How is your clutch holding up to larger more aggressive tires

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited
I've read a few post on some of the social media JL pages where some of the 6-speeds have exploded. Mine seems fine but I am getting ready to go to a a slightly (255/75) tire. I don't really think that would cause any issues but if my clutch gives me trouble in the future would the service department be able to say its because of the tires? I have the 3.45 axle gears which really are a little on the small side for larger tires.
Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I have been on 35's or 37's all but the first 1k miles and my clutch is doing fine. I do run 5.13 gears now and have been for nearly 2 years. Just get the recall done if you haven't.

Idk about your dealer but mine is going to change my master cylinder due to a very loud creak coming from underneath and you can even feel it in the pedal. Not much is stock on my jeep and they are doing it under warranty. Also, giving me the new steering box per the TSB. No charge but your dealer may be completely different. My dealer is about an hour or so drive from the Rubicon trail...so that helps! Lots of modded Jeeps around the area. Including the dealers owner.

OP
OP

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have been on 35's or 37's all but the first 1k miles and my clutch is doing fine. I do run 5.13 gears now and have been for nearly 2 years. Just get the recall done if you haven't.

Idk about your dealer but mine is going to change my master cylinder due to a very loud creak coming from underneath and you can even feel it in the pedal. Not much is stock on my jeep and they are doing it under warranty. Also, giving me the new steering box per the TSB. No charge but your dealer may be completely different. My dealer is about an hour or so drive from the Rubicon trail...so that helps! Lots of modded Jeeps around the area. Including the dealers owner.
I drive almost an hour to my dealership because I've heard horror stories about the one in town. I had them do the recall and I think mine just needed that hose cover.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
I have a set of 35's on mine for 27k miles no issues with the clutch, the issues that people were having with the clutch seem to have been resolved with the recall. I think part of the problem the recall was fixing was that some clutches left the factory improperly bled which lead to to faster wear on the clutches causing them to blow up. So if you have the recall done you should be fine, the problem with many of the social media pages is they are filled with people who are cheering on the JL to fail because it is not the crap they drive, so they hear something about clutches exploding or the frame weld issues, they keep repeating what they first heard of the problem and dont acknowledge that those issues which are bad are solved

As for larger tires wearing out clutches faster, you should be ok, keep in mind that most of the added stress the tires put on are on the axle end of the drivetrain by the time the stress goes through the gearing of the diff, t-case, and transmission the is pretty much close to what stock sees, you might get a little more wear at starting from a dead stop feathering the clutch but really nothing to worry about.

OP
OP

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a set of 35's on mine for 27k miles no issues with the clutch, the issues that people were having with the clutch seem to have been resolved with the recall. I think part of the problem the recall was fixing was that some clutches left the factory improperly bled which lead to to faster wear on the clutches causing them to blow up. So if you have the recall done you should be fine, the problem with many of the social media pages is they are filled with people who are cheering on the JL to fail because it is not the crap they drive, so they hear something about clutches exploding or the frame weld issues, they keep repeating what they first heard of the problem and dont acknowledge that those issues which are bad are solved

As for larger tires wearing out clutches faster, you should be ok, keep in mind that most of the added stress the tires put on are on the axle end of the drivetrain by the time the stress goes through the gearing of the diff, t-case, and transmission the is pretty much close to what stock sees, you might get a little more wear at starting from a dead stop feathering the clutch but really nothing to worry about.

I really don't think it would be an issue since I'm not going much bigger. There was one story I read where the guy said he had about 20k miles and had the recall performed and it still exploded.

_nc_ohc=oKmOFrzGdD4AX_qcwQH&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=oNmb6g1-6C0AX8AzEVe&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I really don't think it would be an issue since I'm not going much bigger. There was one story I read where the guy said he had about 20k miles and had the recall performed and it still exploded.

Jeep Wrangler JL How is your clutch holding up to larger more aggressive tires _nc_ohc=oNmb6g1-6C0AX8AzEVe&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2

Jeep Wrangler JL How is your clutch holding up to larger more aggressive tires _nc_ohc=oNmb6g1-6C0AX8AzEVe&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2
I have talked with that guy a lot. That happened well before the recall.

OP
OP

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have talked with that guy a lot. That happened well before the recall.
There may have been a few. The guy I talked to said he let his friend drive it and this happened. He said he had the recall done prior to this happening but Jeep wouldn't cover it and wanted something like $11,000 to fix it.
Sponsored