Sponsored

How long does it take to actually build the Jeep JL on the assembly line?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
What about the time from order to delivery?
6 to 8 weeks if all is normal. Don't expect that. If it is like the JK, it will get backlogged a bit in the first year. I'm going on week 10 and am starting to see movement. I am hoping to see it in days, but I have a feeling it will be a couple of weeks at the soonest, and maybe even close to February. Production is gaining speed but demand is ramping up now, too. LOTS of orders coming in. There are over 200 members of just this forum that have orders in place. I'd say you are looking at 2 months.
Sponsored

Hip2u77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine: '14 JKUR, Hers: '18 JLUR
Line speed as of 2-6-18 is 34 an hour. I talked to a lady that works at the plant.

I spent 7 years at the KC Ford Assembly Plant. It's been 15+ years since I worked there, but when I was there line speed was 58-62 an hour and it took about 8-10 hours to build a Contour from start to finish. That is, if you started a stopwatch when the bare sides of the car were being moved into the frame robots to be welded up, roughly 8-10 hours later it would drive off the end of the line. I would assume it takes longer than that based on the slower line speed.

We had storage / overflow areas on the line. Some would hold 100 cars, some would hold 20 cars, depending on the area. The process was body shop (framing), paint, trim, chassis, final, inspection and out the door. If any of the lines stopped the storage areas would allow the rest to keep moving. I.E. If chassis had a problem and stopped the line, trim could keep working until the storage area was filled and then the line would shut down. I worked in trim and it was common, in the beginning, to have 15 minute breaks while waiting for a car to come from paint, or we would fill up the storage area get to go home a half-hour before chassis. They would have to stay and drain the storage area.

I have no idea how the Toledo plant is ran compared to what I did but regardless, we know if there's no problems roughly every 2 minutes somebody's JL is driving off the assembly line! With a few problems that goes way up!

Hip2u77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine: '14 JKUR, Hers: '18 JLUR
Not a torque wrench or micrometer to be seen. Impact wrench on connecting rods. :clap: Like hot dogs, I knew better than to watch them be made. ;)
When I worked at a Ford plant 15 years ago every air tool used on the assembly line was preset to a certain torque. The only one that had power tools that were wide open were the upgraders - the guys that fix mistakes. I mean everything. The guns tightening tail lights, seat belts, consoles, ground screws, all of them.

Couple places that supply plants.

https://www.atlascopco.com/en-us/itba/industry-solutions/automotive

http://www.apexpowertools.com/industries/motor-vehicle

Sponsored

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Jeep Wrangler JL How long does it take to actually build the Jeep JL on the assembly line? {filename}

6 to 8 weeks if all is normal. Don't expect that. If it is like the JK, it will get backlogged a bit in the first year. I'm going on week 10 and am starting to see movement. I am hoping to see it in days, but I have a feeling it will be a couple of weeks at the soonest, and maybe even close to February. Production is gaining speed but demand is ramping up now, too. LOTS of orders coming in. There are over 200 members of just this forum that have orders in place. I'd say you are looking at 2 months.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would bet money that those impact wrenches are torqued to a specific spec.
They are, and they are recalibrated multiple times a day.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Right now, things are looking better than they did when the JK first rolled out. Some have gotten their Jeeps VERY quickly. They made a darned smart move keeping the JK line going. My JK was ordered in late January or early February of 07 and arrived in September of 07 as an 08 model. It took 8 months! The manual transmission at that time was under high demand and short supply, but all JK's were taking at least two months at that point.

2JEEPSNOWAITING

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Rubicon; 2018 JL Rubicon on order
Ordered my Punk'n ---that's right -- Punk'n Rubicon JLU on 1/31. Is on the production floor now. Am being told I have a ship date of 2/24. Expect delivery around 2/28.

Now...that's pretty good...would be even better if Jeep would bring back their Vehicle Order Tracking System ("VOTS") so that I could get this info through the web rather than calling for status updates.

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
Not a torque wrench or micrometer to be seen. Impact wrench on connecting rods. :clap: Like hot dogs, I knew better than to watch them be made. ;)
What's the old saying. Everybody loves sausage but you don't want to see how its made :)

Sponsored

TJ01

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler JLUR
I ordered mine 2/22/18. Was told i get an email about the order process, and haven't got anything yet. Called the dealer they said the status was the same as the day it was ordered. Hoping to get mine as soon as others. I did get a manual and look forward to seeing if its better then the JK i had years back. I know people like there auto's i just feel a manual belongs in a jeep like they do in sports cars.

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
Chrysler uses 10 hr shifts, 2 per day, 6 days a week, spread over three crews. (Each crew works 40 hrs/wk.)

Productivity is measured in labor hours per vehicle, and 24 is in the ballpark.

The plant can still crank out a Jeep a minute at 24 man-hours per vehicle if there are enough people involved in production.

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
Time from order to delivery is always dependent on whether order volume currently exceeds production capacity. That is clearly the case right now. Even if the plant is humming at full capacity, dealers around the country are trying to stock up on a hit. By June we should be seeing order to plant release down to about two weeks, then another week or two for distribution. By then, though, inventory numbers should be large enough that what you want is already on a lot somewhere nearby.
Sponsored