Sponsored

Jeepster_Aus

First Name
Renier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I guess it depends on many things, but in general they appear to last as long as they do and not a moment longer.

:headbang: :LOL:

BLS65

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
, 2000 TJ, 77 CJ7, 2024 JLU Willys
Occupation
Business Development Manager.
I have a 2020 Sport and was wondering how long these vehicles generally last? I've put about 15,000 miles on it so far (I've done 3 long road trips so far). I'm being sent to Chicago for 4 weeks and was considering driving from San Diego (2,000 miles) there and then back (4,000 total miles) so that I'd be able to get around easier for those 4 weeks, but I was afraid of putting too many miles on the Jeep. I know people say Jeeps, especially Wranglers are super reliable and hold well longer than other vehicles. But does anyone have a ballpark of how many miles to expect to get out of their Wrangler? I do my best to keep it maintained well and change the fluids at the designated times/intervals. This is my first vehicle other than a 1998 Civic that I'd bought used in high school that had 150k on it but was in pretty bad shape. Thanks in advance!
The answer to your question will be determined by how you answer this...
How will you treat your Jeep in regard to maintenance?​

Sponsored

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
Body on frame vehicles can be run indefinitely if you are wiling to maintain and restore them. Even severe corrosion issues can be repaired by a shade tree, unlike unibody vehicles.

Obsolescence of electronics, and over complicated emissions driven drivetrain design choices are the two biggest risks to vehicles built after say 2010.

Jeeps have the largest aftermarket of any vehicle, so something like YJ or TJ can literally live forever. The JL will probably die due to electronics end of life on the 3.6, and engine problems on the other drivetrain options. It is TBD if the JK will be cherished enough to restored like the the YJ and TJ have been.

Last edited:

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
apparently some last 83 years, since 1941...

some last until the driver goes through hood deep water then wonders why it blew up...

I love how folks praise the old 4.0. I personally remember that being the engine of hate, and the fix was to swap in a SBC. Now, it's the bees knees. I expect the 3.6 will be that way into the next century, seeing as all you kids want electric cars and jeeps.

autotragic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR 6MT
What does that tell you about the new stuff when the 4.0 is looked back upon as a paragon of reliability?
The engine that was universally hated was always the four-cylinder but the 4 liter wasn't exactly loved either. It was just so much better than the four banger that people really had no other choice but to accept it. Now people talk about how great they were but I remember when TJ's were new and everybody complained about the lack of power and reliability.

It's not that the 4.0 was great it's just that everything else was even worse. People still get all teary-eyed when they talk about the torque of the 4.0 but nobody cared about the 190 horsepower. In fact it was pretty lackluster then and today it would be absolutely unbearable. I mean can you imagine a JL with only 190 horsepower yeah I don't think so.

Reactions: 3TV

Sponsored

evo8904

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram/ Wrangler soon
It really depends on many factors. A big factor is the owner. Seems like many of the new owners now don’t know how to turn a wrench. Without proper maintenance, no vehicle will last. These mechanically challenged owners believe everything dealers tell them lol

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
What does that tell you about the new stuff when the 4.0 is looked back upon as a paragon of reliability?
The 4.0 was generally a great engine. For its day, it had great torque and was generally reliable and could last a long, long time with minimal care. BUT....the way people swoon over it is interesting....if considering it for its day, it was praise worthy and earned its rep.

However, when I see people say they they would love to have it in their JL, especially the 4 door, I have to chuckle a bit. That engine would be waaay overmatched by today's heavy Jeep, especially the 4 door. The XJ, for example, weighed a whopping 600lbs less than a JLU. The YJ was 800lbs lighter! What they really should be saying, if they want to have real fun, is "Let's put a Pentastar in a YJ!" Now THAT would be something! It would probably get close to 25mpg, or more, too. It would fling that little Jeep around like a pit bull with a rag doll.

Oh, and the 4.0 had serious head issues in some model years and if it wasn't leaking oil, it was empty. And this will get flames, but it is absolutely true. The Pentastar is light years ahead of the 4.0 on reliability. It is among the best in the industry and is hands down champ for lowest warranty claim cost for a modern high volume V6. That's why it is not going away anytime soon even though they have tried to replace it. It simply puts more money in the pockets of Stellantis, and it keeps it there.

Your best shot at 500,000 miles today with a production engine is the Pentastar. Two of the reasons for this....Not direct injected, and not turbocharged. Oh, and keep the ESS turned off. It will then live long and prosper you.

I loved the 4.0 (Actually, I loved the 2.5 even more). But it is outclassed in every way by the Pentastar.

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
But that shows the false remembering of facts. The 3.6 with an 8 speed outdoes anything the 4.0 did. Some will argue torque, when torque on both is the same. Given an 8 speed versus 4, and no comparison on capability. That and anything with a 4.0 probably is a rusted heep. Not saying 20 years from now most JL won’t also be rusted out.
Sponsored