Sponsored

How long does it take for an oil change at the Jeep dealer?

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
depends on the dealership, the one I use has a express no appointment required oil change and rotation, usually about 45 minutes, and so far with 37k miles they did it correctly each time...
Sponsored

Hitdog540

First Name
Howie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2015BMW 550xi
Occupation
Retired
If you don't tell them you're waiting when you make the appointment, they fit it in after the waiters. I've never spent more than an hour at the dealer for an oil change.

The_Paper_Cut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport 2-Door
@The_Paper_Cut

How do you figure under a hundred is a good deal..... :facepalm:

You can do your own oil and oil filter change in less then 15 min and it will cost you about $25.00 (sometimes less) and that's using an OEM filter and Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic.
Because I’ve never done an oil change before, so it would definitely take me longer than 15 minutes myself. Plus I’d have to pay $10 to use a local oil change stall, and also buy all the materials and oil I need which the oil itself is ~$20, the filter ~$10, and the materials would be a bit more. So I figured it’s easier to pay an extra $20 to have it done professionally in 15 minutes and not worry about anything than do it myself. But I’m sure others would profit off doing it themselves

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Haven't done mine yet, but since the oil can be changed without lifting the Jeep, I figure 15 minutes to do it myself. Another half hour to rotate the tires (I have 2 floor jacks, a compressor and an air gun). Maybe an hour total with cleanup. And I know it was done right, the correct amount of oil added, etc. Been changing my own oil for 40 years now, so until I'm too old and decrepit to do it myself I'll keep doing it.

The one time I let a dealer give me a free oil change, they backed my brand-new Mustang GT into a pole.

I will probably never use the 3 freebies from the Jeep Wave.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Haven't done mine yet, but since the oil can be changed without lifting the Jeep, I figure 15 minutes to do it myself. Another half hour to rotate the tires (I have 2 floor jacks, a compressor and an air gun). Maybe an hour total with cleanup. And I know it was done right, the correct amount of oil added, etc. Been changing my own oil for 40 years now, so until I'm too old and decrepit to do it myself I'll keep doing it.

The one time I let a dealer give me a free oil change, they backed my brand-new Mustang GT into a pole.

I will probably never use the 3 freebies from the Jeep Wave.
@Chupacabra

As you, I do my own oil changes.

I too have 2 floor jacks and yes,I do my own tire rotations too.

Have to say though, since I turned 71 last Spring, the time it takes for me to do the rotation is 45 mins. now, versus the 30 min. time it took me for the 56 years of doing my own tire rotations before that.

When it takes me 2 hrs. to do the rotation, I will probably just skip rotations.. :CWL:

Jeep Wrangler JL How long does it take for an oil change at the Jeep dealer? qr-code

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Changing oil on a Wrangler JL (or differential oil, for that matter) could not be simpler. No lift/jack/jack stands are required! It's the easiest vehicle to do simple maintenance of any I have ver owned. A Fumoto valve makes oil changes simple (and clean, if you use the optional hose to drain right into a 5qt container) - even an apartment dweller can do it in his/her parking lot with no mess.

You only need one floor jack if you do a 5 tire rotation like I do. There's no telling what tires I might want to buy when my stock KO2's are done (Cooper STT Pro look pretty nice), and a 5 tire rotation will prolong that pain-in-my-wallet by 20%.

Just throwing this out there for guys reading this thread who have not done their own maintenance, before. $100 for an oil change is crazy 🤪 Hell, if a guy near me lacked the tools or know how, I'd gladly invite him to my house to help/teach...

I keep what follows as a note on my iPhone, and always refer to it when it's maintenance time. Maybe it will help someone. I also keep a spare fuse array, spare fuses, spare engine oil cap, and driver/passenger seat return parts on hand "just in case" - cheap insurance (thanks to @Rhinebeck01 for identifying some of these part numbers). Note that I have a 2018 3.6, manual 2Dr Rubi with tow package. I don't know squat about Turbo, eTorque, or Diesel, so YMMV.

Oil:
5qt 0w20

Diff:
75w90 - front
75w140 - rear
* No additive needed for Rubi. I like Royal Purple because it comes in easy to use squirt bottles.

Oil Filter:
MOPAR MO-349 68191349AB/AC
Mobil 1: M1C-456A
68191350AA - Oil housing cap
Avoid Fram... just ask this guy.

Air Filter:
MOPAR 68257030AA

Cabin Filter:
MOPAR 68301863AA

Sockets:
22mm lugs
13mm drain plug (Better, yet: Fumoto F106SX)
24mm oil filter cap (Torque to only 18lbs! Tight is tight. Too tight is broken.)
8mm air filter

UConnect:
Pull F97 to reset
Hold driver's side temperature up, temperature down and front defrost buttons simultaneously to enter dealer mode (to see version numbers)

TSBs:
TSB 18-092-19: Needed so Jeep will crank on second try if AUX is dead. Don't say ESS becaue that TSB doesn't mention it. Say the A/C fan is too loud.

Main Battery:
Northstar 48 or Odyssey 94R (94R only confirmed to fit Rubicon with tow package)

Forum recommended tires:
Cooper STT Pro (these look badass with lettering out - good in snow)
BFG KO2 (stock)

Full Tazer Sleep Process:
For some reason Joe removed some of this from latest guide. The red security bit is useful!

