Sponsored

How is the standard 7-inch radio/head unit?

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
If you have the 7-inch standard head unit/radio. How is it?
  • Is the sound quality any good?
  • Can you use Google Maps via CarPlay to display on 7-inch display?
  • Can you play music using Pandora/Spotify/etc from phone via CarPlay?
  • Can you tell tire pressure via 7-inch screen?
  • Can you control climate in car?
  • Is the instrument display in front of the steering wheel the same regardless if you have the 7-inch or 8.4-inch display?
Why I ask? I'm trying to cut down on features so I can get the one touch retractable top and dual door combo. I am already saving by choosing a manual transmission, regular engine, regular fenders, regular headlights, no leather, regular bumper, no safety groups, no weather group, color white. What I must have is tow package and hinge-gate reinforcement.

Thanks.
Sponsored

RubiRed

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR, Odyssey, S2000, 911
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 7" unit in my 2018 JLR. I also went this route to keep my options budget in check. The other reason was the 8.4" comes with a subwoofer but on the 2 door it takes up the entire storage well beneath the cargo area. With such a small trunk couldn't give up the precious storage. This isn't much of an issue for 4 door.
  • I'm no audiophile though I think the sound quality is more than okay.
  • I use CarPlay with Google Maps and Spotify. CarPlay requires the phone to be plugged in via usb-lightning cable (at least in my 2018)
  • Tire pressure does not get shown in the 7" display, that's something you see in the instrument panel. Also in the instrument panel are the offroad angles, lockers, etc. Upgrading to 8.4" you get Offroad Pages in the head unit.
  • Climate control works great
  • AFAIK the instrument panel is the same no matter if you have 7" or 8.4"

The 7" screen feels a bit small to me. But it doesn't affect my use for radio tuning or climate control. It's using CarPlay apps where I feel it the most. A little while ago I researched replacing mine with an 8.4" and I came to the conclusion it was not cost effective. Hope the info helps your decision.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FunWagon

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Thanks for all that info. It is very helpful. Sounds sufficient mostly.

I just wonder how the speakers sound. I guess I should try to hear it myself at a dealership.

I also wonder now how the backup camera looks on the 7-inch. For sure it’s bigger than what I have in my 08’ JK.

Larrymuld

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

I just wonder how the speakers sound. I guess I should try to hear it myself at a dealership.

I also wonder now how the backup camera looks on the 7-inch. For sure it’s bigger than what I have in my 08’ JK.
I agree with Rubired. I have the 7in radio and use CarPlay for navigation, I use Imaps through my iPhone more than google maps. we use the knobs and keep it on auto for climate control.

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager

Are you also considering the Alpine system?

The backup camera is fantastic on the 7” screen. The camera itself must be fairly high fidelity because the picture is very sharp and clear. My wife’s vehicle has a similar sized screen and her backup camera is nowhere near as clear.

Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
I have the 7" unit in my 2018 JLR. I also went this route to keep my options budget in check. The other reason was the 8.4" comes with a subwoofer but on the 2 door it takes up the entire storage well beneath the cargo area. With such a small trunk couldn't give up the precious storage. This isn't much of an issue for 4 door.
  • I'm no audiophile though I think the sound quality is more than okay.
  • I use CarPlay with Google Maps and Spotify. CarPlay requires the phone to be plugged in via usb-lightning cable (at least in my 2018)
  • Tire pressure does not get shown in the 7" display, that's something you see in the instrument panel. Also in the instrument panel are the offroad angles, lockers, etc. Upgrading to 8.4" you get Offroad Pages in the head unit.
  • Climate control works great

The 7" screen feels a bit small to me. But it doesn't affect my use for radio tuning or climate control. It's using CarPlay apps where I feel it the most. A little while ago I researched replacing mine with an 8.4" and I came to the conclusion it was not cost effective. Hope the info helps your decision.
I agree with everything noted above, but will just add that I use Android auto and that works great with the 7" screen too. Aside from the off road pages, I don't think you really lose anything with the 7".

OP
OP
FunWagon

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Sounds functionally the 7-inch is great. I heard the industry recognized the UConnect as a top central control system with its ease of use, etc.

I am not an audiophile but like to listen to music. I am just curious if the speakers are ok when playing music. Just getting the Alpine speakers without the 8.4-inch is still a lot of doe and not far off from getting the whole thing.

Assuming I can get 8% below invoice I am at 50k with the 7-inch. This price already seems crazy to me.

