Sponsored

How is average fuel efficiency calculated?

ajasper6579

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 4-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Advertising
  • Banned
Does anyone know how the fuel efficiency is calculated by the vehicle? Is it over the life of the car or does it reflect the average fuel consumed over a specific period?
Sponsored

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know how the fuel efficiency is calculated by the vehicle? Is it over the life of the car or does it reflect the average fuel consumed over a specific period?
My understanding is that they put each vehicle on a machine that simulates the strain of “real world driving scenarios” and they calculate it from the period of time they are testing. So I wouldn’t think it’s over the life of the vehicle. However, real life numbers seem almost always slightly lower than test numbers. With that said, I am getting over 21 MPG from my 3.6L Sport S so I’m not really complaining...

OP
OP
ajasper6579

ajasper6579

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 4-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Advertising
  • Banned
My understanding is that they put each vehicle on a machine that simulates the strain of “real world driving scenarios” and they calculate it from the period of time they are testing. So I wouldn’t think it’s over the life of the vehicle. However, real life numbers seem almost always slightly lower than test numbers. With that said, I am getting over 21 MPG from my 3.6L Sport S so I’m not really complaining...
Thank you for responding. I am actually referring to those real world numbers. Are they calculated in a "for the past 100 miles, you used 10 gallons, therefore, you get 10 miles per gallon" or is it "you have 3000 total miles on this vehicle and have used 300 gallons of gas, therefore you get 10 miles per gallon"?

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Regarding real world numbers on your particular Jeep, it is calculated from the last reset. If you go to the fuel efficiency screen on EVIC you can press and hold the "OK" button to reset the calculation. Otherwise it will continue to calculate from the last time it was reset, or from new if it's never been reset.
I know a lot of people like to reset the calculation every fill to see how they do on that tank.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yep, I reset at each fillup. It's pretty accurate. It calculates based upon fuel injector pulse, engine load, temperature, and many other factors. The display is usually within a couple of tenths of matching my hand calculations.

Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Ive compared the computer average to the real calculation numerous times and its always spot on.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I believe that it is figured on the Fuel Efficiency screen over 500 miles or from last reset (up to 500 miles). The trip meters are from last reset. I never reset trip B so that is over the entire life of the vehicle, I reset trip A every full up. Mine is a Rubicon, not sure if the Sports have all that info.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
I reset trip meter A every fill up however trip meter B has been calculating since delivery 4600 miles ago all types of driving 20.3 mpg, . not bad! Best has been 24.6 all speed under 50 mph. doing MPG using fill ups and math pretty close to EVIC trip meter calculations. A little better than our 2012 JKU.

Go Jeep!!!
Sponsored