Sponsored

How is the soft top in the winter? (real winter)

jfman

First Name
J-F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 accord, BMW 325XIT
Canadian guy here.

For those who live up North, how is the soft top in the winter?

My cars live outside in the city and I often have to park out of remote start range.

How is it with the defrosting of the windows? Does it a affect warm up time before I am able to see well enough out of the windows to take off?

What is the overall feel of the top, How is the seal of the whole thing?

Is buying a soft top model in Canada just dumb?

Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP

jfman

First Name
J-F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 accord, BMW 325XIT
Can you scrape at the windows on this thing or is that a big no-no?

Blades

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU sport
Definitely don't scrape the windows. The heater warms them up quick. I am from Michigan and been through two winters no issues.

Gummiente62

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gummiente62.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sport, 97 C5 Corvette, 03 HD FXD
Occupation
Retired
Another Canadian guy here. I just came through my first winter with the soft top, it was no big deal. As mentioned already, the heater in these things is fecking awesome. Let the Jeep warm up for 5 or 10min in the morning before driving, this will keep frost from forming on the inside of the windows. Never use a brush or scraper on the soft top windows and don't remove the rear window unless absolutely necessary. You'll be fine.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
They will be brittle in the cold so be gentle. Temp wise, no issues in the cold. Enjoy the soft top.

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
No problems here in Ohio with the soft top BUT NEVER EVER EVER, and maybe one more never, touch the soft top windows:surprised:. Enjoy the ease of the soft top:like:

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I ran soft top all year when I had my TJ as well as my jl. The top heats up fast so I’ve never had any issues with defrosting. The vertical windows never seem to gather much snow and ice anyway.

Only time visibility is a challenge is when road salt spray finds its way up onto the windows. As others have said, you’ll need to resist the urge to wipe them off until you can get to a touchless car wash or other means to wash them down. Wiping the windows with any dirt present will definitely scratch them.

Only other jl specific downside I’ve found is that the back window is essentially unremovable at cold temperatures. The material contracts and makes it very difficult to remove if you need full access to the cargo area.

However, for me it’s all stuff I can work around and enjoy not having to store and swap out different tops throughout the year.

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Is it a 2 or 4 door? My 2 door had issues with strong winds and snow getting under the top
Jeep Wrangler JL How is the soft top in the winter? (real winter) 20190313_132119

Tangokilo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Oldsmobile 442, 2001 4runner, 2010 Honda Accord V6 Coupe, 2011 VW Golf, 1969 Triump T100 MC and 2018 JLU Sport S
Native Michigander. I ran with my soft top the first winter with no problems. The big issue for me is l like to keep my vehicles washed frequently especially in winter. I picked up a hardtop for the winter, so no worries with automatic car washes. Get both tops if ordering new. Tom

sdebol

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sahara
Have had a Wrangler in Minnesota for the last 14 years (dual top). Sure it’s doable to run with the soft top all winter but I sure wouldn’t want to. If there’s any way you can swing it I would highly recommend hard top for winter and soft top for summer. Just my opinion of course.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Montreal winters are long and f*cking cold.

You will have get used to not seeing out the back curtain for most of winter.

I wouldn’t do it.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Canadian guy here.

For those who live up North, how is the soft top in the winter?

My cars live outside in the city and I often have to park out of remote start range.

How is it with the defrosting of the windows? Does it a affect warm up time before I am able to see well enough out of the windows to take off?

What is the overall feel of the top, How is the seal of the whole thing?

Is buying a soft top model in Canada just dumb?
My JL lives in an insulated garage, but my soft top YJ lived outside through a cold/wet/snowy Pennsylvania winter. What I say below carries over to the JL, at least in part.

I'd have the heater fan on Medium, or High, when hardtop owners might have needed Low or Medium, but I was never cold. The soft top was comparatively noisy, but it never leaked. The noise was a consequence of that generation's simple design and construction. The soft top on the JL is an order of magnitude improved.

The vertical orientation of the soft side and rear windows meant that ice, slush and snow rarely accumulated in any volume sufficient to adversely affect visibility. Dirty road spray on the rear window was the thorn in my side, though. Careful daily wiping with a wettened cotton towel made short work of cleaning the clear plastic.

When washing the vehicle was necessary, a sponge and a bucket were the order of the day. Soft top vehicles have no place in car wash bays, touchless or otherwise. Even using the pressure wash spray gun for a water rinse in the DIY bay should be avoided. Your errant aim could shoot water, and/or cause damage, where you don't want it. Edit: Using the pressure wash gun to clean the vehicle's underside of road salt, etc. is a good idea.

As an aside, and with respect to your current living situation (a vehicle having to be parked outside in an urban environment), I'd consider the hard top compulsory.

Last edited:

5foot19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I'm confident the soft-top can take a winter, but I'm curious how it'll hold up after 5 winters. Between the weight of the snow, and the salt it's got to be hard on the top, and for this reason, I run the hard top in the winter.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
This is the only problem I’ve experienced with the 2 door soft top. Drove through western Kansas with a nasty crosswind. Top would lift where you see snow during strong gusts. Disconcerting at first hearing the howl and seeing daylight but no damage.

I also keep a bottle of glass cleaner on hand to clean the back three windows. Like to leave them off as long as I can!

Is it a 2 or 4 door? My 2 door had issues with strong winds and snow getting under the top
Jeep Wrangler JL How is the soft top in the winter? (real winter) 20190313_132119
Sponsored