10 to 12 years ago I got two new vehicles, fully loaded, for around 40k each which gave us amazing 200,000 miles each over 10 to 12 years and loads of fun. My Jeep and a minivan. The minivan we just replaced with a loaded Chrysler Pacifica Limited for 44k. It has the 8.4-inch, huge sunroof over two rows, heated seats front and second row, built in vaccum cleaner, air compressor, premium leather, power folding 3rd row seats, open trunk and sliding doors with a kicking motion under vehicle, etc. etc. Minivans are exploding with technology, expensive, and this one is loaded... and it “only” cost us 44k from Chrysler/Jeep... all the same technology plus a lot more for prices in the 40s compared to Wranglers that seem to be in the 50s for the same thing. I had two Rubicons in 20 years and it was always in the high 30s. I know times change. Just me ranting. Don’t mind it.

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
I have the 7" and don't feel it is too small. The backup camera looks nice and sharp on it. However, the sound quality is lacking a little and replaced the dash and sound bar speakers(which is very easy btw) and that made a huge difference and cost me around $120.

speaker upgrade: amazon link

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
There are actually 2 different informations screens available in the gauge cluster. A basic black and white one, and a color one. I'm not sure which package gets you the black and white one, but my jeep has the 7 inch screen and the better color information panel.

The speakers in the base system are horrible. I spent 2 weeks in a rental with the base system and it drove me nuts. The alpine system is also lacking, but likely good enough for most. The alpine system is available with the 7 inch screen.

All functions you asked about work on the 7 inch screen, however the 7 inch, and the 8.4 inch are both terrible head units because uconnect is terrible. When it works, it's fine. But it's very buggy in general. Browse the threads in this forum for some examples of issues people have with them.

My advice to you, and what I would have done if I could go back, get the most basic sound system available. Base speakers, and if they still offer the 5 inch head get that too. Take the money saved and pickup a Stinger heigh10 and a nice aftermarket speaker system. For the money wasted on the stock sound system upgrades you could actually build out a very nice aftermarket system that far surpasses the factory upgrades.

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
All functions you asked about work on the 7 inch screen, however the 7 inch, and the 8.4 inch are both terrible head units because uconnect is terrible. When it works, it's fine. But it's very buggy in general. Browse the threads in this forum for some examples of issues people have with them.
I'm not saying you are wrong, but I think hands down Uconnect has probably the best and most intuitive interface on the market. I've owned 4 vehicles with it and none have ever given me a problem. Now the Ford and Chevy system I don't have very many kind words for...

Sponsored

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
I'm not saying you are wrong, but I think hands down Uconnect has probably the best and most intuitive interface on the market. I've owned 4 vehicles with it and none have ever given me a problem. Now the Ford and Chevy system I don't have very many kind words for...
I've owned 3 myself, and driven probably around 100 rentals with it. Not all were garbage, but many were. When uconnect works it's OK. Not great, but ok. I do not have experience with the Chevy or Ford systems, but I guess comparing anything to a complete turd, the least turd thing is going to shine. IMO, the best and most intuitive system on the market would be an android system. Have you used the uconnect systems that require voice Bluetooth pairing? After my 3rd one of those I refused any rental that had one. Total trash.

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
I'll also throw in the fact that my jeep had to go back to the dealer at approximately 2 weeks old, because the USBs tied to the head unit stopped working. No android auto, no charging, nothing. This was on a 2021 JLU.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
I have the 7" screen and I don't have the 8th screen Audio. The Tazer JL mini requires you be on the 8th screen Audio to program it.
2021 JLR

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
The 7" is nice, but I found the CarPlay screen to be just a little cramped with all the border around it (for the on-screen buttons and such). The CarPlay section of the screen is about the same size as my phone. I finally broke down and got the 8.4", and it feels twice as big to me. So I got the bigger screen, the off-road pages, built-in Nav and I guess that's about it.

I also use the Wireless CarPlay adapter called CarLinkIt. Once you've had wireless CarPlay you won't want to go back, it's so convenient. I had heard that upgrading to the 8.4" would lose CarPlay in center console, but it still works fine for me. I have not tried without the little USB A > C adapter that was required on my 7" to make it work, I doubt it's any different but I should try it for grins.

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
I agree with everything RubiRed and Dan M said. I have a 2019 and 2021, both with the 7 in screen.

The only thing I will add is that when I shut the engine off with the phone still plugged in all the pre set numbers in uconnect are erased. the first time I addressed it with the dealer I was told the engineers are aware of that problem and are working on a fix. The next 2 times I addressed it I was told my uconnect is up to date and it's the phone causing it. We have Samsung S21 phones and it happens to both phones in both Jeeps.
Sponsored