Once done adjusting settings, turn the ignition off, then start the vehicle. It may start and stall with the red security dot lit. If this happens, wait 10 seconds and try again, it will resume operation when it has completed its re-learn procedure. Then two sleep cycles: Shut off the vehicle, open and close the driver door and wait for a minute to be sure the dash turns off. Then start it, wait for the radio to boot up, then shut it off and open/close door and wait again.​

Fuse Array:
68368854AA - 100 Amp (tow package)
68368853AA - 60 Amp (no tow package)

Fix seat if it won't recline:
68485522AA Insert-Seat Position Return
68485519AA Insert-Seat Position Return

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ld-and-lock-into-position-june-20-2019.34614/

Jeep Wrangler JL How long does it take for an oil change at the Jeep dealer? 1615852012779

Jeep Wrangler JL How long does it take for an oil change at the Jeep dealer? 1615852012861

Jeep Wrangler JL How long does it take for an oil change at the Jeep dealer? 1615852012938

Jeep Wrangler JL How long does it take for an oil change at the Jeep dealer? 1615852013028

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@OldGuyNewJeep

For the diff fluid change...

Consider using Valvoline FlexFill pouches... instead of the Royal Purple squirt bottles... Once you try / use the Flexfill pouches you will never want to use a squirt bottle or gear oil pump..

Actually, you can buy a Flexfill pouch and save the empty pouch.. Nest time but Royal Purple if you want and squirt that into the empty FlexFill you saved.. The FlexFill spout unscrews off and on easily.

For a JL with tow package....
Buy a case of this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KB5LTJM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (4 containers in the case) and also 2 bottles of this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HQGCVG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These 2 orders, will give me what I need to do the 2 differentials twice. I save LOTS, going this route. In the end, it costs me about $55.00 total, to do the fluid change on both differentials.

You do your rear differential first and you will have left over 75W140.

Now, you do your front differential with the 1 bottle of 75w90 and also use what you need of the left over 75W140 to fill / top off the front differential.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
@OldGuyNewJeep

Consider using Valvoline FlexFill pouches... instead of the Royal Purple squirt bottles... Once you try / use the Flexfill pouches you will never want to use a squirt bottle or gear oil pump..

Actually, you can buy a Flexfill pouch and save the empty pouch.. Nest time but Royal Purple if you want and squirt that into the empty FlexFill you saved..
The FlexFill spout unscrews off and on easily.

For a JL with tow package....
Buy a case of this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KB5LTJM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (4 containers in the case) and also 2 bottles of this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HQGCVG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These 2 orders, will give me what I need to do the 2 differentials twice. I save LOTS, going this route. In the end, it costs me about $55.00 total, to do the fluid change on both differentials.

You do your rear differential first and you will have left over 75W140.

Now, you do your front differential with the 1 bottle of 75w90 and also use what you need of the left over 75W140 to fill / top off the front differential.
Added to my note! Thanks!

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Service at my dealership is so slow that if they were trying to convince me to not use them anymore, then they succeeded. Almost never done in under an hour. Longest wait was just shy of 2 hours.

Poor service quality too. Stripped out the head of the drain plug once. Then later my Jeep almost caught on fire one time after they spilled oil all over the engine and exhaust. Created a smoke cloud so big that when I drove back into the service lane people were scattering.

I can change the oil in my wife's dodge caravan and my Wrangler simultaneously and be done with both in about 15 minutes. It's so ridiculously easy unless you just don't have the right tools.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
@The_Paper_Cut

How do you figure under a hundred is a good deal..... :facepalm:

You can do your own oil and oil filter change in less then 15 min and it will cost you about $25.00 (sometimes less) and that's using an OEM filter and Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic.
where are you getting 5 qts of PP that cheap?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
đź‘Ť

I been using those lately and they are a lot easier and less messy than the pump I used to use that fit on the quart bottles (gear oil is thick.)
Yup .... FlexFill pouches are great!

As for the plastic hand pump... I still use one of those attached to a plastic, Liter, Snapple bottle filled with ATF+4 to get the fluid into the transfer case.. Can get a little messy....

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@roaniecowpony

Last few oil changes on my JL and JK cost me less then $20 each.

How - Watching for rebates and then buying up a bunch of 5 qt jugs and oil filters and stashing them in the garage for future use..

Bought geeeez, I think 10 bottles of Pennzoil a year or so ago. Was $2.00 off a 5 qt bottle of Pennzoil. So, $10.00 off a 5 qt. bottle of Penzoil Platinum that was on sale at Amazon for $17 at the time. Used different family names / addresses to bill to, but ship to address was one place.

Then, I think it was last year, I found a rebate that was buy 5 qt container of Penzoil and get a $22.00 rebate. YES, friggin $22.00 rebate from manufacturer. I bought 2, 5 qt. containers and got $22.00 x 2 (two $22 checks) using my name and gal pals name.

Then again last year, I think it was, @DanW, that he paid $10 for for Rotella Gas Truck yup, $10 a 5 qt. jug ....it was on clearance, $10 rebate, and $10 Autozone rewards. I went right out to Autozone and geeeez, I think I bought at least 6, 5 gal. bottles... they are in shelf in my garage..

Anyway, look around, discounts are out there. Buy when rebates are avail. and then put oil on shelf in garage... it does not go bad.. I must have 8 or more, 5qt. containers out there now...

Also got Mobil 1 oil filters for way less then $4.00, each at Walmart. Yup, less then $4 each. I bought a whole bunch of those.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
I did all 4 free Jeep wave oil changes plus 3 tire rotations on my 2018 JLU without issue, all within an hour while waiting, all with the required 5qts. Now after changing my own differential and T-case oil, I look forward to changing my own motor oil and doing my own tire rotations. Love this vehicle and doing my own maintenance!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Some times the oil change takes longer because you check and see that they put 6 quarts of oil in the Jeep and they have to pull it back in to correct it. Or another time, they argue with you that it takes 6 quarts and you have to show them in the owners manual that it takes 5 quarts.
Sponsored