Sponsored

How long do Jeeps usually last?

The_Paper_Cut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport 2-Door
I have a 2020 Sport and was wondering how long these vehicles generally last? I've put about 15,000 miles on it so far (I've done 3 long road trips so far). I'm being sent to Chicago for 4 weeks and was considering driving from San Diego (2,000 miles) there and then back (4,000 total miles) so that I'd be able to get around easier for those 4 weeks, but I was afraid of putting too many miles on the Jeep. I know people say Jeeps, especially Wranglers are super reliable and hold well longer than other vehicles. But does anyone have a ballpark of how many miles to expect to get out of their Wrangler? I do my best to keep it maintained well and change the fluids at the designated times/intervals. This is my first vehicle other than a 1998 Civic that I'd bought used in high school that had 150k on it but was in pretty bad shape. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
people say jeeps are reliable? I think they say the opposite lol.

nobody knows how long these will "last" it is a new model. If you have the v6 pentastar and take good care of the tranny and engine and keep fixing suspension stuff and items that wear Id say pulling 200k miles on it wont be hard. if you have any other engine might be the same idk.

I think these wranglers are built very well in general and they have solid engines and transmissions.

i am probably going to put a bit over 100k miles on mine before selling.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
people say jeeps are reliable? I think they say the opposite lol.

nobody knows how long these will "last" it is a new model. If you have the v6 pentastar and take good care of the tranny and engine and keep fixing suspension stuff and items that wear Id say pulling 200k miles on it wont be hard. if you have any other engine might be the same idk.

I think these wranglers are built very well in general and they have solid engines and transmissions.

i am probably going to put a bit over 100k miles on mine before selling.
I only hear they’re unreliable on the internet. Out of the dozens of Wrangler owners I’ve personally met in real life, not one ever had a serious issue worth talking about. The perception of Jeeps online and in my real life are a total 180 from each other.

OP, even the worse vehicles nowadays will last 200,000 miles no problem. I wouldn’t worry about it. Anything past that is arbitrary and depends on owner.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
When it comes to Jeep Wranglers, it all boils down to 3 main factors...

-How it's treated by its owner, as far as driving habits and general use.

-How well it's maintained and cared for.

-The quality level of parts and their installation, when things are modified and upgraded.

I've personally seen lower quality vehicles last deep into 6 figures, and high quality ones blowing clouds of smoke that smelled of oil and head bolt with far less than 100k on their odometer. I firmly believe that the quality of the operator has more affect on longevity than that of the piece of equipment.

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gecko JLU Freedom, 2020 Punk'n JL Sport S
Occupation
John - US Army Ret/DA Civilian / Holly - Boss of husband
As long as you will work on it, just like any other vehicle.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
With the huge aftermarket if you take really good care of it and replace parts as they break you technically can make it last a lifetime.

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

I had 285k miles on a 1993 4.0L YJ. Most modern vehicles should last 200k miles if properly maintained.
Those straight 6s seemed like great engines. I see YJ and is it XJ? Has the X on the finder around all the time. Some are still just stock with the old steel wheels. Still expensive also comparably.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
Those straight 6s seemed like great engines. I see YJ and is it XJ? Has the X on the finder around all the time. Some are still just stock with the old steel wheels. Still expensive also comparably.
The XJ had the 4.0 inline 6. Great engine.

Beetroot

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Medical Devices
As others have said...really it should last for decades if you stay on top of the maintenance. 200k miles easy.

As for Jeep reliability - I was the 11th owner of my last 97 TJ. It was abused before I got it, and I wheeled the crap out of it. Submerged in water, rolled, etc. Still ran great when I sold it to the 12th owner. I can't personally speak to the longevity of any Jeep motor other than the 4.0 but I've owned a bunch of those and they were just incredible.

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
When it comes to Jeep Wranglers, it all boils down to 3 main factors...

-How it's treated by its owner, as far as driving habits and general use.

-How well it's maintained and cared for.

-The quality level of parts and their installation, when things are modified and upgraded.

I've personally seen lower quality vehicles last deep into 6 figures, and high quality ones blowing clouds of smoke that smelled of oil and head bolt with far less than 100k on their odometer. I firmly believe that the quality of the operator has more affect on longevity than that of the piece of equipment.
Agree with this, my JKU was basically one of the early builds (October 2006), and it has been absolutely rock solid. I've only done the basic maintenance - oil changes every 4500 or so, brakes/transmission fluid and filter around 120k, radiator around 150k, death wobble at 10k or so covered by warranty. I wheeled it a decent bit when I first got it, but now it's on-road and sand, and by sand, it's covered in sand all of the time, it's been washed out hundreds of times, rained on, gone through floods, etc. and everything still works pretty well.

It has multiple check engine issues (catalytic converter, gascap, (probably from the cat), etc.), it leaks oil and coolant, but it's running and has been rock solid. All of these things are fixable more or less, so......long story short, it's at roughly 182k miles, and I have used it like a Jeep. I could fix all of these things, but I have an itch for a new vehicle, it was between the Bronco and the JL. The Bronco was the new shiny thing, then I thought about how rock solid the JKU has been day in, day out, and.........my order is going in for a JL.

So........long story short, I have no issues with the long-term dependability with Jeep (at least the Wrangler). I also had a XJ as my first vehicle, 4.0 Straight 6, rock solid. I've been lucky went from the XJ to a '93 Toyota Pickup (22RE) to the '07 JKU, to possibly the '21 JLU Rubicon.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
the current JL shares little )other than name) with many of the older Jeeps mentioned. Far more complexity in modern Jeeps will make them more problematic as they age. I will dump mine before it hits 75,000 miles…. It might last 400,000 miles; I’ll never know.
Sponsored