Sponsored

How important are heated seats to you?

Dp227

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6MT
I like my heated seats a lot.

Not a requirement, but definitely a nice to have that extends the timeline for having the top open/off.

As it gets colder, I am constantly reminded that while the heating steering wheel is nice, the cold 6MT shift knob is a bit jarring when my hands have gotten used to the warmth. Kind of an oversight in the cold weather group.

That said, we’ve solidly moved into the territory of first world problems, especially for a Jeep.
Sponsored

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
I live in LA, so who needs them? That's what I thought until I drove up to Big Bear with no doors and no top for off-roading. I was so cold coming down the mountain that those heated seats, and the flamethrower my JK calls a heater saved me. I will ALWAYS order them from now on.

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
There are other threads in which the discussion is about which options you shouldn't skip. Proximity locks seems to be a front runner on those threads. Because of that, I added it to my build. I can honestly say now I disagree with that consensus. I could totally skip it if I had to do all over again.

But heated seats, that's a different story... and I live in Atlanta where it's totally not needed. There's just something about the way heated seats warm you up more comfortably than the heated air does blasting from the vents.

Don't think I'd order a vehicle without them.

goose77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.toolsinaction.com
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR, , 84 CJ7 , 22 TREMOR, 23 Model Y
Occupation
Pan Handler
Vehicle Showcase
I literally got sold my 18 JL for a 21 because I wanted heated seats and wheel. Same with my F250, I got a new one on order because my 20 does not have a heated wheel.

Heated steering wheels are amazing at warming you up and increasing your comfort level. Must haves for cold climates

Lucky #7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6-spd Manual
I got them because I knew my wife would enjoy the top down driving more if she had heated seats. I would NOT have a vehicle without heated seats. BTW, I have cloth seats. Heated steering wheel? I love it but I guess I could live without it...

Sponsored

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
I live in LA, so who needs them? That's what I thought until I drove up to Big Bear with no doors and no top for off-roading. I was so cold coming down the mountain that those heated seats, and the flamethrower my JK calls a heater saved me. I will ALWAYS order them from now on.
Before I got heated seats in my JL, I had a JK without them. I recall seeing folks driving around in their convertible vehicles on cool fall and spring days. I always thought those people were 'fronting'. As in, they wanted so badly to show off that they had a convertible top vehicle that they were enduring the cold temperatures just to show off.

Now I know that they likely had heated seats which allowed them cruise top down in comfort because my heated seats allow me to do the same in my JL when my top is removed.

Heated seats really make that much of difference in the temperature transition seasons.

Rachel Ruby

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys and a 2010 Rubicon
Just saw where most GM trucks and SUVs are losing heated seats and steering wheels all the way through 2022. 👀

If you got yourJL with heated seats (I did) would losing them have affected your purchase decision? For me, it might have. I love them that much. My sore back loves them that much.

Can’t believe how bad/weird this chip shortage has gotten.
Starting the week of November 15, most GM SUVs and pickups will lose their heated and ventilated seats. This includes the Chevrolet Silverado (pictured), Traverse (except the High Country model), Blazer, and Equinox, and the GMC Sierra, Acadia (except the Denali), Canyon, and Terrain. Automotive Newsreported, relying on a GM letter to dealers, that this change is going to last throughout the 2022 model year. Heated steering wheels are on their way out, too, starting later in November, the paper reported. Customers will get a credit of $150 to $500 to help make up for the loss.
Living in South Carolina no need for them , I have lived fifty years without the need for heated seats, I come from Northern Ireland where it is really cold in the winter time none of my vehicles from there had them so no big deal

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Don’t care for them. But I’ll say one thing - girls love heated seats.

Albany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Willy's Sport 2 door manual
Live in the Northeast and don't need or even particularly want heated seats or steering wheel. Maybe because I park in a garage it's never that cold!

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
We have heated seats and steering wheel. If I had to I would give up the heated steering wheel. We both have occasional back problems so the heated seats serve more than just in cold weather. There is definitely a problem though. When the temp drops below 37F the drivers seat and steering wheel come on when a remote start is done. The passenger seat does not heat up on the remote start. Because of that my wife wants to drive all the time! 😡

Sponsored

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
Ever since my first Subaru which came with heated seats, and two others with both seats and steering wheel, I wouldn’t go without.

I agree with the above poster who said it’s not that necessary when the car is garaged, but I don’t have a garage at work so after work it’s nice for the ride home during the winter months.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I ordered the cold weather package for the wife. I could personally easily live without it. What I do really, really miss though is adaptive windshield wipers. Good thing that it's mostly used as a fair weather vehicle.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I ordered a Wrangler in August and despite it being almost $40k, I still couldn't afford one with ANY luxuries... I will miss having heated seats, but I've got other bills to pay as well.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Last 4 cars have had heated seats and steering wheel. My Ram (and now my Jeep) had the auto on when it is below 40, which is genius in my mind.

If I lived in Phoenix I may not look for them, but living in the PNW I love having them on all my cars.

Funny side story, I was in Phoenix in August a few years back. My fathers Maxima had seat heaters, and I accidently turned em on. I was thinking man, these leather seats really hold the heat from sitting in the sun before I realized the button was on...

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
I call this my Pre-Flight Check and it can be really annoying in the winter:

Step 1 - Enter and turn on the vehicle.
[ ... ]
Step 7 - Set the cabin temp, fan speed and vent location (or maybe just hit auto).

So after I've pressed 8-10 buttons I check the flap settings and get pushed back out of my driveway for departure.
I might have some good news for you. You may have seen my postings on Project Lasso? That's the very first issue I'm trying to address.

It's a small mod that connects to at least one of the two CAN busses behind the glove compartment. It reads the environmental temperature, presses the appropriate buttons, monitors the vehicle, and grabs your attention (horn/headlights) once the interior reaches an appropriate level. Everything you wanted in a warm-up cycle (especially a remote-start).

Jeep may not have have included this because they didn't want to encourage people to warm (or cool) their indoor vehicles, but if this works in your situation, it may be exactly what you're looking for. Your pre-flight checklist would be reduced to:

Step 1 - Remote start (or enter and turn on the vehicle)
Step 2 - Disable traction control based using your own judgment. 😉

EDIT: Fixed a link.
Sponsored

Last edited: