse to having it look nice ;) I ceramic coated my Jeep so its super easy to wash off dirt or even tree sap that falls on it.

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
Owned my 2020 Rubi 2 weeks... detailed it each week. Intend to wash my vehicles every two weeks and put a thin coat of synthetic sealer on it. If you start early and keep diligent, your paint will look like new for years. I have the bikini pearl as well.
Sponsored