Sponsored

How is the dual top factory packed in JLU..how much space is left for the driver?

Notnoway

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
  • Banned
I'm 6'4 and When my JLU came with half doors , they were so packed that driver was the only one able to get inside the car. Not only that but the seat had to be pushed so much forward, there was no way a tall person could drive.
Now I'm getting a JLU with dual top and again the extras , (the top) is shipped inside the jeep. Anyone has any pics showing how it is packed and if driver can move the seat?
Sponsored

Slate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 Wrangler Sport, '23 Rubi 4XE
Didn't take any pics, but I had a similar question when I went to pick mine up. I was originally going to take my two kids and wanted to know if I could break the box down, pull the soft top parts out and then fold one of the seats up for one of my kids. At any rate, I am glad I didn't do that as it is packed in there pretty well.

I am 6'1 and although I had plenty of leg room the seat back was pretty straight - felt like 90 degrees and not super comfortable for a 2-hour trip, but it wasn't bad - I was just stoked to finally have the thing!

In my case the charger and the doors off mirror kit were in the passenger seat, something I had completely forgotten about and so we put that in my wife's car for the ride home. If she wasn't there, then those two boxes would have been in my son's lap for 2 plus hours - there is NO room back there.

There are a couple of "unboxing" videos that show how it is all packed in there. I have the 4xe and the battery makes a little hump.

I think height wise you will be fine, I didn't feel squished or felt like I was too close to the steering wheel, but the angle of the seat back might be another story.

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cultural Heritage Researcher
From what little I know, the soft top leaves a bit more room than dual doors.... Still packed, which is why you can't order both together (which I find to be absurd, the fact that they can't find a way to ship them separately or something....🙄🙄)

OP
OP

Notnoway

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
  • Banned
Didn't take any pics, but I had a similar question when I went to pick mine up.
i have about 22 hours of driving..I might pass on driving it home and hire transportation. Thank you

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)

Sponsored

Rosco P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless at the moment.
I would unpack it in the dealer lot and leave the coffin of a cardboard box there. I would prop the top up sideways with the rear seats down, and pack in the remaining boxes. Plenty of space.

Dailydrivenwrangler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Wrangler JLUR
Both front seats all the way back at normal driving position for this 6’ human being. I took the stuff out of the big coffin and left the box in the dumpster. It takes up the whole back with the rear seats folded down but the front seats remain functional.

88B216FC-001F-43B0-AB8A-7AD34F17BA75.jpeg

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Mine and prior ones that we got came with a few smaller boxes in one big box but the most recent ones that we have gotten they got rid of the big box and put all the small boxes in the back.

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
I would unpack it in the dealer lot and leave the coffin of a cardboard box there. I would prop the top up sideways with the rear seats down, and pack in the remaining boxes. Plenty of space.
^^^^^
This spot on!!
Some dealers at least in our case offered to do this after they had cleaned the interior for PDI they had our Softtop stored aside when we arrived they lined the back of the jeep with some plastic from the service department and opened the huge box for us and had our sales guy help us load everything in the jeep

Sponsored

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cultural Heritage Researcher
If you have a trailer hitch, rent a small Uhaul.
They will have to buy and install a break light kit for the trailer though, as for some weird reason even if you order the trailer tow package, it does not include the wiring for break lights installed from what I hear.... 🙄🙄

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
What? Never heard of such a crazy thing. Trailer brakes, yeah. Brake lights? These CANbus systems are just too complicated, unnecessarily so.

JJ_WA

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dakota, 2017 Cherokee, 2023 Willys XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Higher Education
Clubs

I'm 6'4 and When my JLU came with half doors , they were so packed that driver was the only one able to get inside the car. Not only that but the seat had to be pushed so much forward, there was no way a tall person could drive.
Now I'm getting a JLU with dual top and again the extras , (the top) is shipped inside the jeep. Anyone has any pics showing how it is packed and if driver can move the seat?
Good to know about the half-door group and a JLU as that was the plan...or the dual top option. I'm still waffling about it. I'm not as tall, but we'll be flying down and driving back. I doubt my wife'll want to curl up among the boxes for a 400 mile trip.

OP
OP

Notnoway

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Good to know about the half-door group and a JLU as that was the plan...or the dual top option. I'm still waffling about it. I'm not as tall, but we'll be flying down and driving back. I doubt my wife'll want to curl up among the boxes for a 400 mile trip.
she wont fit if you have half doors. There's no space for the passenger and barely any space at all for the driver. What you guys can do is have her drive a car to the dealer ( truck preferred) load the doors in the car you took with you or at least half the doors and you'll have space to drive it home. Listen, not only that i'm 6'4 i'm one of those weird drivers that is pushing his seat to the max, furthest from the steering wheel. This is how i drive and i hold the steering wheel at 6 YMMV
Sponsored