How heavy is too heavy front bumper?

rizion

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2dr Sport S
Came across a deal on a front bumper but it weighs 130lbs. Is that in range of what a steal bumper should weigh? Smittybilt XRC Gen2.
Sponsored

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
They get even heavier than that, but 130 lbs seems to be the upper end of what most people prefer. Do you have or plan on adding a winch? If no, then that weight is no issue at all. Add the winch, ya its starts getting up there.

A quick amazon search shows even most of those full width bumpers don't go above 80-90 lbs.

OP
OP
rizion

rizion

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2dr Sport S
They get even heavier than that, but 130 lbs seems to be the upper end of what most people prefer. Do you have or plan on adding a winch? If no, then that weight is no issue at all. Add the winch, ya its starts getting up there.

A quick amazon search shows even most of those full width bumpers don't go above 80-90 lbs.
Searching Amazon is why I asked. Noticed most were exactly where you mentioned which seems significantly less to me in relation to the one I got. I have heavy duty springs so I’m hoping some extra weight will soften them up a bit. But don’t want to sag or dive when breaking.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I have a quadratec QRC full width with a Smitty X2O. It’s a pig of an assembly. It weighed enough to where it sagged my front suspension by nearly 1.5” over the course of a couple years (factory suspension). So much sag in fact, that I was left with about an inch of travel to the stops, and bottomed out often over bumps. It has since sagged my Mopar lift about 3/4”, but it was restored using a spacer.

It’s not the full 180 pounds that did the suspension in. Just lifting the bumper with maybe 50 pounds of force brings the suspension right back.

SparkyIBEW

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Unlimited XR Rubicon
Bumper, skid plate and winch totals 180 lbs. With a EVO 3-1/2" and Hydro bump stops, the front sagged 3/4" and the "bump stops" where always hitting just driving around town. Installed a 1/2" spacer on front coil springs and all is good now, much better. it's level and the stops aren't hitting
Sponsored