Sponsored

How long does Jeep need to be stopped for ESS to be useful?

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I know cranking the engine requires a bit more gas than an idling engine, so if I were to stop for only a second or two and the ESS kicks in, wouldn't that be a net fuel efficiency loss?

How long will I need to be stopped for the ESS' fuel saving to kick in?
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I know cranking the engine requires a bit more gas than an idling engine, so if I were to stop for only a second or two and the ESS kicks in, wouldn't that be a net fuel efficiency loss?

Running a warm start on a modern fuel injected engine doesn't use as much fuel as they used to. If your vehicle is stopped for longer than a few seconds it will benefit you a little bit, but not to the point that you will notice. I think your real payoff in fuel savings is at long stop lights where your engine would normally be idling for 4 or 5 minutes (depending on where you live) without moving the vehicle.

At a stop sign, I use light brake pressure to avoid the auto shutoff as I know I'm just going to move forward in two seconds and that's when the auto start/stop can get annoying. It takes a little bit of experimenting to know where the brake pressure needs to be but you can really use ESS to your advantage when the situation calls for it.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
How does the ESS work on an auto tranny? I just have to keep my clutch depressed and it won't kick in. Guessing autos need to have brakes depressed for it to kick in?
Yes for the automatic transmission for ESS to work it needs to be in Drive and at a full stop with moderate/heavy brake pressure.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
It's fun to see how far you can roll up to stopped traffic with the engine off, or time it just right so you never fully stop before the light changes.

No idea how much fuel I'm saving, or not saving.

Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Will come on in about a second. I hate it and disable it immediately after starting.

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
Ess is useless

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017

Most systems should show how much fuel you've saved. ESS is good in long stops... turn it on only when you think it's good to stop the engine and it'll stop if the vehicle is up for it. When moving again, turn it back off.

It's nightmarish on vehicles that don't allow the disabling of start/stop. If you have to hit the brakes hard and pull off immediately you're in trouble.
Sponsored