Sponsored

How is the dual top factory packed in JLU..how much space is left for the driver?

JJ_WA

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dakota, 2017 Cherokee, 2023 Willys XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Higher Education
Clubs

she wont fit if you have half doors. There's no space for the passenger and barely any space at all for the driver. What you guys can do is have her drive a car to the dealer ( truck preferred) load the doors in the car you took with you or at least half the doors and you'll have space to drive it home. Listen, not only that i'm 6'4 i'm one of those weird drivers that is pushing his seat to the max, furthest from the steering wheel. This is how i drive and i hold the steering wheel at 6 YMMV
Thanks for the info! She had to fit into the lowered back seat of a brand new '86 Honda Prelude, sharing the seat with the bumpers. The bumpers were removed so it could be transported from Guam to South Korea back then. I'm sure she'd not want to try that again!

Like someone else said I may get a small UHaul trailer for the extras when we go to pick up. We'll be flying to the dealer.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Notnoway

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks for the info! She had to fit into the lowered back seat of a brand new '86 Honda Prelude, sharing the seat with the bumpers. The bumpers were removed so it could be transported from Guam to South Korea back then. I'm sure she'd not want to try that again!

Like someone else said I may get a small UHaul trailer for the extras when we go to pick up. We'll be flying to the dealer.
towing before the break in? If you do it make sure you get your tires to manufacturers recommended PSI..Factory inflates them at least 10 PSI over and with a trailer youll tail fish a lot.

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I had only about an hour and a half drive with mine. I'm 6'1 and wished I could've gone back a little bit more. However, as others have said, unpack the box at the dealer. Once you do you can probably get away with having only half of the back seat down and make it comfortable for everyone!

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
I'm a tad large at 6'5 285lbs. picked up my jeep with the dual tip and drove the 15 miles home. not comfortable but doable.

This was with the 6-speed manual as well.

Slate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 Wrangler Sport, '23 Rubi 4XE
I have been thinking about this now for the last few days! LOL.

There is literally a Lowes within walking distance next to Guptons and you could buy a hitch ball mount there instead of bringing one in your carry-on - this all assumes you have the tow package on your jeep!

Years ago I rented a small trailer at Uhaul, it was this little aerodynamic thing and was the perfect size, I went to the Uhaul website and didn't see that style anymore, but did see several Uhaul places in Springfield and one is 2 miles from Gupton. The 4x8 should be plenty big enough, especially if you break the box down.

I see another person took the empty box out and that freed up some room as well. I didn't mess with any of that, but once I got home I pulled it and the other foam pieces out and figured I could have done that at the dealer.

I was just thinking that I don't think you would be able to have Gupton send it to another dealer since they will do the PDI, and you will want them to do the PDI. That means you are using a third party to transport the Jeep. All that being said, years ago I bought two (used) vehicles off of Ebay (just remembered they were both Jeeps!) and had both delivered to me, and everything worked out fine.

It looks like a trailer from Uhaul is like $90 from Springfield, TN to Colorado Springs, so that is pretty cheap.

But again, if you don't have the tow package then none of that matters. Also, you aren't towing any real weight (other than the trailer itself), per se, but you are in fact towing during the break-in period, so that is something to keep in mind.

Sponsored

Slate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 Wrangler Sport, '23 Rubi 4XE
Ok, I just reread the earlier posts, for some reason I thought you were picking yours up from Gupton in TN. The rest of my thoughts make sense, kind of, LOL.

OP
OP

Notnoway

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Ok, I just reread the earlier posts, for some reason I thought you were picking yours up from Gupton in TN. The rest of my thoughts make sense, kind of, LOL.
Is not Gupton but thank you for your suggestion. Is something to keep in mind...

Last edited:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
towing before the break in? If you do it make sure you get your tires to manufacturers recommended PSI..Factory inflates them at least 10 PSI over and with a trailer youll tail fish a lot.
Towing their smallest trailer with just a a couple hundred pounds in it wont hurt anything. The tongue weight will be so low that here is no need to inflate the tires to the max.

Fishtailing happens with improper tongue weights, an improperly loaded trailer or the wrong tow vehicle for a heavier trailer.

Here's all the trailer you will need.

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/4x8-Cargo-Trailer-Rental/UV/

OP
OP

Notnoway

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm a tad large at 6'5 285lbs. picked up my jeep with the dual tip and drove the 15 miles home. not comfortable but doable.

This was with the 6-speed manual as well.
was your packed like this? I feel like dealer removed some padding that was preventing the box to rub against the seat

2023-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-sting-gray-clearcoat-8.jpg

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
was your packed like this? I feel like dealer removed some padding that was preventing the box to rub against the seat

Jeep Wrangler JL How is the dual top factory packed in JLU..how much space is left for the driver? 2023-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-sting-gray-clearcoat-8
Yup exactly like that. it's totally doable.

Sponsored

Xorak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hellayella Sport, 2023 Reign Sahara
Don't worry about a trailer, just unbox the top at the dealership when you pick up the Jeep. All the components will fit with half the rear seat folded down and you can get the front seats set comfortably. I was easily able to fit a complete used soft top inside my yellow 4 door.

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
any idea how heavy the soft top is? Transporter charges extra if box inside the car is over 100lbs
definitely over 100lbs in the box, def less then 100lbs unboxed

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I am 6'1 and although I had plenty of leg room the seat back was pretty straight - felt like 90 degrees and not super comfortable for a 2-hour trip, but it wasn't bad - I was just stoked to finally have the thing!
I was about to offer my input on the "recline" kit, then looked to the left and saw you had a 4xe... no help for us man. :)
Sponsored