How is the Jeep hardtop made?

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Just curious if anyone knows how the Jeep hard top is constructed. Attached is a picture of the inside of the Bronco hardtop which somewhat explains the problems they have had.

The picture got me wondering about what the inside of Jeep’s top look like.

Jeep Wrangler JL How is the Jeep hardtop made? 4B05C2F5-FB91-4BEF-BCAE-D8AB4F391B6D
Sponsored

Last edited:

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Ours seems to be fiberglass in a single “layer” except the D pillar which has a hollow section around the rear window: Google pictures of damage ones appear to confirm.

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
Yeah, I looked at the same. I can say this, I bought one of the first JKU's that came out (October 2006), and I'm still driving it and the hard top has taken a beating and never once leaked. That's one thing that pushed me back to Jeep instead of the Bronco.

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
Attached is a picture of the inside of the Bronco hardtop which somewhat explains the problems they have had.
I don't find that particularly concerning. It's a fiber reinforced plastic part with a honeycomb core. The load is carried in the external fiber layers. The core is just there to keep them in place with some very minor crush resistance. Also gives better thermal insulation than a single glass layer design like the jeep seems to have. The bronco roof may have issues, but it isn't an inherent issue with it being constructed using honeycomb core.

thance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Commander, 2002 Liberty, Looking for JLURD
Never want to see cardboard used for structural support.... even if it is just holding the mould... i mean mold.

On the bright side it should provide better noise insulation.

Sponsored

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
ever want to see cardboard used for structural support
Fortunately, you're not seeing that here either. The core isn't much of a structural support.

If it makes you feel better, most aircraft composites use paper cores in their honeycomb materials as well, albeit a bit fancier papers. It's an oversimplification, but this is much scarier looking than it really is.

The wrangler top has hollow sections between fiberglass layers... is air stronger than cardboard?

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like a (cheap) Aramid honeycomb core inside the MIC but holy crap does it look inconsistent. I wonder if they're rotary or injection? Either way, if they can nail it down they should have great thermal and sound insulation properties, but it looks like they've got a long way to go if this sample is any indication.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like a (cheap) Aramid honeycomb core inside the MIC but holy crap does it look inconsistent. I wonder if they're rotary or injection? Either way, if they can nail it down they should have great thermal and sound insulation properties, but it looks like they've got a long way to go if this sample is any indication.
Josh, Ford has had a ton of problems with their hard tops. I think they gave the bean counters to much power in the decision. The first ones had raw cuts on the edges that caused it to draw moisture, and the outer layer was so thin the honeycomb showed through. Now, the second gen tops have rolled corners like the Jeep, but some are having problems with leaks. I actually have a Bronco reserved, but with this fiasco Ford calls the Bronco it looks like it won't get a build date until maybe the 3rd or 4th quarter of '23. I really don't care at this point as we still enjoy our Jeep. And if I ever get a build date I may just tell them to forget the whole dang deal.

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Josh, Ford has had a ton of problems with their hard tops. I think they gave the bean counters to much power in the decision. The first ones had raw cuts on the edges that caused it to draw moisture, and the outer layer was so thin the honeycomb showed through. Now, the second gen tops have rolled corners like the Jeep, but some are having problems with leaks. I actually have a Bronco reserved, but with this fiasco Ford calls the Bronco it looks like it won't get a build date until maybe the 3rd or 4th quarter of '23. I really don't care at this point as we still enjoy our Jeep. And if I ever get a build date I may just tell them to forget the whole dang deal.
My dad just picked up his $60k Bronco today and is driving it back to Phoenix from Illinois. I hope he doesn't have issues along the way and look forward to getting eyes on it myself as I haven't even seen one up close in person.

Sponsored

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
My dad just picked up his $60k Bronco today and is driving it back to Phoenix from Illinois. I hope he doesn't have issues along the way and look forward to getting eyes on it myself as I haven't even seen one up close in person.

They are quite impressive. I've seen a few, but haven't driven one yet. My local Ford dealer has a couple for test drives, but I just haven't taken the time to go by. If you want to get the Ford boys all upset just tell them it's the Bronco that will have to prove itself. The Jeep doesn't need to prove anything. I got quite a few upset with that statement.:)

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
They are quite impressive. I've seen a few, but haven't driven one yet. My local Ford dealer has a couple for test drives, but I just haven't taken the time to go by. If you want to get the Ford boys all upset just tell them it's the Bronco that will have to prove itself. The Jeep doesn't need to prove anything. I got quite a few upset with that statement.:)
Good ammunition to bust his balls with. :CWL: He's currently stuck in a Ford phase... he was a GM guy in the '90s and early '00s and I gave him crap endlessly because they were all broken, all the time. Then he got on a Mopar kick from the late '00s to mid '10s and had really good luck with their cars and trucks for the most part. Then, for some reason, he switched to Fords and all three of his last trucks have had issues, some more severe than others. Now he's got this and I really hope it works out for him but I'm also not holding my breath, lol.
Sponsored