Sponsored

How in the world does one turn off the radio?

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Just picked up my 2019 JLUR with 8.4" screen. I cannot figure out how to turn off the radio and have the screen stay on. What if the radio is playing but I no longer want music but do want to use nav - how the heck can I turn off the radio without the screen going black? Am I missing something obvious? Myself, as well as my 16 year old have failed at solving this important 21st century problem .
Sponsored

OP
OP
swimman

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Pressing the mute button will mute the music but will it also mute nav directions or phone calls? My wife's car has a button to power off the radio as well as a mute button. Normally, if I don't want to listen tousoc I turn the radio off and then if needed, hit the nav button to bring up nav.

DCELL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JL Sahara, Ford F150
Button on the right of the screen, says "Map". Hit that, the radio info will go to the background with a smaller footprint image. As far as the voice prompts for Nav. That will still come on at "its" normal volume-even if the radio is very low, unless you go into the NAV menu to turn off those. On the NAV note, I HATE the voice prompts for turns, etc. Easy to enable/disable now. MUCH easier than shutting the voice prompts from the OEM radio in earlier Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep radios. Those old radios would actually mute the radio for the voice to play, even when you disable it, so you'd have dead air instead of hearing "right turn in X feet".

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Button on the right of the screen, says "Map". Hit that, the radio info will go to the background with a smaller footprint image. As far as the voice prompts for Nav. That will still come on at "its" normal volume-even if the radio is very low, unless you go into the NAV menu to turn off those. On the NAV note, I HATE the voice prompts for turns, etc. Easy to enable/disable now. MUCH easier than shutting the voice prompts from the OEM radio in earlier Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep radios. Those old radios would actually mute the radio for the voice to play, even when you disable it, so you'd have dead air instead of hearing "right turn in X feet".
Oh my 18 Rubicon I just push in on the volume button first one on the left side, the big one. That turned it off and on. Sorry I just reread his question, I thought he was just asking how to turn the radio off and turn it on!

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Just mute or turn the volume all the way down. It won't affect the UConnect voice system nor phone calls.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I always like music, but if hitting the mute button mutes both music and direction, and you still want to hear directions, since directions override everything else, why not go to media and chose a source that doesn’t have anything hooked to it. Put it on usb 2 or 3. If nothing is hooked up, nothing will play, but directions will still come through.

OP
OP
swimman

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thanks for the recommendations. I guess there is no way to turn it 'off' but will try the media button.

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
I have the 8.4 on my 18 Ram 5500. I can't turn it off. I just put volume to zero. I still hear directions and calls.
My wife 18 Durango has the 8.4 and she can actually turn it off, Go figure. I'm still waiting for my 19 rubicon with the 8.4.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I'm confused by this question. Can't you just push the power button (left side of photo with the standard "power" icon)? If that turns off everything, just hit the "mute" button which is just below that to silence the radio. As far as I've noticed mute doesn't affect nav prompts.

Buttons.jpg

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Just picked up my 2019 JLUR with 8.4" screen. I cannot figure out how to turn off the radio and have the screen stay on. What if the radio is playing but I no longer want music but do want to use nav - how the heck can I turn off the radio without the screen going black? Am I missing something obvious? Myself, as well as my 16 year old have failed at solving this important 21st century problem .
(Screaming over the music)

I'm sorry @swimman , I can't hear you, what...….what did you say?!!!!!!!!;)

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
On a similar note the other day I realized that while navigation was speaking directions to me (believe through the Waze app) I was able to turn down the volume of the spoken directions without turning down the music. I didn't like how load the directions were in comparison to the music and finally found the fix. You have to time it just right as the directions are being spoken. Not sure if this works in the other navigation apps.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
That's the factory setting so it should work on any app. Great tip though.
For anyone who didn't know, what Kevin is saying is:
If you adjust the volume while the navigator is talking, it adjusts the volume for navigation only, leaving the radio unchanged. Likewise, you can adjust your radio up/down while listening to music, without it affecting how loud/quiet the navigator prompts are.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
That's the factory setting so it should work on any app. Great tip though.
For anyone who didn't know, what Kevin is saying is:
If you adjust the volume while the navigator is talking, it adjusts the volume for navigation only, leaving the radio unchanged. Likewise, you can adjust your radio up/down while listening to music, without it affecting how loud/quiet the navigator prompts are.
Brilliant, thanks!
Sponsored