Sponsored

How good is the uConnect GPS system?

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
My JL doesn't get here until next month so I need some feedback. I'm shopping for a garmin inReach for the SOS and texting features. I think a setup of an inReach mini providing satellite service to my tablet running Gaia will be a good setup. But I don't plan on always taking my tablet with me and I may want to mark locations while out exploring. Is the JL NAV good enough for this? If not I'm considering the inReach explorer that has maps and all sorts of active GPS features.
Sponsored

Red Willy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Beach High Tide, 2021 2 dr. Willys stick
Occupation
Professional Nobody
The U connect GPS is one of the worst systems I've ever owned. One time while trying to get back to the RV park in an unfamiliar town, it guided me through a university dorm area for about 2 miles only to come to a locked gate. Total POS. I use Google with Android Auto.

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It’s good enough to work when you can’t get cell service on a device for Google Maps like mentioned above, but that’s about all I use it for. It does work without cell service and a lot of areas where we go wheeling don’t have cell service. I do use the trail mapping system to log trails which is a little clunky but still useful and kinda cool.
Still, I find myself downloading the local maps for most places before I go wheeling there so that I can make sure I find my way out if there’s no service.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
I've actually found it to be excellent. Had the system in a '14 Cherokee Limited, followed by my '18 JL Rubicon, '18 Grand Cherokee High Altitude, and now my '21 4xe. It has always been easy to use, accurate, and prompt. While connected to Sirius travel link during the introductory period I would get accurate route warnings and well planned routes around hazards. I wander. A lot. As such I often find my way into places with lousy or non-existent cell service and have always been able to find my way out with the onboard GPS when I've felt the need (as opposed to wandering my way back out again.) More recently it's come with the larger screen and Alpine, but found it performed well enough I would have likely paid for the upgrade.

I also don't like a lot of clutter in the small dash/windshield area. Not much room there already so adding a bunch of stuff (cell phone mounts, garmin, go-pro, cords, etc.) doesn't appeal to me. More stuff to get stolen. More stuff to fly around and hit me if I'm in an accident. So the "clean" factory system is appealing as well in that regard.

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
TFL always praises it as one of the best. My jl is 2019 and I've yet to use the GPS. I guess I'm old enough to know where I'm going.

Sponsored

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Mine is over 3 years out of date (on a 2021 model). Thank God for Apple CarPlay.

Red Willy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Beach High Tide, 2021 2 dr. Willys stick
Occupation
Professional Nobody

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Being a MOPAR moron all my life (please don’t judge me, we all have our sins), I’ve found the Nav system about as accurate as an a-bomb. I think that if the DONNER PARTY used uConnect maps, their plight would have been the same.

Being an optimist, I spent $150 for a MAP UPDATE CD released mere days prior. Surely the new maps would show the railroad tracks that have been there since the 1800’s and maybe they’ll show the Lincoln Highway instead of a goat trail used by the ancient Iroquois? Nope. The maps in my Hellcat, PowerWagon and Jeep are all hit and miss at best.

IMO - Garmin is the way to go. It’s portable. If you have to hike out, carrying your Jeep to reference the map could be painful. If a trail mate needs to do a parts run for ya, loaning them your Garmin to ensure they can find their way back is doable. Lastly, you can always count on @Dagwood but what if he has a heart attack brought on by old age or worse, has a geriatric moment and thinks he’s still in Alabama?

If economics are a consideration, downloading maps to your tablet/phone is a great alternative as well.

Sponsored

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
Uconnect system is better than most-depends on where you are, I've been through a few states using it and has worked well, but for the 2021 JLUR they gave me 6months of onXroad-to wit is what I actually use on the unfamiliar trails that I have been on. But as a backup that I suggest if you're leaving the grid and enjoying everything-is to get an Iridium 9575 (emergency use). the Inreach mini is a good system as well nothing wrong with having an alternate. shyt happens. Good Luck

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
It’s hit or miss. I’ve had it take me to some locked gates on military installations, but I’ve also had it provide more much more specific directions than google when navigating DC.

I also really like having it feed the directions into the driver display and also the feature where I can see the Map while I use the radio features simultaneously.

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
garmin recently released the "tread" an off road gps with inreach built into it. interesting device but it's pretty pricey.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
It’s good and the traffic data is spot onz Pretty much on par with Google Maps traffic data, which is awesome.
Sponsored